Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Marvel didn't allow Shane Black to have a female villain in Iron Man 3 because it wouldn't sell toys. That's the studio you want making all movies? And that's the studio you're coming after Martin Scorsese to defend? But stuff like this don't shock me anymore, I gave up hope long ago.

You're just mad because BvS was a giant turd.

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Marvel didn't allow Shane Black to have a female villain in Iron Man 3 because it wouldn't sell toys. That's the studio you want making all movies? And that's the studio you're coming after Martin Scorsese to defend? But stuff like this don't shock me anymore, I gave up hope long ago.

Ike didn't allow. Have you seen Thor Ragnarok? Cate Blanchett is 10 times better than any DC female villian. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maddy said:

Please don't let your DC bias shroud your opinion. Black Panther was very important movie may not for you but lots of African American. 

Shuri and Okoye have become icon for black girls. This doesn't happen easily. 

I would love to have Joker nominated but at least be reasonable. 

It’s not my DC bias.I’m only mentioning that one film that by all means, imo, was nothing special and like every other movie in the genre.Hell Infinity War was more deserving than any other cbm last year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

I hope you're not conflating controversy with meaningful conversation.

A movie does not have to be controversial to have valuable meaning. A good and consistent theme is enough. (Not throwing shade in the Joker as a movie though, as I've not seen it yet)

I mean that with Joker people talk about gun violence, mental illness, capitalism, child abuse etc. The film tackles some very important issues and depicts them in a ver raw way.It asks from the audience to notice.And all happens in a city that may be imagined but at the end of the day it reflects every shithole in our world.

I am sorry but BP, imo, was nothing special as it checked every single box in ten Marvel formula without actually saying anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think it showed that the response to the sins of the past is not to respond in kind... 

I am sorry.I really am.I really wanted to like it.I just didn’t.And if that was the message, which sure the film made a point of it, but still at the end of the day that one floated as a general idea and in a film that at the end of the day is just another addition to the superhero genre.

30 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I mean that with Joker people talk about gun violence, mental illness, capitalism, child abuse etc. The film tackles some very important issues and depicts them in a ver raw way.It asks from the audience to notice.And all happens in a city that may be imagined but at the end of the day it reflects every shithole in our world.

Like I said though, that's not meaningful discussion. 99% of the "talk" is the left fighting with the right about things that the movie is not really about.

44 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think it showed that the response to the sins of the past is not to respond in kind... 

Black panther was a pretty good comic book movie but it isnt the oscar deserving film it was praised for, it still felt like a connect the dots marvel formulation product. Its wasnt as smart or game changing as something like The Dark Knight 

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You do realize his point was about making different kinds of films right? Would rather have films like Logan and ITSV exist alongside those shittier movies than have all the movied that feel like hhomogenised products.

3 good movies in a sea of awful (not even average) movies isn't worth it. It took sony 15 years to make a good spider-man movie again. The MCU isn't a homogenized product - it's a diverse movie universe spanning multiple genres. Prime example: Winter solider vs. GOTG

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

3 good movies in a sea of awful (not even average) movies isn't worth it. It took sony 15 years to make a good spider-man movie again. The MCU isn't a homogenized product - it's a diverse movie universe spanning multiple genres. Prime example: Winter solider vs. GOTG

Sony made 3 Spider-man movies between Spider-man 2 and Homecoming though and the only absolutely horrible one out of those was TASM 2. And since when was The Wolverine a bad film too? There are the two Deadpool movies that are considered good too (and I'm not even a fan of them) .

And don't tell me Winter Soldier is a political thriller or GOTG is a raunchy comedy. They have those elements but both are almost certainly superhero movies. They aren't films of different genres. Neither are Logan, Deadpool, and ITSV but those movies at the very least push what the genre can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sony made 3 Spider-man movies between Spider-man 2 and Homecoming though and the only absolutely horrible one out of those was TASM 2. And since when was The Wolverine a bad film too? There are the two Deadpool movies that are considered good too (and I'm not even a fan of them) .

And don't tell me Winter Soldier is a political thriller or GOTG is a raunchy comedy. They have those elements but both are almost certainly superhero movies. They aren't films of different genres. Neither are Logan, Deadpool, and ITSV but those movies at the very least push what the genre can do.

A few movies "pushing what the genre can do" is not worth it at this point to me. I would rather see Storm done justice, Good X-Men and FF movies, a Spider-Man connected to the larger Marvel universe. And the MCU movies are certainly different enough for me. If you want more "genre-pushing" movies, there's always WB. I'm sure they are open to doing more movies like Joker. 

44 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Spiderman 3 was horrible

TASM was bad

TASM 2 was horrible

Like I said took them 15 years to make a good spider-man movie without Disney. The ratio of bad to good movies for the marvel characters is awful. Thankfully Disney bought fox and we will soon be blessed with amazing x-men / fantastic 4 movies! 

You are completely wrong. "Superhero movies" isn't a genre but a format of storytelling. So yes: Winter solider is a political thriller and GOTG is a comedy space opera.  

Edited by HeadShot
  • Not Cool 1

Joker isn't genre pushing. It's just re-using the same ol' Nolan format which WB failed to replicate with the DCEU (MOS, BVS).  

22 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Joker isn't genre pushing. It's just re-using the same ol' Nolan format which WB failed to replicate with the DCEU (MOS, BVS).  

It may not be but that's what its defenders see it as and the kind of movie fans point to when they talk about wanting variety and being different from the MCU. 

44 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Spiderman 3 was horrible

TASM was bad

TASM 2 was horrible

You are completely wrong. "Superhero movies" isn't a genre but a format of storytelling. So yes: Winter solider is a political thriller and GOTG is a comedy space opera.  

Spiderman 3 was fun

TASM was good

TASM 2 was horrible

And superhero movies are a genre lol. Calling Winter Soldier a political thriller is like calling Mad Max Fury Road a period piece. But either way, weren't you the guy that said Scorcese only makes films of one genre and is misogynistic. Not suprised you have some absolutely terrible takes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

It’s really not like the Nolan movies. The Nolan Batman movies were still superhero movies at the end of the day. Joker isn’t a superhero movie at all. 

“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn’t like his stuff either,” Jackson told Variety‘s Angelique Jackson at the grand opening of Tyler Perry’s new studio in Atlanta, Ga. “Everybody’s got an opinion, so I mean it’s okay. Ain’t going to stop nobody from making movies.”

Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/samuel-l-jackson-martin-scorseses-marvel-1203360546/

I love Sam. :hahaha:

Edited by Zatt was right

2 hours ago, HeadShot said:

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s really not like the Nolan movies. The Nolan Batman movies were still superhero movies at the end of the day. Joker isn’t a superhero movie at all. 

:And "Joker" borrows a hell of a lot more from Scorsese then Nolan, anyway.

I guess Marvel is like the Patriots now: being the biggest and having tons of success means everyone wants to take them down a peg?

24 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I guess Marvel is like the Patriots now: being the biggest and having tons of success means everyone wants to take them down a peg?

Well, the Patriots have cheated before, so I don’t know if that’s the comparison Kevin Feige would appreciate.