Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

9 hours ago, Firepower said:

You should really watch more of older stuff... You're the only person I've seen, besides one crazy feminist on RT, who loves Cap Marvel this much, even most of the braindead "woke" people are not ecstatic about it, they just liked it at best, and for the most people it's one of the most forgettable, soulless and generic cbms ever, basically everything what's wrong with MCU approach and modern mainstream movies. I really have no idea how anybody could "love" it if he's seen more than 5 movies (good ones, not F&F/Transformers).

Why do you keep denying that you're a bigot. "One crazy feminist" on RT LMAO. Yeah she literally turned into the feminist Joker and starting a Captain Marvel uprising.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why do you keep denying that you're a bigot. "One crazy feminist" on RT LMAO. Yeah she literally turned into the feminist Joker and starting a Captain Marvel uprising.

lorddex I think you'll enjoy life more if you won't so fcoused on American social polictics. ou

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm not really surprised that you are 18 year old, you always rush to extremes. All I did is pointed out an idiot, it doesn't really matter if he/she is feminist or not, but she's obviously one, not a single sane person would have rated Cap Marvel 5/5 and Joker 1/5 without woke politics involved.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

I'm not really surprised that you are 18 year old, you always rush to extremes. All I did is pointed out an idiot, it doesn't really matter if he/she is feminist or not, but she's obviously one, not a single sane person would have rated Cap Marvel 5/5 and Joker 1/5 without woke politics involved.

I know sane people who disliked Joker and enjoyed Captain Marvel who aren't feminists or woke. They're not movie critics either. They just happened to enjoy one more than the other. Does this invalidate their opinion and that they don't know what cinema is? Do you have to know what cinema is in order to have an opinion about movies? That's called arrogance, snobism and gatekeeping.

That's why people aren't keen on the comments from these king filmmakers. People should be allowed to like whatever they wanna like without having someone trying to say that what they like is an invader of art and despicable. It's bullshit and makes you look like people are only correct or entitled to an opinion if they agree with you, no matter if they're as informed about technicalities as you are. I don't like pop radio music but a lot of people do and that's perfectly valid. 

I like Taxi Driver. I also like Avengers. Is my opinion invalid?

I absolutely loathe gatekeeping. Some people need to get their head out of their ass asap.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

People like different movies for different reasons.

Its like really simple. Why do we need to always start debating around this matter? It leads to nothing.

I mean, in the end, we all die and turn to space dust. Even if we've watched Captain Marvel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

How am I rushing to extremes? I'm not the one here calling people who loved Captain Marvel crazy feminists or insane. Now that's extreme. Yeah I'm 18 but at least I'm not delusional.

Edited by lorddemaxus

47 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I know sane people who disliked Joker and enjoyed Captain Marvel who aren't feminists or woke. They're not movie critics either. They just happened to enjoy one more than the other. Does this invalidate their opinion and that they don't know what cinema is? Do you have to know what cinema is in order to have an opinion about movies? That's called arrogance, snobism and gatekeeping.

No, that's not my point at all. You can enjoy anything you want, my point is you can enjoy one movie more than the other, but at the same time aknowledge which one is better made. Like you can enjoy The Room very much, but at the same you can aknowledge it's not a good movie at all. Opinion is not that subjective, there are objective merits. There's a huge gap in filmmaking/storytelling/actor perfomance quality between Cap Marvel and Joker, even if you enjoyed Cap Marvel more you can easily aknowledge that Joker is just much better made movie. And if you're a "critic", you should be much smarter than the example I pointed out, normal people don't rush to such extremes because of bs in their heads.

Edited by Firepower

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

No, that's not my point at all. You can enjoy anything you want, my point is you can enjoy one movie more than the other, but at the same time aknowledge which one is better made. Like you can enjoy The Room very much, but at the same you can aknowledge it's not a good movie at all. Opinion is not that subjective, there are objective merits. There's a huge gap in filmmaking/storytelling/actor perfomance quality between Cap Marvel and Joker, even if you enjoyed Cap Marvel more you can easily aknowledge that Joker is just much better made movie. And if you're a "critic", you should be much smarter than the example I pointed out, normal people don't rush to such extremes because of bs in their heads.

