Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

16 hours ago, John Marston said:

plenty of directors have bashed superhero movies before but it didn't get much attention.

Iñárritu comment's back in the day got really a lot of attention (he was winning plenty of Oscar and Birdman was related in a sense), the language he used helped as well, a bit similar to Scorsese.

16 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

We need less Marvel/DC tent-poles and more films like Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping and Hot Rod. So I'm with Scorsese on this one.

then make one, i dont disagree with him, but the solution is not to stop making less tentpoles films, but to make more original staff,however as you can see ,many of the original staff not only suck ass, but even the ones that do not, still flop at the box office so why the studios should make more, when the audience cleary dont give a shit to see them , at least in cinemas, money speaks maybe not about quality ,but about what the audience wants to see

Edited by john2000

Not sure how important is the quantity of those movies, but how much and how far in advance the best weekends they gets living little place for something else on them, how many of the best screen they get (apparently in some market they monopolize the complete exhibition industry, over 90% of the screen or so the OW), how big of a footprint in marketing / product placement they get (in the past an "original movie" like twister/Independence Day could get to be the movie of the summer everywhere on cereal box and so on, not sure if this is still possible) and how big their budget get (competing with 300-400M movies and half a billion global marketing affair is hard to do).

And how much does the industry is built to sell those, from what the movie theater look like, to what they push (specially Worldwide).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

then make one, i dont disagree with him, but the solution is not to stop making less tentpoles films, but to make more original staff,however as you can see ,many of the original staff not only suck ass, but even the ones that do not, still flop at the box office

Problem is the tentpoles cost so much to make there is no money left over for the mid range films.

One big problem I have with Disney is with all the money they make, they could afford totake a chance and  finance a few mid level serious dramas; if they bomb it's not a big loss for Disney. In the age of the movie moguls,the Zanucks, the Warners, and the Selznicks, they would occasionally take a chance and make a movie simply because it was a film the should be made,even if it did not have huge commercial possibilities.For all they flaws, they loved movies. For a lot of the studios CEO, movies are just product.

But I agree that Scorsese probably should not have singled out Marvel films.

I understand it is hard to get backing for afilm unless it has franchise possibilities. That is really sad. There are some people here for whom that is OK< they even think it's a good thing, but all I can say is they are incredibly ignorant .

Edited by dudalb

I am getting frustrated. Trying to explain why a wide variety of films is a good thing to someone who only cares about the big budget "geek" franchises  is like trying to describe colors to somebody who has been blind from birth. They just cannot concerive of anything else.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Problem is the tentpoles cost so much to make there is no money left over for the mid range films.

One big problem I have with Disney is with all the money they make, they could afford totake a chance and  finance a few mid level serious dramas; if they bomb it's not a big loss for Disney. In the age of the movie moguls,the Zanucks, the Warners, and the Selznicks, they would occasionally take a chance and make a movie simply because it was a film the should be made.For all they flaws, they loved movies. For a lot of the studios CEO, movies are just product.

But I agree that Scorsese probably should not have singled out Marvel films.

again i dont agree, with disney but i understand them, when they made originals, and most of them bombed hard,even though some of them or many of them were good,then what you will do ? put them on streaming

Just now, john2000 said:

again i dont agree, with disney but i understand them, when they made originals, and most of them bombed hard,even though some of them or many of them were good,then what you will do ? put them on streaming

Yeah, let's put everything that is not a franchise in a streaming ghetto. That is a great idea...….

Just now, dudalb said:

I am getting frustrated. Trying to explain why a wide variety of films is a good thing to someone who only cares about the big budget "geek" franchises  is like trying to describe colors to somebody who has been blind from birth. They just cannot concerive of anything else.

everyone for better or worse, is entitled to his/her opinion,anyway

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Are you kidding? A lot of people online don’t like the Disney remakes. 

I know, but I was thinking about this website where they seem to be wildly popular.

IMHO they are not going to be better then the originals, and stand a very good chance of not being as good. Just don't see why I should spend 12 bucks for a inferior version of something I already have on DVD/Bluray.

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

If you are truly a film nerd / film buff, you will know how much Scorsese and Coppola earned their place in cinematic history to voice their opinion no matter how you disagree with them. 

Marvel fanboys will never understand .. 

I love their movies. Still sound whiny and butthurt. They chose to criticize it specifically. Deal with the backlash.

• Like 1

I agree with Scorcese's NYT article overall, but not all comic book movies are generic toy ads, some of them are as artistic, emotional and grounded as dramas he considers real cinema. Even though he had a problem with Arthur evolving into comic book character when he was considering Joker, that comic book character was still very grounded in the movie, I think he's just allergic to comic books as source material, but that's okay, he doesn't have to like them.

Edited by Firepower

11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I love their movies. Still sound whiny and butthurt. They chose to criticize it specifically. Deal with the backlash.

Maybe, but then MCU fanboys are sounding pretty whiny and butthurt themselves.

No one is coming out of this looking good.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I see some people here calling for diversity but when DC tried to do something different with the comic book genre they were whining about it and saying comic book movies should be FUN like Marvel's :ph34r:

lol, nope that didnt happen,tone doesnt make a movie better or worse, mate,people said in the beggining and they were right when dc made man of steel,bvs etc that dc should learn by marvel, but not speaking of the tone, but speaking of the way marvel do this compare to dc, at the same time, wtf are you talking about noone is shitting on joker,people love joker people loved aquaman and shazam and ww ,people will like good staff

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe, but then MCU fanboys are sounding pretty whiny and butthurt themselves.

No one is coming out of this looking good.

this is why should we just ignore the topic,  it feels like every day we get an article about this topic, it has become tiresome,however interviewers see that this is big  so ....................

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

And you are just another ,Millinial who thinks he knows everything when in fact he knows nothing.

Two can play at that game.

I’ve never claimed that I know everything so I have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Just now, Napoleon said:

I see some people here calling for diversity but when DC tried to do something different with the comic book genre they were whining about it and saying comic book movies should be FUN like Marvel's :ph34r:

Just say Zack Snyder and be honest about it.

The problem with Snyder's approach to the DCU is not that it was different then Marvel's but that it was badly flawed as an approach to a whole universe.. It's not enough to be different, it also has to be good. Snyder takes on the DCU in "BvS" was not good.

"Joker" was  lot darker and grittier then anything Snyder did, but it was a success with audiences, because the tone fit the character perfectly. Snyder's tone did not fit some of the charecters in the DCU, particularly Superman.  GOod fit for Batman, (though Snyder managed to find a way to mess him up also) bad for Supes.

ANd the sterotype of everything Marvel did veing light and fun is B.S. Even before the last two Avengers films, Captain America:Winter Solider was pretty damn dark, and Civil War not far behind.

• Astonished 1