Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Newsflash :

90% of audiences could care less if a director has a vision, style or personal style.

A director doesn't do a movie for himself, but for audiences.

A movie is the most populist piece of art there is, without an audience it doesn't exist.

33 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Man Of Steel was the first successful Superman movie in over 3 decades. Zack Snyder made the character relatable and interesting again to general audiences, which is something many people at the time thought wasn't possible. Turning Watchmen into a film was also something people claimed impossible. Not to mention Wonder Woman and Aquaman, which were also big challenges.

People who believe Zack Snyder has no talent are no better than the ones who believe the Earth is flat. Both deny facts.

Believing Snyder has talent or not is no fact, it's an opinion. Plain and simple. You like his choices or you don't. It doesn't come down to "it's like saying the Earth's flat" at all.

DC Comics Comes Under Fire for Deleting Batman Poster That Sparked Chinese Backlash

DC Comics has yanked a poster for a new Batman title from its social media accounts after the image drew criticism from Chinese commenters who said it appeared to support the ongoing pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. 

The artwork depicts Batman throwing a Molotov cocktail against a backdrop of hot-pink words spelling out the new comic book’s tagline, “the future is young.” It was posted on DC Comics’ Twitter and Instagram accounts; both platforms are blocked in mainland China. The poster was meant to promote a forthcoming DC Black Label comic called “Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child,” due to hit shelves Dec. 11. DC Black Label is an imprint that seeks to appeal to an older-skewing readership through reprints and original limited series. 

But the poster came under fire from Chinese internet users who contended that it contained coded messages in support of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. They said that the Molotov cocktail alluded to young Hong Kong protesters’ more violent tactics, that the “dark knight’s” choice of black attire referred to the black-clad Hong Kong protesters, and that the “golden child” of the book’s title was a veiled reference to the color yellow, which was taken up by previous pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong five years ago. 

“The black clothes represent Hong Kong, the mask represents Hong Kong, the Molotov cocktail represents Hong Kong, what else here doesn’t represent Hong Kong???” wrote one angry Weibo commenter. Another chimed in: “No matter what the reason, to put an image like this up at a sensitive time like this means you have a death wish.”

DC Comics has since removed the poster from its social media. A Beijing-based representative of Warner Bros. declined to comment on the move.

China is a critical market for Warner Bros., which owns DC Entertainment and DC Comics, its publishing subsidiary. “Aquaman” broke Chinese box office records last December to take in a cumulative $292 million, while “Shazam!” made $43.8 million in April.

With the “Batman” image, the company joins the ranks of Western entities like the NBA and Disney that have been thrown onto the minefield of Chinese politics, with Chinese nationalists threatening to boycott on the one hand and others lobbing criticism for seeming to sacrifice freedom of speech for profit on the other.

On Weibo Thursday, angry comments and discussion of the poster mixed with promotion for the new trailer of Warner Bros. “Birds of Prey,” which will debut stateside next February and is helmed by Chinese-American Cathy Yan. 

In the meantime, DC Comics’ Instagram has been flooded with criticism from people who support the Hong Kong protests or are angry that the company appears to have given in to Chinese political pressure. 

“So now Batman loves money more than justice?” asked one commenter.

Another wrote: “Apparently China rules the world now. The future is young? No, the future is censorship.”

This is the picture in question

batman-dark-knight-returns-golden-child-

Smart of DC to delete the poster before this becomes big like the NBC controversy. 

33 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

DC Comics Comes Under Fire for Deleting Batman Poster That Sparked Chinese Backlash

This is the picture in question

batman-dark-knight-returns-golden-child-

Smart of DC to delete the poster before this becomes big like the NBC controversy. 

It’s not like Batman needs China to be successful. Joker made over a billion dollars without it. 

Edited by WittyUsername

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s not like Batman needs China to be successful. Joker made over a billion dollars without it. 