This is the gatekeeping BS @MCKillswitch123was talking about. You know that Joker is objectively a better movie because? Even if you were a film academic who's studied film for decades (which you clearly aren't), movies are made to be subjective experiences. A flaw for you isnt a flaw for everyone.

Also an opinion is subjective. That's the fundamental meaning of an opinion. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How am I rushing to extremes? I'm not the one here calling people who loved Captain Marvel crazy feminists or insane. Now that's extreme. Yeah I'm 18 but at least I'm not delusional.

If you defend idiots, you're very delusional. There are objective quality merits you can't ignore. I don't call people who loved Cap Marvel feminists/insane, I call people like that who put their politics/agenda much higher than an actual quality of a movie. They can write any stupid thing they want on social media, but when they call themselves "professional critics" this is just embarassing. But I suppose you are a big fan of sites like Mediaversity which somehow went even further with crazy levels of stupidity.

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is the gatekeeping BS @MCKillswitch123was talking about. You know that Joker is objectively a better movie because? Even if you were a film academic who's studied film for decades (which you clearly aren't), movies are made to be subjective experiences. A flaw for you isnt a flaw for everyone.

Also an opinion is subjective. That's the fundamental meaning of an opinion. 

Opinion is not THAT subjective. There's a wonderful thing called "taste" if you've heard about it. People can also check if someone did a good job or not by objective quality merits. You can't say that The Room is a very well made movie because "opinion is that subjective". You can be subjective any way you want if you compare two high quality or two average quality or two low quality products, but you can't seriously claim that obviously low quality product is better made than high quality product.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Are there objective merits, though? What exactly is stopping me from saying that the screenwriting, the acting, the cinematography, the costume/production design, the visual effects, the sound design/mixing and so fort are being over or underrated in films? Do you look at Ex Machina and think it deserved the Best Visual Effects Oscar over other films released in 2015? That's just an example. There isn't anything objective about art. You can find someone in this world who will tell you that the techniques in Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel are underwhelming and they will have their reasons. And they're not invalid, because there is no law when it comes to art.

I agree that there's a difference between better made films and more enjoyable films, but again, whatever ones I put in each criteria is completely up to me and not someone else to decide. Martin Scorsese has no right to say young film fans don't know what cinema is just because Marvel puts butts in seats and he doesn't, no matter if they recur to a formulaic terrain. But it's the terrain they built and it entertains millions around the world. Spielberg has been making equally unpretentious films for decades now and they have been just as successful. Is Raiders Of The Lost Ark better and also more entertaining than Avengers? Imo, absolutely. Is it anything more than a fun action adventure film beyond how good it is at doing just that? You could say groundbreaking to an extent but it certainly wasn't the 1st unpretentious action blockbuster. Did Coppola and Scorsese have a problem back then?

And for the record, I am not a person who enjoys Captain Marvel more than Joker. Particularly not just because I don't even have an opinion on Joker as haven't even seen it yet, but also because I didn't enjoy CM. That's not to say I invalidate different opinions.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Opinion is not THAT subjective. There's a wonderful thing called "taste" if you've heard about it. People can also check if someone did a good job or not by objective quality merits. You can't say that The Room is a very well made movie because "opinion is that subjective".

Opinions are completely subjective and so are tastes. Don't go trying to change the definition of words now. It's just that we tend to agree upon certain opinions more than others. Yeah, I can say The Room and so would everyone else if we thought so. You don't even need to grasp literary theory to understand this. This is shit you learn in middle school.

Also there are no objective quality merits in any art form. And how do YOU of all people decide whether a movie is objectively good or not? You don't even know crap about film compared to many people (and even if you started studying film full time for the rest of the life, I'll say the same thing). You're acting like this is the same as calling the Earth flat or that vaccines cause autism. It isn't. Film isn't a science or math. There is no formula or thing you do to get a perfect film.

