Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 hours ago, RealLyre said:

And yet, he ran & went with his tail between his legs to Netflix because no real cinema studio would waste big money on one of his movies :bagoverhead:

Imagine equating box office to quality. Don't doubt Scorsese and his thoughts. He's spent decades defining cinema. Put some respect on his name. Forget your fanboying.

Edited by The Chad DC

5 minutes ago, Zatt was right said:

It's not the place of fanboys to argue about this. With that said, James Gunn nailed this one:

Class act.

Lol when I click on the tweets or his profile these tweets are gone, which means he deleted them which means he probably realised comparing Scorsese not liking superhero movies to the Christians that were literally setting fire to cinemas showing last temptation of Christ is a tiny bit dramatic.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Chad DC said:

😂

Also Scorsese point remains. 60% of the mcu is not real cinema. Other movies such as Guardians and Avengers are exceptions, but I don't expect Scorsese to know these.

And who decides what's "real cinema"? The term itself means a movie, which MCU obviously fits. And then saying that they don't convey "emotional, psychological experiences" is plainly incorrect too. It's not just his problem but a lot of people seem very comfortable assuming that their experience = everyone else's.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That sounds like what someone would say before going into a theme park ride.

And I'm pretty sure he shares the same sentiments about DC, Harry Potter, the new Star Wars films, Disney remakes, Fast and Furious, etc.

that sounds like someone is jealous that franchise films get people to go to the movies while real cinema keeps them at home. 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Lol when I click on the tweets or his profile these tweets are gone, which means he deleted them which means he probably realised comparing Scorsese not liking superhero movies to the Christians that were literally setting fire to cinemas showing last temptation of Christ is a tiny bit dramatic.

The tweet still exists. 

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

nah

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

There was a typo, so he fixed and posted again, so I updated my post. Gunn raised a great point, you agreeing with him or not.

1 minute ago, Menor said:

And who decides what's "real cinema"? The term itself means a movie, which MCU obviously fits. And then saying that they don't convey "emotional, psychological experiences" is plainly incorrect too. It's not just his problem but a lot of people seem very comfortable assuming that their experience = everyone else's.

I think after decades of shaping cinema and infleucing a generation of filmmakers, Scorsese would???? Lol.

And sure the experiences differ. Scorsese and I believe from experience that most mcu movies offer nothing. Even suicide squad offers nothing. That it isn't real cinema, or at least to me, meaningful or influential. Scorsese is one of the greatest directors of all time. From his experience (which is greater than all of ours combined), mcu movies are incomparable to real cinema such as taxi driver the departed etc.

You can't judge him for that. Disagree sure, your experiences are different. But judge him for comparing mcu movies to his definition of real cinema? Nope.

2 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

I think after decades of shaping cinema and infleucing a generation of filmmakers, Scorsese would???? Lol.

And sure the experiences differ. Scorsese and I believe from experience that most mcu movies offer nothing. Even suicide squad offers nothing. That it isn't real cinema, or at least to me, meaningful or influential. Scorsese is one of the greatest directors of all time. From his experience (which is greater than all of ours combined), mcu movies are incomparable to real cinema such as taxi driver the departed etc.

You can't judge him for that. Disagree sure, your experiences are different. But judge him for comparing mcu movies to his definition of real cinema? Nope.

He frames it in a way that brooks no disagreement. Saying that he doesn't get anything out of them is one thing (and perfectly fine), saying they are not "real cinema" is phrased in quasi-objective way, implying that they offer the experience of a "theme park ride" to everyone.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Menor said:

He frames it in a way that brooks no disagreement. Saying that he doesn't get anything out of them is one thing (and perfectly fine), saying they are not "real cinema" is phrased in quasi-objective way, implying that they offer the experience of a "theme park ride" to everyone.

Oh I agree with that he takes it too far. I mean he probably watched one movie and thought it was applicable to all, which is totally wrong. Like others have mentioned, part of the frustration must come with box office, not just for him but a lot of great directors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

what annoys me is him implying that his word is what defines real cinema or not. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Menor said:

I don't really give a shit what Scorcese thinks. The MCU is one of the things that regularly gets me excited to go to the theaters and the films stick with me a lot more than supposedly "higher" cinema. So he can say what he wants but to me it's definitely not "just a theme park ride".

Quite honestly, it’s the exact opposite effect for me. I forgot about pretty much every MCU movie about a week or two after I watched them and have had no desire to rewatch a good chunk of them. But there’s been quite a lot of smaller films that, even a year after last watching them, have still stuck with me and I find myself coming back to think about them every once in a while.

If the films have a great impact on you, that’s great! No one should take that away from you. But not everyone views them in the same light.

I don’t necessarily agree completely with what Scorsese says but at the same time, I don’t fault him for feeling that way because, honestly, I sometimes feel the exact same way coming out of one of the MCU films: that in the moment, it’s a great Adrenalin rush but after the film is done and over with, that feeling subsides and you start to look at with more critical eyes.

• Like 3

I really like a few of the MCU films and all (love GOTG 2 and really like Black Panther, The Avengers, Cap America 1, and Dr Strange) but who cares honestly. People can have their opinions. And honestly I find it odd that Scorcese is getting more complaints than Inarittu who literally called them cultural genocide.