Yea but you know how China works. It’s not like they will only ban Batman, they’ll ban all of DC, if DC pisses them off. And you’d just need to look at Aquaman to see why China is an important market for them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yea but you know how China works. It’s not like they will only ban Batman, they’ll ban all of DC, if DC pisses them off. And you’d just need to look at Aquaman to see why China is an important market for them. 

Suicide Squad 2 and BOP risk not getting released in China,,,so its not as important to them, unlike ass kissing Disney.

19 minutes ago, Hades said:

Suicide Squad 2 and BOP risk not getting released in China,,,so its not as important to them, unlike ass kissing Disney.

So they yanked the posters even though China is not important to them? 

Wow superb logic there mate!

Apparently people at DC disagree with you because they gave in despite the fact that only some users on Chinese social media criticized them. Its not like the government or their mouth pieces got involved like in the NBA case. 

But sure, keep telling yourself whatever helps you sleep at night. 

• Like 1

Lol, this is so dumb of them to do. DC literally sells anti-PRC comic books (New Super-man). I find it funny that of all the things they could have chosen, the Chinese trolls chose to criticise was a poster that has nothing to do with the Hong Kong thing.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, this is so dumb of them to do. DC literally sells anti-PRC comic books (New Super-man). I find it funny that of all the things they could have chosen, the Chinese trolls chose to criticise was a poster that has nothing to do with the Hong Kong thing.

Considering how badly DC screwed over guys like Moore, it's bold of you to assume they have any morals lol

18 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

This "style" nonsense needs to end. Style doesn't make a director good. Snyder has plenty of style and can't tell a coherent story to save his life nor can he direct actors well. You keep your shallow "style," I want to watch good movies. I don't care to respond to the JJ Abrams butt hurt. Not worth the energy because the insults are all the same.

JJ Abrams is a "safe' choice for the DCU, given his record of box office sucess  with big franchises. Artistic sucess is  more of a mixed bag. Some of Abrams films I like, but others I don't.

I think he knows enough not to try to channel the Christopher Reeves era Superman.

And after the Snyder experience, a "safe" director is what DC wants for it's major DC projects. It might take a chance on a more risky director for a small budget DC project..like "The Joker"..but for the big budget films with major heros DC is going to play it safe, for better or worse.

Edited by dudalb

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

Considering how badly DC screwed over guys like Moore, it's bold of you to assume they have any morals lol

Ageed, though Marvel is no better when it comes to screwing over creators. THe comic book industry has a long history of that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah I guess so. Just incredibly hypocritical to bend over to the PRC when they just recently created anti-PRC comics.

Edited by lorddemaxus

42 minutes ago, dudalb said:

JJ Abrams is a "safe' choice for the DCU, given his record of box office sucess  with big franchises. Artistic sucess is  more of a mixed bag. Some of Abrams films I like, but others I don't.

I think he knows enough not to try to channel the Christopher Reeves era Superman.

And after the Snyder experience, a "safe" director is what DC wants for it's major DC projects. It might take a chance on a more risky director for a small budget DC project..like "The Joker"..but for the big budget films with major heros DC is going to play it safe, for better or worse.

J.J. Abrams is only “safe” because he knows how to play on people’s emotions and curiosity when it comes to marketing. He pulls all kinds of manipulative tactics in order to get people to watch a movie. Just to give an example, he fooled people into thinking that a movie was a sequel to Cloverfield, even though it really had nothing to do with it. I don’t want someone like that to be in charge of a character like Superman. 

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

J.J. Abrams is only “safe” because he knows how to play on people’s emotions and curiosity when it comes to marketing. He pulls all kinds of manipulative tactics in order to get people to watch a movie. Just to give an example, he fooled people into thinking that a movie was a sequel to Cloverfield, even though it really had nothing to do with it. I don’t want someone like that to be in charge of a character like Superman. 

if he can make a movie as good as 10CL or Treck09 i don't care what marketing gimmick he uses. superman may not require any gimmick like that. also, other studios and directors do the same. SS marketing showed Joker as the antagonist and not Enchantress.

Edited by a2k