Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Man has good taste!

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

BTW waiting for Snyder's #1 fan to show up condemning us to hell for daring to criticize the great god Zack.

Oh darling, I don't need to defend Zack Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen.

His movie not only had 5 times more viewers on opening weekend than the flop tv show's premiere (and that's adding streaming views and repeats), but was also much better received by audiences (going by the Rotten Tomatoes score).

I still haven't checked the tv show, I really hope it does well. It's impossible to top Zack Snyder in anything, but hopefully it's entertaining enough, and a good showcase for Regina King's amazing talent.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Even though I’m not one of those people who likes to jump on the “Zack Snyder sucks” bandwagon, I certainly do wish he didn’t insist on making the characters in Watchmen seem “cool”, when the whole point of the graphic novel was that these people (especially Rorschach) are crazy and pathetic. We might not have had to deal with all of these “HOW DARE THEY MAKE WATCHMEN WOKE” videos on YouTube if that were the case. 

Moore said the whole idea of Watchmen was,if you looked at it realistically, what kind of people would become comic book style masked heros.

Answer: With a very few exceptions, people with real mental and emotional issues, and some who see it as a chance to become a hero and then cash in (Dollar Bill and Silk Spectre). Which is why there is only one actual hero with Superpowers"Dr Manhattan, and the way his powers impacted him gave him severe mental problems. The Night Owls seem to be the only ones who actually want to do some good. (If you accept Before Watchmen as canon add Shioluette as one of the good heros).

Snyder seemed to totally miss this because he was so obsessed with making his shots match the panals in the graphic novel. CLassic example of getting so bogged down in minor details you miss the main point.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Oh darling, I don't need to defend Zack Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen.

His movie not only had 5 times more viewers on opening weekend than the flop tv show's premiere (and that's adding streaming views and repeats), but was also much better received by audiences (going by the Rotten Tomatoes score).

I still haven't checked the tv show, I really hope it does well. It's impossible to top Zack Snyder in anything, but hopefully it's entertaining enough, and a good showcase for Regina King's amazing talent.

You really going with "because it sold more tickets it was better?".

And it's very easy to top Zack Snyder in a lot of things.

You really don't get your blind, over the top worship of Snyder has made you a laughing stock around here

27 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It is the same shit that’s made me grow tired of CBMs recently, well that and other reasons.

I'm REALLY excited for BoP because it actually looks interesting and weird and fun (based on the plot leaks and trailer). I am a bit interested to watch Wonder Woman 1984 and Doctor Strange 2 but that's because I really liked their previous solo movies. Everything else that has a proper release date looks boring as hell and the constant fanboy talk is just tiring to see.

Same thing with Star Wars too which is why I'm glad that TROS is the last Skywalker movie. Im not interested in any upcoming Star Wars movie after TROS except for the RJ movie.

Edited by lorddemaxus

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Regina King's amazing talent

At least we found something we agree on lmao

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm REALLY excited for BoP because it actually looks interesting and weird and fun (based on the plot leaks and trailer). I am a bit interested to watch Wonder Woman 1984 and Doctor Strange 2 but that's because I really liked their previous solo movies. Everything else looks like boring as hell.

Dr. Strange is like the epitome of boring 

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Doctor Strange is underrated and one of the best films of the genre. It’s not praised enough. Overrated MCU films? Ant-Man.

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's impossible to top Zack Snyder in anything

Yeah, he excels at half assed themes and poor character development.

Synder pre Sucker Punch is infinitely better  Synder post Sucker Punch

• Haha 1

Ken Loach is known and well liked enough in britain but his films have never crossed over stateside (like i'm sure we won't see a self-pitying james gunn instagram post about this cos he's probably never seen a Loach film). doesn't surprise me because they're very british not in a wanky the crown/downton abbey way but actually british. but yeah his films like Cathy Come Home and I, Daniel Blake have actually impacted and shaped british politics. it's a bit ridiculous to do the "lol he hate us coz he ain't us he's just jealous" routine with him. it's not what he's after with filmmaking. asking him about marvel movies is like asking dracula about garlic bread.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You really going with "because it sold more tickets it was better?".

Funny how that argument goes away when comparing MCU films to BvS

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

If you told me this at the start of the year I would have agreed with you but after rewatching it, I realised how much I missed. I loved how the film was embedded in spirituality and religion and explored death and the beauty of life. Even the seemingly mediocre villain is part of what gives the movie its substance. Honestly, everyone who didn't like the movie the first time should rewatch it. It's probably the most rewarding movie to rewatch out of any MCU film.

20 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Ken Loach is known and well liked enough in britain but his films have never crossed over stateside (like i'm sure we won't see a self-pitying james gunn instagram post about this cos he's probably never seen a Loach film). doesn't surprise me because they're very british not in a wanky the crown/downton abbey way but actually british. but yeah his films like Cathy Come Home and I, Daniel Blake have actually impacted and shaped british politics. it's a bit ridiculous to do the "lol he hate us coz he ain't us he's just jealous" routine with him. it's not what he's after with filmmaking. asking him about marvel movies is like asking dracula about garlic bread.

Kes, The Wind the Shakes the Barley, and Up the Junction (the other version is good too but Ken Loach's version isn't talked about much even though it helped shape UK's abortion laws) are brilliant too. I honestly doubt we would find many filmmakers as brave as Ken Loach. He's one of the very few filmmakers who are actually interested at interrogating the status quo in such a deep way (which is also why his movies are also so influential in the UK).

Edited by lorddemaxus

On 10/21/2019 at 8:53 AM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Okay now I understand the bitter old man complaints.

Ladies and gentlemen, we got em!  #AltRightScorsese

Edited by Ozymandias

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Ken Loach...I remember his great films from...from...hold a second..that one film from....and that other one about....well you know the ones I mean.

*looks at IMDB, yep nada zip zilch

just so we’re keeping score, Ken Loach has won the Palme D’or twice and Marvel has won it zero times.

• Not Cool 1

On 10/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, CoolioD1 said:

James Gunn on instagram:

goddamnit every time I see Fredo I think of Chris Cuomo now....

• Haha 1

I actually think Ant-Man and its sequel are underrated, because most MCU fans don't give these two movies the credit they deserve for being the best MCU franchise, and especially the second one, for being the BEST MCU movie by far, and one of the best comic book movies ever made. I know it still follows the tired MCU formula, but it does something interesting and different with it.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Doesn't he have some most Palme d'Or finalist type of records ?

I felt RDJ closed that debate in a lovely way, is Howard Stern show not radio ? The question in itself make little sense for the common us that do not have a definition of Cinema that goes beyond a feature length moving image and require the person making the statement to give a more restrictive definition that would exclude Guardian of The Galaxy for having a starting point to grasp with.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, he isn't at fault for you being ignorant though is it?

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

just so we’re keeping score, Ken Loach has won the Palme D’or twice and Marvel has won it zero times.

I knew this when I posted. Felt the "holier than thous" would chime in as expected and you didn't disappoint.

Art is subjective which makes his and any others "critique" fair for them but not some blanket fact.

Thanks for playing and taking the bait. I mean shit, I've been around since the BOM forum days. Knee jerk reactions like "ignorant"!! 😂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If you told me this at the start of the year I would have agreed with you but after rewatching it, I realised how much I missed. I loved how the film was embedded in spirituality and religion and explored death and the beauty of life. Even the seemingly mediocre villain is part of what gives the movie its substance. Honestly, everyone who didn't like the movie the first time should rewatch it. It's probably the most rewarding movie to rewatch out of any MCU film.

I rewatched it and it's even more paint-by-numbers superhero origin 101

• Disbelief 1