Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

I love that The Hangover director did what  Zack Snyder was trying to do. I'm not saying he was wholly successful because Joker is a flawed movie but at the very least it has a very special performance at the center of it. There is nothing special about Batman v Superman, especially the performances. But then again Zack Snyder can't direct actors for shit so a special performance was never going to happen.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Watchmen is an incredible comic but it along with Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns defiantly had an influence on comics going forward. 

I’d say that The Dark Knight Returns had a bigger influence on the superhero genre than Watchmen, mainly because, unlike the latter, TDKR still presented its titular superhero as “cool.”

45 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

He didn’t turn superheroes into that. He wrote a specific standalone superhero story that was meant to deconstruct and satirize the concept of the genre, but that story was never meant to be seen as an example of what superheroes should be like. Quite the contrary.

The whole point of Watchmen is what kind of person,in the real world,  would don a mask and costume and become a vigilante in real  life?

Answer: With a couple of exceptions, people with severe mental problems or people who think they see a way to cash in on being a hero.

But the thing about "Watchmen" is there is only one person with actual superpowers, Dr.Manhattan, and their possession has screwed him up miserably.

Yes, it's pretty bleak, but many great novels are not exactly cheerful and optimistic.

3 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

Jackie Earle Haley performance in watchmen is very good

Haley is good;too bad the Rosharch in the movie is a total misread on the Rosharch of the novel.

Snyder made him some sort of anti hero; Moore made him a psychotic.

As someone said, the Moore Rosharch in the novel is Travis Bickle in a mask;in the movie he is Batman in a bad mood.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

As someone said, the Moore Rosharch in the novel is Travis Bickle in a mask;in the movie he is Batman in a bad mood.

Exactly. Haley was good as homeless batman, but that's a blatant mis-characterization of Rorschach from the comics; who was very deliberately a take-down of objectivist/Randian heroes like Ditko's Mr. A & The Question. I will say that Crudop as Manhattan ruled, interested to see who Lindelof cast for that in the show. Justin Theroux?

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Exactly. Haley was good as homeless batman, but that's a blatant mis-characterization of Rorschach from the comics; who was very deliberately a take-down of objectivist/Randian heroes like Ditko's Mr. A & The Question. I will say that Crudop as Manhattan ruled, interested to see who Lindelof cast for that in the show. Justin Theroux?

Most of the cast in Wathcmen was good, except for the actress who was Laurie (SIlk Spectre 2) who simply could not act.

You can't blame them for Snyder's misinterpertations;they did a decent job with the script they were given.

BTW you did know that Snyder's currently trying to get his film/TV miniseries  of "The Fountainhead" green lit?

If Snyder is a Rand fan, that would explain his changes to Rosharch.

BTW Moore did pay tribute to Travis BIckle in that some of Rosharch rants in the novel resemble Bickle's monologues in "Taxi Driver" so closely you can rule coincidence out.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If one wants a complete 100% comic accurate Watchmen then read the comic. That's my feeling on that one. Neither Snyder's film nor the original source material is perfect to me.

Prefect source material does not exist, and the novel has flaws; but IMHO the novel has a lot more depth then the film.

Mind you I thought the acting was pretty damn good in that film. However yes, that's my point super hero films are not supposed to be bleak and depressing. It was like Sim City but more depressing.

Villain only films can get away with it. Mentally deranged, homicidal, pyscho sure why should that be happy? 

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’d say that The Dark Knight Returns had a bigger influence on the superhero genre than Watchmen, mainly because, unlike the latter, TDKR still presented its titular superhero as “cool.”

The Dark Knight Returns is good but I prefer Miller's Batman Year One. Some of his later work like All Star Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight Strikes Again are pretty bad. 

56 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Mind you I thought the acting was pretty damn good in that film. However yes, that's my point super hero films are not supposed to be bleak and depressing. It was like Sim City but more depressing.

Villain only films can get away with it. Mentally deranged, homicidal, pyscho sure why should that be happy? 

I am a fan of the Sim City games...(except for the truly shitty lastest game....) but don't see the comparasion.

And who is to say that a super hero film should not be dark and depressing. "Logan" was not exactly a cheerful film.

Frankly, I am glad writers of hero comics are trying to make the genre grow up a little,rather then cater to all the 16 year olds out there.

And, if you look at the great heroic sagas, most of them have a tragic ending.

48 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Dark Knight Returns is good but I prefer Miller's Batman Year One. Some of his later work like All Star Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight Strikes Again are pretty bad. 

Dark Knight Strikes Again is like a parody of Dark Knight Returns.

And I will never forgive Miller for the way he messed up "The Spirit".

Most clueless fans are the Fox X men fanboys, who still in denial about how Disney is treating "The New Mutants" like something the cat dragged in.

They are STILL talking about huge reshoots for the film.  They are good at ignoring facts and reality.

7 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

He has a co-story credit. He did not write Wonder Woman's script. Why do you guys keep peddling that lie?

I didn't say script, I said story.

That story was intertwined with BvS, that's what the photo was all about. The story, the setting was set in stone before BvS was made.

How anybody can say ZS roll was superficial is pretty dumb.

And I'm not a ZS fanboy, that is just reality.

......also The Boys>>>>>>Watchmen

The way The Joker tries to justify its existence in the Batman/DC world is really pathetic.

Such an after thought, so dishonest & clumsy.

The Joker is such a cynical movie, created by a  Dudebro AI in the form of Todd Phillips.

"I am going to make an Artistic-indie gritty movie, copying shamelessly 70's Scorcese and play the victimhood mentality that has metastasized in our Post WW II world to win everyone's pity.

I ll put the Joker & DC brands on it.

And become filthy rich in the process."

The Todd