Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

10 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

first of all 18 isn't young, people can get married around that age here.

second why should the fact that you've seen so many old movies mean anything? why are they better than more modern contemporary films? 

according to Letterboxd I've seen around 393 films and 316 of them are from the 2010s and I don't see what makes modern movies any lesser than films made from the 20th century. films like Parasite,I Saw the Devil, Roma, Captain Marvel, A Star is Born, Midsommar and Capernaum are as valid as anything made from decades ago. 

I can't talk about any of that especially considering that two of my top three favourite films, Before Sunset and Synecdoche NY, released after I was born. I was just trying to use that as an excuse to brag about the number of films I've seen that released before I was born. Sorry, I have a ego. 

Also 18 is young. At least where I live it is.

Edited by lorddemaxus

I want to talk about Watchmen spoilers but I don't know where, so here it goes:

Spoiler

I think I actually cracked something. I think that Jud is indeed Dan aka Night owl. Why? Well, yes there are fan theories going around about that, but I think that there is something that is coming that actually make this obvious, so let me list things that people pointed already about the theory and then end with my spin on it:

1) Jud has the Night owl vehicle;

2) Jud has an exemplar of Under the Hood.

But the Rorschach's Journal says that Dan is in prison, right? Well, think about this: Sister Night is clearly inspired by the supes of the old times, more so than their colleagues. She has an undercover identity, seems very close to Jud and Dan is reportedly in jail. What if he isn't tho? What if that's a cover up, just like Angela Abar's? The original graphic novel started with the Comedian being killed by Ozymandias, a mystery that developed through the series. What if the end of the TV show ended with another silver age hero?

And here is the quicker: why Laurie Blake out of all people will go to Tulsa? Yes, she's an agent now, but why her? Why specifically her? The misdirection is that we are lead to believe that Jud might have dirt on him, but the truth is that I don't see why Laurie would be in this case if it wasn't personal to her, hence why I firmly believe Jud is actually Dan Dreiberg. It makes for a great parallel for the series, making us wondering who actually killed him and most of all... why. I think that the kid at the beginning and the old man at the end are the same person and possibly a take on Black Hood, but I don't think he was the one that really killed Jud / Dan.

Just now, Zatt was right said:

I want to talk about Watchmen spoilers but I don't know where, so here it goes:

Reveal hidden contents

tv subforum.

yeah it doesn't really matter how many old movies somebody has seen. that's the kind of gatekeeping bullshit that's annoying about some film nerds. nobody HAS to see any movie. i love the old shit but let's not make it sound like homework please.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Being young isn't a good excuse for not having seen many movies. I'm 18 and I've seen about 190 films (that aren't Star Wars) from before I was born.

One problem is that classic movies are not shown on broadcast television any more, Until the late 1980's classic Hollywood movies were standard fare on TV CHannels to fill in when there was no network programming...wth classic late show format. A lot of people got their first taste of classic cinema that way. The rise of syndicated programming in the late 80's flooded the classic movies out...and the chances of being seeing them went down bigtime.

Nowdays there are cable channels who deal in classic cinema...Turner Classic Movies for instance,..but they are largely preaching to the converted. There is just not casual exposure to classic movies any more.

Edited by dudalb

Im in my early 20s and i love both The Great Dictator from 1940 and the new Joker movie. From the ca. 1100 films ive watched in my life the majority is from after they year 2000, but hundreds are much older. I think people miss out on some great stuff when they judge "old" movies as beeing too old to be interesting - and the same goes the other way.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I think the frustration is that Marvel is dominating theaters but it's doing the same formulaic thing over and over, while movies like Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman proved comic book movies can be popular and make a lot of money and yet still touch on political issues and have something to say. But Marvel plays it safe and it's dominating cinemas and is influencing other studios to pursue that same cheap and lazy result, and future is not looking good. It's pushing real artistic movies out of theaters and into streaming, so for people who love seeing real movies in a movie screen that's frustrating. Even directors who try to use the big studio, big budget machine to make art are bullied by critics and bloggers, like what happened to Zack Snyder.

So Snyder is like Trump, and no criticism would be allowed.

And if Disney were to sign a deal with Snyder, you would become pro Disney so fast it would make your head spin.

31 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Never had the courage to rewatch that movie, but was it commenting about the rather unilateral invasion of Irak type of American's interventionism ?

