Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s the most interesting thing left to talk about when it comes to DC movies at this point. 

Not even close! Snyder's a terrible film-maker, and DC just released one of the best TV shows of the year; the first one of these to appear on a lot of critics top 10 lists and it might even get Emmy love. Who cares about Snyder?

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Not even close! Snyder's a terrible film-maker, and DC just released one of the best TV shows of the year; the first one of these to appear on a lot of critics top 10 lists and it might even get Emmy love. Who cares about Snyder?

I was referring specifically to the movies. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I was referring specifically to the movies. 

Even then Batman's assembling a great cast. Their other movies sound boring, but a James Gunn suicide squad still sounds more exciting than more Snyder dreck 

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

A lot of people it seems. Go to the DCEU reddit and 6 of the 7 top threads are all about the snyder cut with hundreds of comments. 

Oh and also loads of actors associated with DCEU since they tweeted about it too. 

I know that your average moviegoer doesn't care, and perhaps are not even aware, about this. But on the internet, a lot of fans do seem to care. 

50 minutes ago, cax16 said:

So, Zack Snyder has just confirmed (or claims) that there was in fact a rough cut of the movie from when he was still on board, rather than just an assembly cut with no VFX? That would certainly make sense. The movie was in post-production from October 2016 to May 2017 when Snyder left. If they weren’t able to put together a rough cut of the movie in that span of time, then I don’t know what the hell they were doing for seven months. 

35 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

So, Zack Snyder has just confirmed (or claims) that there was in fact a rough cut of the movie from when he was still on board, rather than just an assembly cut with no VFX?

I really do not get this sentence with what is in the tweet (and the tweet response in the thread also seem to make no sense)

- Someone on twitter: Must have been an assembly cut and it must have been quite long.

- Snyder: Yes you are right and it was indeed around 5 hours....

None of the reaction under that message seem to match the conversation at all.

35 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The movie was in post-production from October 2016 to May 2017 when Snyder left. If they weren’t able to put together a rough cut of the movie in that span of time,

Aren't assembly cut usually build as you shoot, many director refuse to watch it and never see it.

Edited by Barnack

20 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Because then the same fans demanding the release would be up in arms against WB complaining why did they release it like this and why didn't they spend money on fixing the unfinished shot. They'll be claiming that WB is trying to undermine Snyder by releasing such an unfinished movie. This is a no win situation for WB. Face the wrath of fans if they release an as is movie or spend a ton of money on an unnecessary movie, which I am sure they are trying desperately to movie on from. 

Frankly, no major studio is going to release a rough cut of a movie. Even if they don't know it or notice it, audiences have come to expect a  certain degree of professional polish to a movie, and they will not react favorably to an unfinished product. 

18 hours ago, MattW said:

214 minutes?  That's a lot of snydery film

Just more proof the film needs a lot of work before it's in relesable form. I don't think Snyder for a moment thought Warners would release a film that long in today's market.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I really do not get this sentence with what is in the tweet (and the tweet response in the thread also seem to make no sense)

- Someone on twitter: Must have been an assembly cut and it must have been quite long.

- Snyder: Yes you are right and it was indeed around 5 hours....

None of the reaction under that message seem to match the conversation at all.

No, Snyder has claimed that there is a rough cut of the movie that is 214 minutes long, in addition to an assembly cut that’s five hours long. Scott Mendelson assumed that the 214 minute long cut was the assembly cut, to which Snyder corrected him. 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

An assembly cut of four or five hours is not that uncommon . A lot of assembly cuts are twice as long as the final release version. Editing a film has been compared to sculpting a statue:you have to cut a way a lot to get to what the filmmakers had in mind. There are an awful lot of different takes of the same scene in assembly cut and a major job of the director and editor is too choose which take it best.

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

No, Snyder has claimed that there is a rough cut of the movie that is 214 minutes long, in addition to an assembly cut that’s five hours long. Scott Mendelson assumed that the 214 minute long cut was the assembly cut, to which Snyder corrected him. 

Ok thanks, as director has often nothing to do with the assembly cut (Spielberg do it at night in is editor trailer on location every shoot day but I imagine he is one of the few), Mendelson message was a bit strange, they are usually made by the team of editors during the photography and get be watched almost immediately after the wrap party, it would mean 100% nothing in the context of the existence of a Snyder cut.

Edited by Barnack

I have no doubts just from watching past ZS films that he would of wanted an epic JL movie nearly 3 hours long if he had his way. His cut of BvS was 3 hours long and JL had way to explain then BvS. 

Wether WB wanted that or not is a different storey. and Wether his cut of the movie is nearly done or not I have no idea but that run time doesn’t lead me to believe anything one way or another. 

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

There are an awful lot of different takes of the same scene in assembly cut and a major job of the director and editor is too choose which take it best.

Really not sure that what in assembly cut is, footage will be say 80 hours, the assembly cut of said footage will be 4, the final movie will be 2.

The assembly cut is still somewhat trying to be a movie, you do not see the actor saying the same sentence with different coverage and different take of it.

The name kind of says it all—an assembly cut is a very rough version of the movie that's been put together by the editor during production, and it strings together every single scene that was shot. This is not a releasable version of a movie, but instead is more akin to a rough draft of what the final product will be

It is just that you have all the shoot scenes and they are not trimmed down.

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I have no doubts just from watching past ZS films that he would of wanted an epic JL movie nearly 3 hours long if he had his way. His cut of BvS was 3 hours long and JL had way to explain then BvS. 

Wether WB wanted that or not is a different storey. and Wether his cut of the movie is nearly done or not I have no idea but that run time doesn’t lead me to believe anything one way or another. 

WB clearly wanted a movie that was as short and inoffensive as possible. That’s why they gave it a two hour mandate, which is absolutely insane if the rough cut was three and a half hours long. 

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

WB clearly wanted a movie that was as short and inoffensive as possible. That’s why they gave it a two hour mandate, which is absolutely insane if the rough cut was three and a half hours long. 

Ya they obviously saw what Zack did and didn’t like it and I assume that’s why he was let go and they brought JW in and made the movie 2 hours. 

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Zack Snyder wouldn't want audiences to see an unfinished, assembly cut of his film. If he's encouraging the release, it's clear to me it's ready.

He could be loving the attention around it, convention crowd and so on, thus the speaking in metaphor and pictures. He could also be wanting a couple of millions of dollar and the right to finish it (some sound mix, some VFX, color grading touch, etc...).

Assembly cut is the weeks after the shoots, it really quickly become a rough cut.

And, frankly, though there is plenty of blame for both Snyder and Whedon for the mess that was JL, a lot of what was wrong with the film was clearly Snyder's doing. A number of scenes had all the flaws of Snyder previous work.

I think the Snyder cut is not anywhere near ready for release, and Snyder is saying it is in hopes of drumming up enough support to convince Warners to give him the money to finish it. That is not an unheard of tactic in the film industry.

If the rought cut is 214 minutes, guaranteed it needs work.