Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

7 hours ago, mikee11 said:

Don't follow the economy that closely but I had some small savings and a friend told me it's a good idea to buy gold because it's a safe haven in an unpredictable and weak economy,  that was about a year ago and gold was $1200, now it's $1500. So for me it not only worked as a safe haven but made money of it too. And apparently it still has ways to go 

Gold track record in the last 50 year's as a source of investment for an individual (specially) if you are young has been really terrible:

1536602670694-goldinf.png

But being all time low could mean that it is not a bad time to buy if one would really want too, people that invested in it in the 70s to 1990 lost a fortune.

SP-500-Total-Return-Versus-Gold-Since-19

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A solid blue chip stock in a company you know is not going anywere is better.

I would say to simply go with low cost index fund / ETF

Edited by Barnack

On 10/14/2019 at 6:38 PM, Jake Gittes said:

But studios obviously are prejudiced, because they routinely lose money on IP-driven movies and still only keep doing more of them, but very rarely extend that courtesy to movies driven by individual voices.

Not sure what you mean by that, the success right % is all that matter and it is still quite higher on IPs and sequels potential are more often there (Crazy Rich Asians is an IP-driven affair with the sequels already in place)

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Gold track record in the last 50 year's as a source of investment for an individual (specially) if you are young has been really terrible:

1536602670694-goldinf.png

But being all time low could mean that it is not a bad time to buy if one would really want too.

SP-500-Total-Return-Versus-Gold-Since-19

I would say to simply go with low cost index fund / ETF

Point is there are better economic shelters then gold.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:24 AM, The Futurist said:

Except we never left the 2008 crash.

So the millenial complain with the extra easy life when they went about 100% of their adult life was lived in an literal economic crash at the same time ?

You need to keep the balance in the hot take's.

Something just occurred to me: For a few months, nothing  from Marvel/Disney at the fate of "The New Mutants".

Just adds to my opinion the thing, if it gets any kind of a threatical release, is going to be dumped.

"(Batman v Superman) may have been the most compelling superhero movie from a decade glutted with superhero movies."

https://mashable.com/article/unpopular-entertainment-we-loved-this-decade/

We've been saying this for more than 3 years. Everyone will eventually come to their senses and appreciate how great that movie was and will regret not standing behind the cinematic universe Zack Snyder was shaping up. 

The article also mentions another Zack Snyder masterpiece, Sucker Punch.

• Haha 2

I feel like BvS had a ton of potential but the motivation for Batman and Superman fighting is ridiculously thin, the "Martha" moment is forced, and it devolves into a really bad final battle against a really boring Doomsday. I don't see how any reevaluation is going to change that. That said I thought Justice League was a big step below BvS even, so that does make it look better in hindsight.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’ll at least take BvS over TASM2 or that godawful animated adaptation of The Killing Joke. 

That's not a hard bar to cross since both TASMW and the horrid Animated Killing Joke really sucked.

BvS just sucked slightly less then those 2.

But anyway, Napoleon's relentless blind worship of Zack Snyder and his relentless blind hatred of anything that comes from Marvel Studios is what  makes him pretty much of a joke around here.

3 hours ago, Menor said:

I feel like BvS had a ton of potential but the motivation for Batman and Superman fighting is ridiculously thin, the "Martha" moment is forced, and it devolves into a really bad final battle against a really boring Doomsday. I don't see how any reevaluation is going to change that. That said I thought Justice League was a big step below BvS even, so that does make it look better in hindsight.

Lots of movies have huge potential which is thrown away by inept handling.

And, yeah, the motivaton behind Batman's hatred of Superman is just ridiculous. Bruce Wayne blames Supes for the havoc in Metropolis instead of Zod and his followers? Makes him look like a total fool.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

That's not a hard bar to cross since both TASMW and the horrid Animated Killing Joke really sucked.

BvS just sucked slightly less then those 2.

But anyway, Napoleon's relentless blind worship of Zack Snyder and his relentless blind hatred of anything that comes from Marvel Studios is what  makes him pretty much of a joke around here.

This is not the first time you make these false claims about me. I have said this many times: I loved Ant-Man and the Wasp, and I enjoyed Captain Marvel. You always ignore that and reappear later repeating this same kind of defamation.

• Haha 2

Batman's motivations for fearing Superman are perfectly reasonable, he didn't have the information that we the audience had not only from the previous film, Man Of Steel, but also from the whole history of the character, all of us have known Superman as the perfect good guy since we're kids so maybe people have a problem looking into that situation from Batman's point of view but Zack Snyder can't be blamed for audience's lack of empathy.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think BvS would have been a legitimately great movie if Snyder wasn't the one directing. He was trying to do things he didn't have the talent to handle. Honestly, even the first two thirds would have made a good movie. The last act ruins the movie for me.

I would say the exact opposite. The last act is the only enjoyable part of the movie. The rest is an incoherent, boring mess.  

40 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Batman's motivations for fearing Superman are perfectly reasonable, he didn't have the information that we the audience had not only from the previous film, Man Of Steel, but also from the whole history of the character, all of us have known Superman as the perfect good guy since we're kids so maybe people have a problem looking into that situation from Batman's point of view but Zack Snyder can't be blamed for audience's lack of empathy.

If the audience couldn’t connect to Superman as a character, wouldn’t that have meant Synder did a bad job.

It’s not like they’re haven’t been darker takes. Injustice comes to mind, hell even the animated DCAU movies have done darker stuff with Supes.