Yeah, but in a very clumsy way.not really providing any insight.

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah it doesn't really matter how many old movies somebody has seen. that's the kind of gatekeeping bullshit that's annoying about some film nerds. nobody HAS to see any movie. i love the old shit but let's not make it sound like homework please.

Not so much gatekeeping but basic culturally literacy. You never heard of Kurosawa, John Ford, David Lean, etc you are just plain ignorant when it comes to movies.. And ignorance is never a good thing.

Edited by dudalb

I’m 40 and have terrible taste in movies lol, like what you like imo but I’m fine with other people disliking what I like, doesn’t bother me at all.  That’s probably  why I find this whole situation with the older directors funny. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im in my early 20s and i love both The Great Dictator from 1940 and the new Joker movie. From the ca. 1100 films ive watched in my life the majority is from after they year 2000, but hundreds are much older. I think people miss out on some great stuff when they judge "old" movies as beeing too old to be interesting - and the same goes the other way.

it is true, to mildly contradict what i just said, that i think basically all of the smartest writers/critics/general thinkers on film have pretty balanced viewing diets of old, new, blockbuster, arthouse. i try to keep up with that because it's all of interest to me.

36 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I don't see what makes modern movies any lesser than films made from the 20th century. films like Parasite,I Saw the Devil, Roma, Captain Marvel, A Star is Born, Midsommar and Capernaum are as valid as anything made from decades ago. 

Captain Marvel

I don't see what makes modern movies any lesser than films made from the 20th century

You should really watch more of older stuff... You're the only person I've seen, besides one crazy feminist on RT, who loves Cap Marvel this much, even most of the braindead "woke" people are not ecstatic about it, they just liked it at best, and for the most people it's one of the most forgettable, soulless and generic cbms ever, basically everything what's wrong with MCU approach and modern mainstream movies. I really have no idea how anybody could "love" it if he's seen more than 5 movies (good ones, not F&F/Transformers).

Edited by Firepower

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Not so much gatekeeping but basic culturally literacy. You never heard of Kurosawa, John Ford, David Lean, etc you are just plain ignorant when it comes to movies.. And ignorance is never a good thing.

it doesn't really matter. people here just watch and talk about movies for fun. i love kurosawa he's a top five guy for me i've seen like 25 of his films but it really doesn't bother me if someone young doesn't know who he is. 

40 minutes ago, Firepower said:

You should really watch more of older stuff... You're the only person I've seen, besides one crazy feminist on RT, who loves Cap Marvel this much, even most of the braindead "woke" people are not ecstatic about it, they just liked it at best, and for the most people it's one of the most forgettable, soulless and generic cbms ever, basically everything what's wrong with MCU approach and modern mainstream movies. I really have no idea how anybody could "love" it if he's seen more than 5 movies (good ones, not F&F/Transformers).

Well, this person, this SHE, loves Captain Marvel and has seen more than five movies. I have seen more like 1500 movies, and most of them were “good ones, not like F&F/Transformers”.  

Maybe I loved it because I felt like Carol’s struggles resonated with me, and identified with her. 

ETA:

Like if we're gonna get real petty about, there's no moment in a Marty film - while the except of this:

Which has nothing to do with him as a filmmaker and everything to do with Liza as force of nature -- that affected me as deeply as Carol telling Yon-Rogg "I have nothing to prove to you".

True Facts.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What difference would it have made if I knew who Akira Kurosawa was? (I know of Kyoshi  Kurosawa who is apparently unknown compared to the other one) 

Would my opinion of Shoplifters or Captain Marvel or Cold War or any recent film lessen because I’ve seen a 3 hour samurai B&W movie from the 50s? 

Just now, captainwondyful said:

Well, this person, this SHE, loves Captain Marvel and has seen more than five movies. I have seen more like 1500 movies, and most of them were “good ones, not like F&F/Transformers”.  

Maybe I loved it because I felt like Carol’s struggles resonated with me, and identified with her. 

If people online would think about this a bit more we wouldn’t have so many insane arguments. People resonate with different things for different reasons and other people need to be more compassionate about that imo.

I’ve moved way past caring what people think about what I enjoy but I can’t help but shake my head at some of the comments I’ve read here or online on social media. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4