Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

47 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We can argue about that forever, to me there's an edge when your opinion is still valid and when you are just insane. I don't believe in complete subjectiveness of everything, sorry. Just because you can say any stupid/nonsensical thing you want doesn't automatically make your opinion valid.

And I'm sorry but you're just an elitist jerk who's also just plain wrong. Not only are you unable to comprehend middle school level stuff but definitions of basic words like "opinion". Please if you think opinions aren't completely subjective then go ahead and make you're own English language with all these warped meanings. 

If opinions aren't completely subjective then facts aren't completely objective. Does that mean vaccines can really cause autism? OMG, Firepower you're onto something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

There's nothing factual about your enjoyment of film.

This doesn't just apply to enjoyment but how you interpret and understand the film. Movies are literally made to create an emotional reaction. You can't apply objectivity to emotion.

• Like 3

Also firepower if it wasn't clear, my qualm with you saying opinions aren't completely subjective isnt that you are saying film criticism is objective (although that is also a dumb thing to say) but the fact that you can't use basic English properly. Everyone learns from childhood that opinion = subjective and facts = objective. An opinion by default can't have any objectivity in it. Maybe rationality but if something is objective then it's a fact. Plain and simple.

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

And I'm sorry but you're just an elitist jerk who's also just plain wrong.

You basically undermine your own statements, ahahahah.

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not only are you unable to comprehend middle school level stuff but definitions of basic words like "opinion". Please if you think opinions aren't completely subjective then go ahead and make you're own English language with all these warped meanings. 

I honestly don't care what your middle school teached you. if they didn't teach you to analyze what you read and distinguishing something that makes sense from something completely nonsensical, then I don't know what to say. We are talking exactly about art opinions, not any opinion about any subject. Art is subjective of course, but there are objective merits about it, you can't believe, but some aspects are really close to math and math is not an opinion. If you think that opinions like "movie is bad because protagonist is white" or "movie is great because random character uses instead Glock 43 of Magnum" are valid, worthy of respect and not just plain stupid/nonsensical/insane, so be it. But it doesn't mean those opinions are worthy of attention or respect.

Edited by Firepower

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

you are saying film criticism is objective

I never said that, I said that there's an edge of subjectiveness in evaluating art that distinguishes stupidity from valid opinion.

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Everyone learns from childhood that opinion = subjective and facts = objective. An opinion by default can't have any objectivity in it. Maybe rationality but if something is objective then it's a fact. Plain and simple.

Again, you rush to extremes, I never said that opinion is objective, I'm saying there are objective merits in evaluating some aspects of any work. And do you realize that opinion about politics/every day life stuff/philosophy is not the same thing as opinion about art? Because there are differences. But I guess you didn't read what I wrote, did you?

Edited by Firepower

40 minutes ago, Firepower said:

You basically undermine your own statements, ahahahah.

I honestly don't care what your middle school teached you. if they didn't teach you to analyze what you read and distinguishing something that makes sense from something completely nonsensical, then I don't know what to say. We are talking exactly about art opinions, not any opinion about any subject. Art is subjective of course, but there are objective merits about it, you can't believe, but some aspects are really close to math and math is not an opinion. If you think that opinions like "movie is bad because protagonist is white" or "movie is great because random character uses instead Glock 43 of Magnum" are valid, worthy of respect and not just plain stupid/nonsensical/insane, so be it. But I doesn't mean those opinions are worthy of attention or respect.

Well, if there are people who judge their enjoyment of film based on the protagonist's gender/race/sexuality/etc., that's their burden to bear. It's easy to say that they're being stupid and stubborn but the fact of the matter is that they are making a judgment value over the film's choices. It's their burden to bear and it reveals their personality given what they think of a movie is based off of that criteria, but it doesn't make their opinions invalid. They're opinions. They saw the movie, that's what they think.

But my stake in this argument isn't even feminism or Mediaversity or whatever, but pure and simply the "Marvel doesn't make real movies or real art" notion that is just fucking pointless and displays classlessness and gatekeeping snobism.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

40 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I never said that, I said that there's an edge of subjectiveness in evaluating art that distinguishes stupidity from valid opinion.

Again, you rush to extremes, I never said that opinion is objective, I'm saying there are objective merits in evaluating some aspects of any work. And do you realize that opinion about politics/every day life stuff/philosophy is not the same thing as opinion about art? Because there are differences. But I guess you didn't read what I wrote, did you?

First of all an opinion is an opinion. An opinion in politics is as subjective as an opinion of an art form because from what I know, the official definition of an opinion stays the same regardless of where it is used. 

And second of all there is no stupidity when evaluating an art form. Different people have different criteria for what makes good art. Movies have no objective merits or right and wrong way to interpret them. Seriously, try learning about literary theory and criticism. It's gonna do you a favor because all you're doing is spouting out ignorant, elitist nonsense. 

