Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does anyone else find it kind of depressing that WB is apparently courting J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves to be in charge of characters like Superman and Batman? Ugh, don’t tell me Michael Giacchino is going to score the next Superman movie...

Matt Reeves is a good director. Also they just got Damon Lindelof on Watchmen, which is the most exciting pairing of a creative and property on one of these things maybe ever

Edited by TMP
  • Haha 1

I’ve seen three movies directed by Matt Reeves and I can’t say I was able to discern any distinct style from them. I guess he’s a more reliable director than Zack Snyder, but he doesn’t exactly strike me as someone with a vision. He kind of just seems like a director for hire. As for J.J. Abrams, we already had a Superman film that desperately tried to capitalize off the nostalgia for the Christopher Reeve films. Its failure was what led to Man of Steel in the first place. 

This "style" nonsense needs to end. Style doesn't make a director good. Snyder has plenty of style and can't tell a coherent story to save his life nor can he direct actors well. You keep your shallow "style," I want to watch good movies. I don't care to respond to the JJ Abrams butt hurt. Not worth the energy because the insults are all the same.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

This "style" nonsense needs to end. Style doesn't make a director good. Snyder has plenty of style and can't tell a coherent story to save his life nor can he direct actors well. You keep your shallow "style," I want to watch good movies. I don't care to respond to the JJ Abrams butt hurt. Not worth the energy because the insults are all the same.

If you want to talk about well written stories, I wouldn’t even consider War for the Planet of the Apes to be one. The whole thing came across like a first draft. The writing was just sloppy at various points, such as the forced flower bit or the convenient avalanche in the climax. 

war for the apes was pretty bad, yeah. i dug that first one he did though. but overall reeves is pretty anonymous as a filmmaker. He gets propped up because he did a grimdark franchise picture which i think to the mind of many on reddit and the like qualifies you for auteur status.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Agreed! Who the hell cares about style? That's not what the audience is looking for. Especially with Superman! People are still clamoring for a really good Superman movie exactly because these directors are trying to attach their own "style" (or edge, in Snyder's case). Just give us Superman in all his glory. That's it! No fancy bells and whistles or whatever else Martin Scorsese and Co. Is saying makes good cinema. Find someone who both gets and gives a ahit about the character and doesnt make it all about them as a director. THAT is what makes the MCU work.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Agreed! Who the hell cares about style? That's not what the audience is looking for. Especially with Superman! People are still clamoring for a really good Superman movie exactly because these directors are trying to attach their own "style" (or edge, in Snyder's case). Just give us Superman in all his glory. That's it! No fancy bells and whistles or whatever else Martin Scorsese and Co. Is saying makes good cinema. Find someone who both gets and gives a ahit about the character and doesnt make it all about them as a director. THAT is what makes the MCU work.

I definitely feel like directors caring more about their "style" has been hurting Superman on film. You give me a Superman movie with a decent true to the character and his world script and get a JJ or Travis Knight or an insert solid director here to direct and I think most people will walk away happy .

12 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

war for the apes was pretty bad, yeah. i dug that first one he did though. but overall reeves is pretty anonymous as a filmmaker. He gets propped up because he did a grimdark franchise picture which i think to the mind of many on reddit and the like qualifies you for auteur status.

He's also made one of the worst remakes/adaptations I've ever seen .

Edited by lorddemaxus

Matt Reeves isn't some auteur, but I'd take him over Jon Favreau, JJ Abrams or Greg Berlanti - the latter of which this site seems to love to defend, lol - or other journeymen directors since at least he's able to make good movies. Can't be worse than Jon Watts doing Spider-Man

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Matt Reeves isn't some auteur, but I'd take him over Jon Favreau, JJ Abrams or Greg Berlanti - the latter of which this site seems to love to defend, lol - or other journeymen directors since at least he's able to make good movies. Can't be worse than Jon Watts doing Spider-Man

At least those other guys don't seem to think they are auters. Also Love, Simon and The Broken Hearts Club are better than anything Reeves has ever made tbh.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

i thought the original movie was pretty good but i wasn't quite fully on the hype train that everyone else was at the time. so maybe that's why i'm more forgiving of the remake even though i would agree the Reeves is a lesser film. it was biting from the original too much to be better. that scene with richard jenkins hiding in the car though (that wasn't in the original i think?) was pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

At least those other guys don't seem to think they are auters. Also Love, Simon and The Broken Hearts Club are better than anything Reeves has ever made tbh.

Love, Simon was bad lol. Like a bad network tv pilot stretched to two hours.

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

Man Of Steel was the first successful Superman movie in over 3 decades. Zack Snyder made the character relatable and interesting again to general audiences, which is something many people at the time thought wasn't possible. Turning Watchmen into a film was also something people claimed impossible. Not to mention Wonder Woman and Aquaman, which were also big challenges.

People who believe Zack Snyder has no talent are no better than the ones who believe the Earth is flat. Both deny facts.

• Disbelief 1