Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

30 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

The screentime a female character in a film is irrelevant when judging it. How is that a weird sentiment? I'm sure by your other comments that you'd agree if the genders were reversed (ie female lead with WHITE male supporting).

And if you watch the movie, you'll realize that zazie is also a notable character and the second most important one. Also, JP deserves all the praise. Its his film. Hence why this isn't an ensemble ala TDK. Nonetheless, everyone brings their A game and all actors/actresses deserve praise. JP does not elevate everyone, they play off one another to put elevate JP himself. The De niro talkshow scene shows that.

I really think you should watch the film and then discuss. Reviews don't do it justice. Even the 10/10 ones.

I didn't even mention screentime. I'm talking about writing.

People I trust have seen the movie and were not impressd with what Zazie is given and that's putting it mildly. After hearing about her role, it makes me want to see the movie less...didn't think that was possible. 

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s not an ensemble film. I’m not sure what you’d expect. Besides, Robert De Niro was pretty good in it. 

It doesn't have to be an ensemble to have more than one standout character or performance. I'm certainly far more impressed with movies that manage to have at least 2 or 3 fully realized characters.

19 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I didn't even mention screentime. I'm talking about writing.

People I trust have seen the movie and were not impressd with what Zazie is given and that's putting it mildly. After hearing about her role, it makes me want to see the movie less...didn't think that was possible. 

It doesn't have to be an ensemble to have more than one standout character or performance. I'm certainly far more impressed with movies that manage to have at least 2 or 3 fully realized characters.

I'm curious are you upset by the content she is given, her role, and/or the frequency of which she appears with?

And De Niro is a stand out. So is Gary. Frances. It's sort of like Heath Ledger, everyone wants to talk about the Joker performance because it is iconic that it overshadows the rest of cast, even though they are great.

23 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

It’s a character study for the Joker. The entire movie is centered around him. It doesn’t mean the other actors gave bad performances, but they’re simply there to contribute to the Joker’s story. 

20 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

I'm curious are you upset by the content she is given, her role, and/or the frequency of which she appears with?

And De Niro is a stand out. So is Gary. Frances. It's sort of like Heath Ledger, everyone wants to talk about the Joker performance because it is iconic that it overshadows the rest of cast, even though they are great.

Well I'm not upset at all, just wholly unimpressed with what I'm sure Phillips thought was clever writing for her character and interaction with Arthur. 

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s a character study for the Joker. The entire movie is centered around him. It doesn’t mean the other actors gave bad performances, but they’re simply there to contribute to the Joker’s story. 

In almost every movie centered on one character, the other characters are there to essentially contribute to his or her story. That doesn't preclude a film from having multiple great or interesting characters. The best storytellers have shown us this. 

11 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Well I'm not upset at all, just wholly unimpressed with what I'm sure Phillips thought was clever writing for her character and interaction with Arthur. 

In almost every movie centered on one character, the other characters are there to essentially contribute to his or her story. That doesn't preclude a film from having multiple great or interesting characters. The best storytellers have shown us this. 

It was pretty clever at least to me and the two audiences I've watched it with.

didn't like the way zazie's character was handled imo. *super vague could be interpreted as spoilerish* vv

Spoiler

was pretty obvious what was going on with her so through all her scenes i'm just thinking "c'mon let's get to the point here"

Edited by CoolioD1

16 hours ago, The Chad DC said:

The screentime a female character in a film is irrelevant when judging it. How is that a weird sentiment? I'm sure by your other comments that you'd agree if the genders were reversed (ie female lead with WHITE male supporting).

And if you watch the movie, you'll realize that zazie is also a notable character and the second most important one. Also, JP deserves all the praise. Its his film. Hence why this isn't an ensemble ala TDK. Nonetheless, everyone brings their A game and all actors/actresses deserve praise. JP does not elevate everyone, they play off one another to put elevate JP himself. The De niro talkshow scene shows that.

I really think you should watch the film and then discuss. Reviews don't do it justice. Even the 10/10 ones.

This makes me want to see it less. 

Edited by cdsacken

16 hours ago, The Chad DC said:

This year CBM:

1)Joker, 9.9/10.

