Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

3 good movies in a sea of awful (not even average) movies isn't worth it. It took sony 15 years to make a good spider-man movie again. The MCU isn't a homogenized product - it's a diverse movie universe spanning multiple genres. Prime example: Winter solider vs. GOTG

Sony made 3 Spider-man movies between Spider-man 2 and Homecoming though and the only absolutely horrible one out of those was TASM 2. And since when was The Wolverine a bad film too? There are the two Deadpool movies that are considered good too (and I'm not even a fan of them) .

And don't tell me Winter Soldier is a political thriller or GOTG is a raunchy comedy. They have those elements but both are almost certainly superhero movies. They aren't films of different genres. Neither are Logan, Deadpool, and ITSV but those movies at the very least push what the genre can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sony made 3 Spider-man movies between Spider-man 2 and Homecoming though and the only absolutely horrible one out of those was TASM 2. And since when was The Wolverine a bad film too? There are the two Deadpool movies that are considered good too (and I'm not even a fan of them) .

And don't tell me Winter Soldier is a political thriller or GOTG is a raunchy comedy. They have those elements but both are almost certainly superhero movies. They aren't films of different genres. Neither are Logan, Deadpool, and ITSV but those movies at the very least push what the genre can do.

A few movies "pushing what the genre can do" is not worth it at this point to me. I would rather see Storm done justice, Good X-Men and FF movies, a Spider-Man connected to the larger Marvel universe. And the MCU movies are certainly different enough for me. If you want more "genre-pushing" movies, there's always WB. I'm sure they are open to doing more movies like Joker. 

44 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Spiderman 3 was horrible

TASM was bad

TASM 2 was horrible

Like I said took them 15 years to make a good spider-man movie without Disney. The ratio of bad to good movies for the marvel characters is awful. Thankfully Disney bought fox and we will soon be blessed with amazing x-men / fantastic 4 movies! 

You are completely wrong. "Superhero movies" isn't a genre but a format of storytelling. So yes: Winter solider is a political thriller and GOTG is a comedy space opera.  

Edited by HeadShot
  • Knock It Off 1

22 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Joker isn't genre pushing. It's just re-using the same ol' Nolan format which WB failed to replicate with the DCEU (MOS, BVS).  

It may not be but that's what its defenders see it as and the kind of movie fans point to when they talk about wanting variety and being different from the MCU. 

44 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Spiderman 3 was horrible

TASM was bad

TASM 2 was horrible

You are completely wrong. "Superhero movies" isn't a genre but a format of storytelling. So yes: Winter solider is a political thriller and GOTG is a comedy space opera.  

Spiderman 3 was fun

TASM was good

TASM 2 was horrible

And superhero movies are a genre lol. Calling Winter Soldier a political thriller is like calling Mad Max Fury Road a period piece. But either way, weren't you the guy that said Scorcese only makes films of one genre and is misogynistic. Not suprised you have some absolutely terrible takes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joker isn't genre pushing. It's just re-using the same ol' Nolan format which WB failed to replicate with the DCEU (MOS, BVS).  

It’s really not like the Nolan movies. The Nolan Batman movies were still superhero movies at the end of the day. Joker isn’t a superhero movie at all. 

“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn’t like his stuff either,” Jackson told Variety‘s Angelique Jackson at the grand opening of Tyler Perry’s new studio in Atlanta, Ga. “Everybody’s got an opinion, so I mean it’s okay. Ain’t going to stop nobody from making movies.”

Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/samuel-l-jackson-martin-scorseses-marvel-1203360546/

I love Sam. :hahaha:

Edited by Zatt was right

2 hours ago, HeadShot said:

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s really not like the Nolan movies. The Nolan Batman movies were still superhero movies at the end of the day. Joker isn’t a superhero movie at all. 

:And "Joker" borrows a hell of a lot more from Scorsese then Nolan, anyway.

24 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I guess Marvel is like the Patriots now: being the biggest and having tons of success means everyone wants to take them down a peg?

Well, the Patriots have cheated before, so I don’t know if that’s the comparison Kevin Feige would appreciate. 