Also judging a piece of art entirely on politics has been happening for centuries and has been always considered academic criticism. If you have a problem with it, too bad.

Edited by lorddemaxus

9 hours ago, Firepower said:

I'm not really surprised that you are 18 year old, you always rush to extremes. All I did is pointed out an idiot, it doesn't really matter if he/she is feminist or not, but she's obviously one, not a single sane person would have rated Cap Marvel 5/5 and Joker 1/5 without woke politics involved.

That just your bias. There are lot of reviewer who voted 1/5 for Joker and there are lot of people who just didn't like joker. So some reviewer voted 5/5 for CM and some loved it extremely what's the problem?

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

That just your bias. There are lot of reviewer who voted 1/5 for Joker and there are lot of people who just didn't like joker. So some reviewer voted 5/5 for CM and some loved it extremely what's the problem?

My bias? Lol. I'm not gonna continue this nonsensical conversation. My argument was that movies are held to different standards by american "critics" because of stupid politics, even though there's a huge gap in quality across the board. People and money already voted. The highest rated comic book movie ever on imdb and similar foreign sites after The Dark Knight, real cultural phenomenon, the highest grossing R-rated movie ever and one of the most profitable comic book movies ever. Braindead idiots who trashed the movie because of politics are in minority. CM came and gone, just like the most forgettable MCU flicks. Joker will stay, like it or not. Really no reason to argue about that.

10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

My bias? Lol. I'm not gonna continue this nonsensical conversation. My argument was that movies are held to different standards by american "critics" because of stupid politics, even though there's a huge gap in quality across the board. People and money already voted. The highest rated comic book movie ever on imdb and similar foreign sites after The Dark Knight, real cultural phenomenon, the highest grossing R-rated movie ever and one of the most profitable comic book movies ever. Braindead idiots who trashed the movie because of politics are in minority. CM came and gone, just like the most forgettable MCU flicks. Joker will stay, like it or not. Really no reason to argue about that.

As I said you have a clear bias. It shows

3 hours ago, Nero said:

As I said you have a clear bias. It shows

I honestly don't understand what's your point, how my bias has anything to do with my original post, but, well, I don't really care :)

7 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, if there are people who judge their enjoyment of film based on the protagonist's gender/race/sexuality/etc., that's their burden to bear. It's easy to say that they're being stupid and stubborn but the fact of the matter is that they are making a judgment value over the film's choices. It's their burden to bear and it reveals their personality given what they think of a movie is based off of that criteria, but it doesn't make their opinions invalid. They're opinions. They saw the movie, that's what they think.

The problem is only people in US can judge art on such stupid criterias as "gender/race/sexuality". I've never seen this insanity in any other country. If you say somebody in Europe or Asia that you hate all movies with white people, they will at look like you a fricking idiot, deservedly so. That's why there's such a big difference in US critics' reception of Joker and pretty much the rest of the world, including audience (even most of the americans), movie fans and foreign critics. And that's why people beyond US don't care about Wonder Woman, they don't consider it "important" movie because it's just your typical cbm that's not better than random MCU flick. The same thing about Black Panther, even though it had a little better reception.

Edited by Firepower

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Lol, you're the one who's calling those who didn't like Joker for reasons you deem invalid "braindead". 

also Captain Marvel is literally the highest grossing live action female directed film of all time and will probably keep that record for a while. no matter how pressed you are at Captain Marvel's success it will stay there.

46 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Moderation 

Opinions are subjective. 

Facts are objective. 

That is all. 

Regards

BOT Staff 

That's just your opinion deecee

Famous directors calling marvel disgraceful is a fact of life

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Firepower said:

I honestly don't understand what's your point, how my bias has anything to do with my original post, but, well, I don't really care :)

The problem is only people in US can judge art on such stupid criterias as "gender/race/sexuality". I've never seen this insanity in any other country. If you say somebody in Europe or Asia that you hate all movies with white people, they will at look like you a fricking idiot, deservedly so. That's why there's such a big difference in US critics' reception of Joker and pretty much the rest of the world, including audience (even most of the americans), movie fans and foreign critics. And that's why people beyond US don't care about Wonder Woman, they don't consider it "important" movie because it's just your typical cbm that's not better than random MCU flick. The same thing about Black Panther, even though it had a little better reception.

It is an odd point of view to have, but it's one of those things that you just have to ignore. Apart from film school professors (and even then...), no one can teach people to enjoy movies. Some will go into them with ass backwards views and, as I said, that's their burden to bear. No need to even worry about it that much. Their opinions aren't invalid, though, because opinions can't be invalidated. You just have to ignore them.

BTW, Black Panther made 600M OS. People do care about it outside of the US.