2)Shazam, 8.2/10

3)Teen titans vs TTG, 8/10

4)EG, (8/10)

5)FFH, (7)

6)CM, (6/10).

LMAO joker Stans are insane. This movie is better than Shawshank Redemption!

9 hours ago, HeadShot said:

Cinemascore disagrees with you! 

Welp. My point is dead now. I think I'll cite imdb in response 😂👍.

16 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

LMAO joker Stans are insane. This movie is better than Shawshank Redemption!

Never said that.

50 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Welp. My point is dead now. I think I'll cite imdb in response 😂👍.

Never said that.

lol at imdb where people can vote without having seen the movie. MCU movies are better and more liked by the majority of people. That's a fact. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

lol at imdb where people can vote without having seen the movie. MCU movies are better and more liked by the majority of people. That's a fact. 

That's quite the subjective fact my friend. *Pulls out TDK card*. Heck I don't even need TDK, Joker is better. Now thats a fact. And cinemascore is less reliable than imdb in this case. Horror movies do worse. Also SS has a B+ and Ad Astra has a B-. So which one is really better?

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, The Chad DC said:

That's quite the subjective fact my friend. *Pulls out TDK card*. Heck I don't even need TDK, Joker is better. Now thats a fact. And cinemascore is less reliable than imdb in this case. Horror movies do worse. Also SS has a B+ and Ad Astra has a B-. So which one is really better?

Nah, what is subjective however is you thinking TDK and Joker are better. I have cinemascore + boxoffice gross on my side. When a movie grosses 2.8 billion there is no competition. It's the most loved franchise in the world. Your opinion is in the minority. Comic book movies tend to have inflated cinema scores due to fan rush. B+ for Joker is tragic no matter how you spin it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

I don’t see how Joker having a B+ Cinemascore means anything bad. It’s a grounded and unpleasant character study with no superheroes or elaborate action set pieces. It’s obviously not a crowd pleaser. I certainly was never expecting it to have a high Cinemascore rating. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Nah, what is subjective however is you thinking TDK and Joker are better. I have cinemascore + boxoffice gross on my side. When a movie grosses 2.8 billion there is no competition. It's the most loved franchise in the world. Your opinion is in the minority. Comic book movies tend to have inflated cinema scores due to fan rush. B+ for Joker is tragic no matter how you spin it. 

There's the box office defence. Box office does not equate quality (and no I don't care if you mean that it shows that how many people loved it, you stated that marvel movies are better; thus, we are discussing quality). And I dont need to spin anything unless if you really think SS is better than Ad astra.

Cinemascore is not indicative of quality. So isn't imdb and thats my point. You cant cite these review metrics as a measure of quality. That was the joke in my OP. Everything is subjective, but I'm not gonna argue with someone who thinks mcu movies are better than TDK. It's pointless. We clearly have way different opinions and that's fine. Whatever makes us happy.

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, The Chad DC said:

There's the box office defence. Box office does not equate quality (and no I don't care if you mean that it shows that how many people loved it, you stated that marvel movies are better; thus, we are discussing quality). And I dont need to spin anything unless if you really think SS is better than Ad astra.

Cinemascore is not indicative of quality. So isn't imdb and thats my point. You cant cite these review metrics as a measure of quality. That was the joke in my OP. Everything is subjective, but I'm not gonna argue with someone who thinks mcu movies are better than TDK. It's pointless. We clearly have way different opinions and that's fine. Whatever makes us happy.

Different opinions are fine. You just fall into the minority. The world prefers the MCU it's simple. 

Unpopular opinion: Aquaman is the best DC movie ever. The Dark Bore can't compete. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see how Joker having a B+ Cinemascore means anything bad. It’s a grounded and unpleasant character study with no superheroes or elaborate action set pieces. It’s obviously not a crowd pleaser. I certainly was never expecting it to have a high Cinemascore rating. 

Yes, we know. Hence why MCU is more liked! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On IMDB you can give a movie a 10 before it's even in theaters so it's not any impartial or useful metric. It's had problems with bots for years. At least Rotten Tomatoes new Verified Audience score requires you to actually see the damn movie first.

There's a reason studios use RT scores in promos but not IMDB lmao

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1