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, the Patriots have cheated before, so I don’t know if that’s the comparison Kevin Feige would appreciate. 

Fudging box office numbers is cheating , me thinks...😏

• ...wtf 1

13 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Spiderman 3 was fun

TASM was good

TASM 2 was horrible

And superhero movies are a genre lol. Calling Winter Soldier a political thriller is like calling Mad Max Fury Road a period piece. But either way, weren't you the guy that said Scorcese only makes films of one genre and is misogynistic. Not suprised you have some absolutely terrible takes.

If you standard for an enjoyable movie is as low as spider-man 3 and TASM then I don't see why you are complaining about the MCU LOL. 

They aren't a genre. You're wrong. A superhero movie can be any genre. The MCU has a lot of variety.

Superhero films been commercially successful in a wide variety of genres such as action, horror, fantasy, comedy etc.

Others have postulated that its box=office dominance is in part due to its flexibility. For example, with the common element being that they all feature heroes with extraordinary abilities and typically in a distinctive costume, many successful superhero films have used a plethora of genres such as horror (Blade), thriller (Unbreakable), period drama (Captain America: The First Avenger), space opera (Guardians of the Galaxy), family film (The Incredibles), teen film (Spider-Man: Homecoming), heist film (Ant-Man), fantasy (Doctor Strange), neo-noir (The Dark Knight), political drama (Captain America: The Winter Soldier), and Western (Logan).[25]

I said Scorsese shouldn't be talking about anyone being generic/formulaic when he's made the same gangster movie multiple times. I'm aware that he's made other movies as well. Don't see how this is related to anything - except an attempt at deflecting from the facts. 

14 hours ago, HeadShot said:

Like I said took them 15 years to make a good spider-man movie without Disney.

Maybe (if they continue working together for long enough) they’ll get the to same quality level as Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. 

• Thanks 1

If you standard for an enjoyable movie is as low as spider-man 3 and TASM then I don't see why you are complaining about the MCU LOL. 

They aren't a genre. You're wrong. A superhero movie can be any genre. The MCU has a lot of variety.

I said Scorsese shouldn't be talking about anyone being generic/formulaic when he's made the same gangster movie multiple times. I'm aware that he's made other movies as well. Don't see how this is related to anything - except an attempt at deflecting from the facts. 

I'm not complaining about the MCU. Did I say I don't like the MCU? I just said that not all the film's you mentioned are bad. And Wikipedia doesn't count as a source. You aren't pointing out facts. Superhero films are superhero films, they only feature elements of other genres. Blade isn't anywhere close to being a horror film and Winter Soldier is nowhere close to being a political thriller.

Scorsese has made like 4 gangster films including The Irishman so again, you are wrong. Try watching his films in the first place mate.

Edited by lorddemaxus

It might've taken Sony a while to make another truly great Spider-Man movie but in the meantime they gave us Spectacular Spider-Man and Spider-Man PS4

Whenever something truly great comes out about Spider-Man it's usually Sony behind the wheel

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Maybe (if they continue working together for long enough) they’ll get the to same quality level as Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. 

Homecoming and Far From Home already surpassed those movies. 

33 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm not complaining about the MCU. Did I say I don't like the MCU? I just said that not all the film's you mentioned are bad. And Wikipedia doesn't count as a source. You aren't pointing out facts. Superhero films are superhero films, they only feature elements of other genres. Blade isn't anywhere close to being a horror film and Winter Soldier is nowhere close to being a political thriller.

Scorsese has made like 4 gangster films including The Irishman so again, you are wrong. Try watching his films in the first place mate.

They are bad. No matter how you spin it - the ratio of good to bad movies remains awful. The MCU has a far better track record. Anyone that's a fan of Marvel should want all the characters to be under the same roof. 

LOL at stale Wikipedia drags in 2019. You do realize that Wikipedia quotes all it's sources and you can verify them yourself? If you don't know how to use the site I'll gladly help you out.  Superhero films isn't a genre.  Again GOTG is nothing like TWS, even a 4 year old could tell you the difference. 

"Old man yelling at a cloud" Scorsese isn't relevant to this discussion. 

• Haha 1