Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

All this talk about whether or not the MCU movies qualify as “real movies” is only making me more upset that Joker is as divisive as it is. That movie was probably the one shot DC had at having a movie that could truly set itself apart from the MCU in any meaningful way, but it looks like it just wasn’t able to escape the shadow of the superhero genre, despite not having superheroes of any kind in it. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

All this talk about whether or not the MCU movies qualify as “real movies” is only making me more upset that Joker is as divisive as it is. That movie was probably the one shot DC had at having a movie that could truly set itself apart from the MCU in any meaningful way, but it looks like it just wasn’t able to escape the shadow of the superhero genre, despite not having superheroes of any kind in it. 

They should've given it to an actually good writer. Either way, I think it's still gunning for Oscar noms. I even think it has a good chance at winning Screenplay (even if it is the worst part of the movie).

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They should've given it to an actually good writer. Either way, I think it's still gunning for Oscar noms. I even think it has a good chance at winning Screenplay (even if it is the worst part of the movie).

Over Zaillian for Irishman? I'd... be very surprised. 

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I really like a few of the MCU films and all (love GOTG 2 and really like Black Panther, The Avengers, Cap America 1, and Dr Strange) but who cares honestly. People can have their opinions. And honestly I find it odd that Scorcese is getting more complaints than Inarittu who literally called them cultural genocide.

Yeah honestly it's not something I'm particularly outraged about even if I don't like how he phrased his opinion. In the end what he says doesn't affect my enjoyment. 

To be frank, whenever someone says that the MCU movies aren’t “real movies”, I actually do see where they’re coming from. The MCU feels like a very “corporate” entity. Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I’m aware that filmmaking is a business, which means that every movie is basically a corporate product, but there is still a certain factory-like vibe to the MCU. It doesn’t mean the movies are bad, but it’s pretty clear that they’re more producer driven than they are director driven. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

To be frank, whenever someone says that the MCU movies aren’t “real movies”, I actually do see where they’re coming from. The MCU feels like a very “corporate” entity. Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I’m aware that filmmaking is a business, which means that every movie is basically a corporate product, but there is still a certain factory-like vibe to the MCU. It doesn’t mean the movies are bad, but it’s pretty clear that they’re more producer driven than they are director driven. 

I feel the same way about recycled mobster movies. 

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

what annoys me is him implying that his word is what defines real cinema or not. 

It would piss me off if Marvel said the same thing. Plenty of movies nothing like MCU movies in the same genre have been awesome. He's a great filmmaker no doubt. However he is not god and comes off as a giant pompous doosh. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Too bad he's not even close to the director that Scorsese is though

I wasn't actually taking shots at Scorsese by the way, he's one of my favorite directors. Not even close? They are not even playing the same game. Scorsese could never direct a movie like Terminator 2 and James Cameron could never direct something like Taxi Driver

He's definitely made multiple films worse than the genre is shitting on. Most of his films are in a different league although I'd say IW,WW, BB, Dark Night, EG, SM2 are all incredibly good in general. 

Edited by cdsacken