Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But this isn't CW.

It's the same team with a bigger budget. Between this, that Superman CW show, and Ezra Miller's Flash it feels like DC is trying to spite me for even being a fan of their characters.

I am supposed to believe the whiney, skinny little bitch I see in The Joker with his 70 IQ and his emotional control of a teenage boy is supposed to be the ultimate arch nemesis of Batman that controls Gotham & Arkahm Asylum in the palm of his hand.

giphy.gif

Jared Leto s Joker was damaged and all but at least he was a bit menacing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

It's the same team with a bigger budget. Between this, that Superman CW show, and Ezra Miller's Flash it feels like DC is trying to spite me for even being a fan of their characters.

So basically Titans and Doom Patrol which are both good (I don't know about the former because I haven't seen it but others seem to like it a lot)?

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TMP said:

We went from a big budget Green Lantern film from the guy behind MI: Fallout, which would have probably had the Cruise Missile as Hal Jordan, to another CW flop starring some kid from Glee

He’s directing my sequel next year.

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So basically Titans and Doom Patrol which are both good (I don't know about the former because I haven't seen it but others seem to like it a lot)?

Titans is one of the worst seasons of TV I've ever seen in my life. Just complete and utter garbage

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

DC pivoting Green Lantern to tv makes sense considering they've been so cautious with the property since the 2011 film. Agreed it's a shame but along with Superman moving to TV (albiet might not have anything to do with the fact they aren't doing anything with Superman in the DCEU atm) and Disney pivoting Star Wars to TV too it's gonna be alot more common in the future. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

to another CW flop starring some kid from Glee

Berlanti's CW shows more or less saved that network and made hundreds of millions for Warner over the years; that is why they handed him one of those mega-contracts.

Also, the lowest-rated of his series' first season had about as many viewers as Watchmen.

45 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Also, the lowest-rated of his series' first season had about as many viewers as Watchmen.

Watchmen's viewership is on par with Chernobyl right now, another HBO show with a similar budget. Also Watchmen is actually good - something the CW DC shows aren't anywhere near

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

Watchmen's viewership is on par with Chernobyl right now, another HBO show with a similar budget. Also Watchmen is actually good - something the CW DC shows aren't anywhere near

Chernobyl swept the Emmys and was a miniseries of 5 episodes, it is exactly the kind of content HBO loves but the bar for success for an ongoing drama is entirely different. So far Watchmen looks like Westworld except less popular, with 5% of the audience of Game of Thrones - or 15% of The Flash audience in its first season. It can't be cheap either, so it needs to improve if it isn't to be cancelled after a couple of seasons. And it remains to be seen if it will be a major Emmy contender or will fail there too like The Leftovers.

Almost all of the Berlanti shows that you called "flops" have more viewers, and got 5+ seasons.

• ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

DC pivoting Green Lantern to tv makes sense considering they've been so cautious with the property since the 2011 film. Agreed it's a shame but along with Superman moving to TV (albiet might not have anything to do with the fact they aren't doing anything with Superman in the DCEU atm) and Disney pivoting Star Wars to TV too it's gonna be alot more common in the future. 

Just because they’re making tv shows over their IPs doesn’t mean they’ve given up making movies over them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Chernobyl swept the Emmys and was a miniseries of 5 episodes, it is exactly the kind of content HBO loves but the bar for success for an ongoing drama is entirely different. So far Watchmen looks like Westworld except less popular, with 5% of the audience of Game of Thrones - or 15% of The Flash audience in its first season. It can't be cheap either, so it needs to improve if it isn't to be cancelled after a couple of seasons. And it remains to be seen if it will be a major Emmy contender or will fail there too like The Leftovers.

Almost all of the Berlanti shows that you called "flops" have more viewers, and got 5+ seasons.

Watchmen has been really intriguing so far but I'll be surprised if the Emmys really go for it. Maybe another nomination for Regina King considering how much they love her (three Emmy awards plus is also an Oscar winner now), but that category is gonna be stacked.

I don't see Watchmen breaking out to the casual superhero audience so it needs to hold steady on the ratings front or get some awards love. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-watchmen-episode-2-viewership-1203387421/

Episode drew 1.3 million total viewers across all of HBO’s platforms on Sunday night, down 13% from the series premiere which drew 1.5 million. During its 9 p.m. live airing, the show averaged 765,000 viewers, down only a fraction from 800,000 last week. “Watchmen” retaining the vast majority of its viewers is impressive given it was up against game 5 of the World Series on Fox.

Meanwhile, total viewing for the first episode is now approaching 5 million viewers, according HBO. According to premium cabler, the premiere marked the strongest debut performance for a series on its digital platforms since the series premiere of “Westworld” in 2016.

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Watchmen has been really intriguing so far but I'll be surprised if the Emmys really go for it. Maybe another nomination for Regina King considering how much they love her (three Emmy awards plus is also an Oscar winner now), but that category is gonna be stacked.

Superhero shows have a truly dreadful record at the Emmys, they make the Oscars look friendly to the genre. I think Heroes is to this day the most successful one with a bunch of nominations (including Best Drama) in its first season and 1 win in its entire run (Visual Effects).

Edited by MrGlass2

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Morning Show is DOA, so that'll help Watchmen, and there's also the fact that it's the first superhero show to get the kind of reviews its gotten.

9 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

I don't see Watchmen breaking out to the casual superhero audience so it needs to hold steady on the ratings front or get some awards love. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-watchmen-episode-2-viewership-1203387421/

Episode drew 1.3 million total viewers across all of HBO’s platforms on Sunday night, down 13% from the series premiere which drew 1.5 million. During its 9 p.m. live airing, the show averaged 765,000 viewers, down only a fraction from 800,000 last week. “Watchmen” retaining the vast majority of its viewers is impressive given it was up against game 5 of the World Series on Fox.

Meanwhile, total viewing for the first episode is now approaching 5 million viewers, according HBO. According to premium cabler, the premiere marked the strongest debut performance for a series on its digital platforms since the series premiere of “Westworld” in 2016.

Watchmen's retention seems pretty good so far, especially considering how esoteric it is

47 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Superhero shows have a truly dreadful record at the Emmys, they make the Oscars look friendly to the genre. I think Heroes is to this day the most successful one with a bunch of nominations (including Best Drama) in its first season and 1 win in its entire run (Visual Effects).

It's because Heroes was one of the most acclaimed and most talked about shows when it first premiered back during a completely different TV era. The quality fell off horribly after that.

Edited by filmlover

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

The shows are utter garbage so it doesn't matter. The target demo for CW are teens and soccer moms. Do we really care about Green Lantern's weekly love triangle?