And the mediaversity website is fine. Again, catch up on literary theory. What Mediaversity does is look at movies through gender, queer, race, etc theory. Whether you think they should be RT approved critics is your opinion but the kind of thing they are doing is pretty academic and has been done for decades. We have had Marxist literary criticism exist since the start of cinema. Saying the website shouldn't be valued because you're feelings are hurt is pretty dumb because the website can easily be considered an important piece of academia.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Are there objective merits, though? What exactly is stopping me from saying that the screenwriting, the acting, the cinematography, the costume/production design, the visual effects, the sound design/mixing and so fort are being over or underrated in films? Do you look at Ex Machina and think it deserved the Best Visual Effects Oscar over other films released in 2015? That's just an example. There isn't anything objective about art. You can find someone in this world who will tell you that the techniques in Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel are underwhelming and they will have their reasons. And they're not invalid, because there is no law when it comes to art.

I agree that there's a difference between better made films and more enjoyable films, but again, whatever ones I put in each criteria is completely up to me and not someone else to decide. Martin Scorsese has no right to say young film fans don't know what cinema is just because Marvel puts butts in seats and he doesn't, no matter if they recur to a formulaic terrain. But it's the terrain they built and it entertains millions around the world. Spielberg has been making equally unpretentious films for decades now and they have been just as successful. Is Raiders Of The Lost Ark better and also more entertaining than Avengers? Imo, absolutely. Is it anything more than a fun action adventure film beyond how good it is at doing just that? You could say groundbreaking to an extent but it certainly wasn't the 1st unpretentious action blockbuster. Did Coppola and Scorsese have a problem back then?

And for the record, I am not a person who enjoys Captain Marvel more than Joker. Particularly not just because I don't even have an opinion on Joker as haven't even seen it yet, but also because I didn't enjoy CM. That's not to say I invalidate different opinions.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Opinions are completely subjective and so are tastes. Don't go trying to change the definition of words now. It's just that we tend to agree upon certain opinions more than others. Yeah, I can say The Room and so would everyone else if we thought so. You don't even need to grasp literary theory to understand this. This is shit you learn in middle school.

Also there are no objective quality merits in any art form. And how do YOU of all people decide whether a movie is objectively good or not? You don't even know crap about film compared to many people (and even if you started studying film full time for the rest of the life, I'll say the same thing). You're acting like this is the same as calling the Earth flat or that vaccines cause autism. It isn't. Film isn't a science or math. There is no formula or thing you do to get a perfect film.

And the mediaversity website is fine. Again, catch up on literary theory. What Mediaversity does is look at movies through gender, queer, race, etc theory. Whether you think they should be RT approved critics is your opinion but the kind of thing they are doing is pretty academic and has been done for decades. We have had Marxist literary criticism exist since the start of cinema. Saying the website shouldn't be valued because you're feelings are hurt is pretty dumb because the website can easily be considered an important piece of academia.

We can argue about that forever, to me there's an edge when your opinion is still valid and when you are just insane. I don't believe in complete subjectiveness of everything, sorry. Just because you can say any stupid/nonsensical thing you want doesn't automatically make your opinion valid.

As for Mediaversity, it doesn't belong to RT for one simple reason: they officially don't review the movie itself. It's like adding review of amount of blood in movie (F for no blood, A for blood pool) in the same bunch as legit movie reviews. But at least Mediaversity acknowledges that, unlike some reviewers who hide that bs behind "movie reviews", but that's fully RT's fault.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We can argue about that forever, to me there's an edge when your opinion is still valid and when you are just insane. I don't believe in complete subjectiveness of everything, sorry. Just because you can say any stupid/nonsensical thing you want doesn't automatically make your opinion valid.

you could've just said "people who disagree with me are insane" and saved yourself all that trouble. 

and I liked Captain Marvel as much as Joker for different reasons

• Disbelief 1

48 minutes ago, Firepower said:

As for Mediaversity, it doesn't belong to RT for one simple reason: they officially don't review the movie itself. It's like adding review of amount of blood in movie (F for no blood, A for blood pool) in the same bunch as legit movie reviews. But at least Mediaversity acknowledges that, unlike some reviewers who hide that bs behind "movie reviews", but that's fully RT's fault.

There's no complete subjectiveness to everything. But there is when it comes to art. If you think art is in any way objective, I hate to break it to you but you're the insane one, my dear friend. If someone says they think Birdemic is better than Germany Year Zero, they're in their right, no matter how crazy they might sound. There's nothing factual about your enjoyment of film. It's all subjective about it. Plain and simple.

• Like 1