Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

I am living in this bizaro, orwelian, dystopian multi-verse world where most people agree The Joker has some merit and quality to it.

Worse, people even agree it is an important film of our time, even a great film.

Please, Steven, open a portal for me, let me escape from this asylum.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Imagine wearing a Joker make up in the street.

Without irony.

In 2020.

🙄

Will be quite a few on 31 October. Halloween last year was embarrassing the number of people I saw with the Arthur Fleck outfit. Awful.

• Disbelief 1

Who would have thought a little R-rated movie about a Batman villain would finally give the ultimate breakthrough to the entire superhero genre in legitimate acclaim and awards?! 2019 will be a year long remembered and cherished by all CBM fans thanks to Todd Phillips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Who would have thought a little R-rated movie about a Batman villain would finally give the ultimate breakthrough to the entire superhero genre in legitimate acclaim and awards?! 2019 will be a year long remembered and cherished by all CBM fans thanks to Todd Phillips.

:hahaha::wintf::insane::redcapes::WHATanabe::sparta::hahaha:

• Haha 1

After giving it some serious thought, and re-watching the movie over the holidays) I think that Avatar attempted to move us back to a domain of authentic human (read: native peoples) values. More and more, the message that people are getting when they rewatch Avatar, they realise that it is not a journey into an alien consciousness, or into some simulacrum of our own chaotic civilisation. At heart it’s a journey into the presence of the Gaian mind via Eywa, reminding us of our gene deep knowledge that the Earth is a coherent whole: it is a thinking, feeling, intending, being – that in terms of our value structures, it would be foolish to image as anything other than female. And when cultural values created by male dominance and science and linearity and so forth and so on – when those values are dissolved, what is waiting there is this incredibly poignant experience of nothing more than our bodies and the Earth (Eywa), out of which our bodies came.

History, as we have lived it in the West, has been a turning of our back on that; and now history has failed. Western cultural institutions, having become global institutions, now show themselves to be inadequate to inspire, lead or carry anyone into a future worth living in. The current climate crisis I think reminds us that reconnecting to the Gaian mind is a kind of moral imperative.

I think we have to abandon Western cultural values and return to the deeper wisdom of the body in connection with plants. That’s the seamless web that leads us back into the heart of nature; and if we can do this, then this very narrow neck of cultural crisis can be navigated. Very little of the past can be saved. The architectonics, the machines, the systems of monetary exchange and propaganda, the silly religions, the asinine aesthetic canons, very little of that can be saved. What needs to be saved is the sense of love and caring, and mutuality, that we all put into and take from the human enterprise. You know, there’s a Grateful Dead song that says “You can’t go back and you can’t stand still. If the thunder don’t get you, then the lightning will.” And we now hold, through the human imagination, a tool of sufficient power that if we use it, we can deconstruct the lethal vehicle that is carrying us toward the brink of apocalypse. We can deconstruct that vehicle and redesign it into a kind of spacecraft that would carry us and our children out into the broad starry galaxy we know to be awaiting us.

What we face now is a cultural test. Nature is pitiless. Intelligence is a grand experiment upon which a great deal has been bet. If we prove inadequate, nature will cover us over with the same kind of cool impunity that she covered over the dinosaurs and the trilobites and the crossopterygian fishes, and all those other things that came before. So what we must do, I think, is embrace Avatar, see our future in the imagination. Catalyse the imagination. Form symbiotic relationships with the Earth. 

Affirm native values, spread the good news that what is out of control, what is in fact dying, is a world that had become too top-heavy with its own hubris, too bent by its own false value systems, and too dehumanised to care about what happens to its own children. So I say, good riddance to it! Bring on the Avatar sequels, and let us hope they can help us usher in a new age. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

@JamesCameronScholar I agree with all of what you saw about Avatar but I also think it's all extremely clear in the movie and doesn't need much explanation. I personally think the more interesting parts about the movie isn't the writing (the movie's humanist and environmental themes are all fine but I just found the way he executes them to be sometimes poignant but mostly uninteresting) but the directing and the world of Pandora itself.

James Cameron is able to give even simple dialogue sequences more identity and visual flair than any major blockbuster in the century (except for Mad Max Fury Road) and the camera in every sequence flows with such fluidity and energy that sometimes that spectacle just becomes so overwhelming to watch. I'm astounded that people call the movie forgettable even though each shot has more soul and emotion than any of the MCU films. The only superhero movie that I think even comes close to feeling like Avatar technically is probably Aquaman (and even then it's miles apart).

Also we are never gonna see an original

world like Pandora onscreen ever again. There's so much depth, from the life forms to the culture, that it somehow feels grounded and real while at the same time feeling fantastical. Just experiencing the world is extremely surreal. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jesus, this movie is a BEAST.

I just can't at the irony that a Rian movie is killing at the same time that the sequel to his SW movie is tanking both B.O and Critically. :rofl: 

I have a lot of problems with TROS, but to say it's tanking at the box office is idiotic.

Studios would kill for a movie that tanks the way that TROS is tanking.Yes, it is not doing as well as people expected, but it will still make DInsey a shitload of money.

Why do people here have a habit of ignoring facts and reality?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I am living in this bizaro, orwelian, dystopian multi-verse world where most people agree The Joker has some merit and quality to it.

Worse, people even agree it is an important film of our time, even a great film.

Please, Steven, open a portal for me, let me escape from this asylum.

"THe Joker" is nowhere the masterpiece of originality some people think it is...it's not doing anything that Scorsese was not doing nearly 50 years ago with "Taxi Driver"and "King of Comedy"  but it's generally well done, if not really original, and Phoenix is incredible as the Joker.

This is called a balanced view, as opposed to the "It's Great" or "It Sucks" opinions that seem to predominate here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, Eric Laurence said:

Kings

lol the MCU won the 2010s. Easily. Star Wars came close but then TLJ happened and TROS/Solo followed. But I think Spiderman Homecoming wasn't that good. Hard to get into it after Endgame. We'll see. But right now Phase Four should win the box office for a couple years. 

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think it's funny that people think Avatar 2 is going to bomb, guess they didn't learn from Titanic and Avatar which people also expected to bomb. And it's really dumb that people say "it looks like a video game" proving that they don't understand what concept art is.

Oh, Avatar 2 won't bomb, but it won't be the massive record breaking hit the Cameron fanboys think it will be.

And comparing Avatar and Titanic is iffy, Titanic is a much better movie, and is much better remembered then Avatar is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Oh, Avatar 2 won't bomb, but it won't be the massive record breaking hit the Cameron fanboys think it will be.

And comparing Avatar and Titanic is iffy, Titanic is a much better movie, and is much better remembered then Avatar is.

I was comparing them in the context that both were expected to bomb before release and ended up becoming the highest grossing movie of all time.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think it's funny that people think Avatar 2 is going to bomb, guess they didn't learn from Titanic and Avatar which people also expected to bomb. And it's really dumb that people say "it looks like a video game" proving that they don't understand what concept art is.

Avatar 2 will make a tidy profit but I'd be surprised if it even passes Titanic, let alone the ridiculous expectations of some of the James Cameron fans here.

Edited by stealthyfrog
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Avatar 2 will make a tidy profit but I'd be surprised if it even passes Titanic, let alone the ridiculous expectations of some of the James Cameron fans here.

I'm more referring to the people on Twitter who say things like "only 3 people will see Avatar 2".