Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Haven’t watched Doom Patrol (I canceled my membership to DC Universe), but what I saw of Titans was better than the Arrowverse. 

Speaking of the Arrowverse, it’s really weird to me that they’re trying to tackle something as ambitious as Crisis on Infinite Earths. That just seems like way too much for a bunch of shows that air on a bottom of the barrel network like the CW. 

Edited by WittyUsername

3 hours ago, cax16 said:

Variety said the same thing. Budgets on par with blockbusters

Also lol at Disney spending 200m on Hawkeye. That's 100m more than the Mandalorian. Their flagship show and something people are actually excited for

Edited by DlAMONDZ

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Haven’t watched Doom Patrol (I canceled my membership to DC Universe), but what I saw of Titans was better than the Arrowverse. 

Speaking of the Arrowverse, it’s really weird to me that they’re trying to tackle something as ambitious as Crisis on Infinite Earths. That just seems like way too much for a bunch of shows that air on a bottom of the barrel network like the CW. 

At least they're being ambitious. Can't say the same for the movies

2 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Both Titans and especially Doom Patrol are better than Watchmen

Berlanti >

I don't watch Doom Patrol but lol at Titans being better than Watchmen. I'll give Titans credit for having better production value than what we see on the CW shows but the writing is only slightly better. I'm about ready to quit watching given the obsession with flashbacks and focus on everyone but the main Titans. It certainly isn't on Watchmen's level, as I can't think of a single episode that comes close to being as good as the first two episodes of Watchmen. 

Given how much praise Watchmen has gotten, I can't see it not getting some love during awards season...unless Lindelof really does screw up the ending and that's certainly possible. But even then, I think acting noms are still very much in play.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there are no good (current) superhero tv shows.

edit: actually the boys is pretty good i guess i just mean marvel/dc

I thought you liked Lindelof? Everything else is garbage though, and The Boys was incredibly hallow in retrospect

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

I thought you liked Lindelof? Everything else is garbage though, and The Boys was incredibly hallow in retrospect

Actually, I thought The Boys was trying to be another Watchmen (dark edgy take on superheros) and not succeeding very well.

Hell, I thought the Timmverse takes on Superman and later the Justice League going rogue and becoming Dictorial rulers  were much better done then "The Boys".

Surprised about how much I like the Watchmen TV series,;Alan Moore not being involved was , for me, a big negative.The Previous Mooreless  attempts at Watchmen Sequels were a big fail in my book, and the prequel "Before Watchmen" was pretty patchy; some good stuff, some really bad stuff.

And for me Lindelöf is up and down in quality; I don't think he is infallible,and agree that he often has severe third act problems.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

i think the boys is kinda "hollow" but i also don't think it's trying to fake deep like certain shows. it's good fun. it definitely has those standard tv show problems like you can feel it artificially extending its conflicts but that's basically every show these days.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think the boys is kinda "hollow" but i also don't think it's trying to fake deep like certain shows. it's good fun. it definitely has those standard tv show problems like you can feel it artificially extending its conflicts but that's basically every show these days.

Are we sure? It definitely felt like it was trying to make some statement about the emptiness in our culture; between the blatant MCU commentary, the action figures, superheroes being idolized despite being a corporate product (even though this show is from Amazon, lol). Are you excited for any of those Disney+ shows? Maybe they could be good. They got novice show-runners though, so we'll see

30 minutes ago, TMP said:

I thought it has the same problems as Deadpool where it makes fun of the genre but at the same time follows the same tropes. I enjoy the show a lot more than either Deadpool movie and it does make some really good fun of superhero but yeah, it's also incredibly hollow whenever it tries to be a normal superhero show.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Are we sure? It definitely felt like it was trying to make some statement about the emptiness in our culture; between the blatant MCU commentary, the action figures, superheroes being idolized despite being a corporate product (even though this show is from Amazon, lol). Are you excited for any of those Disney+ shows? Maybe they could be good. They got novice show-runners though, so we'll see

yeah that's in there but it's not exactly weighty material. it does get at it pretty well though.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

since i can't be bothered to find the spider-verse threads to post in

Sequel announcement on the way soon?

They were also developing Spider-Verse TV spin-offs... could be that