Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Zack Snyder is not someone that gets put on a leash, that is said of people who go off the rails. He is a talent and a pro, he delivers exactly what he was asked to do. I don't know why haters assume WB wasn't completely on board with what BVS was. Some of the "problems" haters point in it could very well have been demands from the studio.

They changed directors for Justice League not because Snyder's original shooting was a mess, but because the newly appointed (at the time) heads of DC wanted to take the franchise to a different direction than this movie was taking. These people are now gone after their move turned into a disaster at the box office. 

If Snyder signs on to a new Star Wars, Kathleen Kennedy will know exactly what she is getting into, he will deliver the exact movie they agreed on.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the things that prevents superhero stories from ever attaining the status of true modern myths or legends is that they are open ended. An essential quality of a legend is that the events in it are clearly defined in time; Robin Hood is driven to become an outlaw by the injustices of King John. That is his origin. He meets Little John, Friar Tuck and all the rest and forms the merry men. He wins the tournament in disguise, he falls in love with Maid Marian and thwarts the Sheriff of Nottingham. That is his career, including love interest, Major Villains and the formation of a superhero group that he is part of. He lives to see the return of Good King Richard and is finally killed by a woman, firing a last arrow to mark the place where he'll be buried. That is his resolution—you can apply the same paradigm to King Arthur, or Sherlock Holmes too. You can't apply it to most superheroes because the commercial demands of a continuing series mean they rarely have a resolution. Most find it difficult to embrace any of the changes in life that the passage of time brings for very similar reasons, making them less than fully human, as well as falling far short of true myth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Somebody recently posted about the 11 rotten Billie film on reddit, thought I’d look at the opposite.   

27 certified fresh 1B films:  

9 MCU

4 Pixar

3 Star Wars

2 Cameron

2 Nolan

2 WDAS  

Deathly Hallows 2

Return of the King

Skyfall 

Jurassic Park 

F7   

Of course this is very skewed by market growth and inflation. Many Middle Earth, many Potter, many Bond, many Pixar, many WDAS, many SW would easily make it if working with 2019 WW marketplace strength.

Edited by Thanos Legion

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

One of the things that prevents superhero stories from ever attaining the status of true modern myths or legends is that they are open ended. An essential quality of a legend is that the events in it are clearly defined in time; Robin Hood is driven to become an outlaw by the injustices of King John. That is his origin. He meets Little John, Friar Tuck and all the rest and forms the merry men. He wins the tournament in disguise, he falls in love with Maid Marian and thwarts the Sheriff of Nottingham. That is his career, including love interest, Major Villains and the formation of a superhero group that he is part of. He lives to see the return of Good King Richard and is finally killed by a woman, firing a last arrow to mark the place where he'll be buried. That is his resolution—you can apply the same paradigm to King Arthur, or Sherlock Holmes too. You can't apply it to most superheroes because the commercial demands of a continuing series mean they rarely have a resolution. Most find it difficult to embrace any of the changes in life that the passage of time brings for very similar reasons, making them less than fully human, as well as falling far short of true myth.

I don't think Sherlock Holmes is the best example for this point...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kinda sucks that there's no romantic tension between Poison Ivy and Harley though.

Season 2 babyyyy. Apparently Jacob Tremblay voices Robin in the show too, that's crazy haha

Edited by TMP
  • Astonished 1

It always baffles me how so many people can not only tolerate Harley Quinn, but can actually find her entertaining and endearing. To me, she’s as annoying as the Minions. I also hate that she forces the Joker into the abusive boyfriend trope. We already know that the Joker is an evil psychopath. We don’t need to see him manipulating and abusing some air headed woman with an obnoxious voice in order to get that point across.  

Edited by WittyUsername

15 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People have claimed this since Man of Steel. "If only he had a good script." I think it's time to face the fact that Snyder himself is the problem. 

He is not a director who likes being on a tight leash. Disney would never work with him because he likes making three-hour movies where he doesn't explain character motivations nor the story in any clear manner. 

Warners actually tried to keep him on a  leash on Justice League after what happened with BvS, but apparently were not that successful.

IMHO it was incredibly stupid scheduling to schedule the start of filming for JL just one month after BvS opened, not giving DC studios any time to make changes in response to the reception of BvS before filming begun. It also stuck them with Snyder as a director.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Zack Snyder is not someone that gets put on a leash, that is said of people who go off the rails. He is a talent and a pro, he delivers exactly what he was asked to do. I don't know why haters assume WB wasn't completely on board with what BVS was. Some of the "problems" haters point in it could very well have been demands from the studio.

They changed directors for Justice League not because Snyder's original shooting was a mess, but because the newly appointed (at the time) heads of DC wanted to take the franchise to a different direction than this movie was taking. These people are now gone after their move turned into a disaster at the box office. 

If Snyder signs on to a new Star Wars, Kathleen Kennedy will know exactly what she is getting into, he will deliver the exact movie they agreed on.

Everybody is to blame for the DCU's problems but Snyder...……..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It always baffles me how so many people can not only tolerate Harley Quinn, but can actually find her entertaining and endearing. To me, she’s as annoying as the Minions. I also hate that she forces the Joker into the abusive boyfriend trope. We already know that the Joker is an evil psychopath. We don’t need to see him manipulating and abusing some air headed woman with an obnoxious voice in order to get that point across.  

DR. Harley Quinn an air head? 

RwZd7tg.gif?noredirect

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

DR. Harley Quinn an air head? 

RwZd7tg.gif?noredirect

Yes. The Mad Love comic (which was written by her creators and came before the animated version of the story) established that she only got a PhD because she slept with her professors. Even ignoring that, you’d have to be pretty naive to fall in love with the Joker. 

2690025-tumblr_m93hh4wlld1ql4e6oo3_1280.

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

Just finished Once upon a time in hollywood. Um why do people like this?  It's just a bunch of random clips put together. There's no actual cohesive story.

same reason they like pulp fiction I suppose

• Astonished 1