Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

36 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I respect the hell of out Joker and said it's one of the most successful films financially ever. Doesn't mean I want to see it.

Not a marvel Stan. I loved many dc films. Especially original Batman, Batman Begins, TDK, Aqumanan, Wonder Woman, and a couple others for sure. Man of Steel was solid.

You sure?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

You sure?

I see the idea that you like films from a studio but not be exactly a "fan" of that that studio is beyond you.

I think Marvel Studios had done a much better job until recently with it's films DC studios (thank you Zack Snyder) but have blasted Marvel Studiios when their films have been disappointing or out and out bad ("Iron Man 3" "Thor 2") If ihave been more critical of DC it is not because I am cheering for Marvel Studios, but that I think they have done a better job with their subject matter. Huge difference.

I don't mindlessly cheer for any studio or franchise. I don't sign blank checks, and that is pretty much what you do when you become a "fan". 

1 hour ago, The Chad DC said:

You sure?

Yeah I'm sure. I want both to be awesome. My number 1 movie for 2020 is Wonder Woman. #1 for 2021 is Batman.

End game is by far the #1 for me. But I love several DC films. I like Avatar a lot but Avatar stans are crazy 

Edited by cdsacken

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I see the idea that you like films from a studio but not be exactly a "fan" of that that studio is beyond you.

I think Marvel Studios had done a much better job until recently with it's films DC studios (thank you Zack Snyder) but have blasted Marvel Studiios when their films have been disappointing or out and out bad ("Iron Man 3" "Thor 2") If ihave been more critical of DC it is not because I am cheering for Marvel Studios, but that I think they have done a better job with their subject matter. Huge difference.

I don't mindlessly cheer for any studio or franchise. I don't sign blank checks, and that is pretty much what you do when you become a "fan". 

I didnt reply to you with my OP...

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Yeah I'm sure. I want both to be awesome. My number 1 movie for 2020 is Wonder Woman. #1 for 2021 is Batman.

End game is by far the #1 for me. But I love several DC films. I like Avatar a lot but Avatar stans are crazy 

I love Spider-Man 1, 2, Logan, first class, and days of future past. Doesn't mean that I'm not a DC stan. You can like other stuff and still be a stan. Saying you like DC doesn't imply you aren't a marvel stan. Just my 69 cents.

4 hours ago, TMP said:

Downsizing is one of the worst films I've seen in the last few years, but I loved Chau in it so it was nice to see her get a lot to chew on with this. 

edit: Last two? I thought the Manhattan episode was the strongest one, even with the weird look

That Manhattan episode was pure brillance. That episode was the perfect comic to film adaptation of Watchmen, particularly Dr M.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DC and Marvel fans fighting over Academy Award nominations is stupid. Both franchises this year achieved something way more meaningful than being celebrated by Harvey Weinstein's friends. Joker and Avengers Endgame were embraced by audiences and were the films that defined 2019. That's much more important than the validation of a bunch of hypocrites.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

DC and Marvel fans fighting over Academy Award nominations is stupid. Both franchises this year achieved something way more meaningful than being celebrated by Harvey Weinstein's friends. Joker and Avengers Endgame were embraced by audiences and were the films that defined 2019. That's much more important than the validation of a bunch of hypocrites.

I agree with the sentiment to an extent, but calling the entire Academy "Harvey Weinstein's friends" is utterly ridiculous 

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

As expected, the DC fans are going to be truly obnoxious for the next few weeks, and behave in exactly the way they accuse MCU fans of behaving.

I think the  term "You are both pretty awful" applies.

As someone who mostly reads and rarely posts I can say that the rhetoric around here on most DC projects (even the very successful ones) has been mostly nausea inducing and concern trolling.  "DC is dead.."   over and over..      Now you got Wonder Woman insanely successful and Aquaman insanely successful and SHAZAM which was a solid hit..  

Did the rhetoric stop?  Nope.  Concern trolling continued.  The talk of Joker was embarrassing. Then it won at festivals. Still embarrassing. Then it racked up a billion dollars at the box office on a shoestring budget.  The talk switched to "it's not a REAL Awards contender"  

Well now it has 11 Oscar nominations.  You'd think people on here whether they are MCU fans or whoever they are would get a clue and embrace the fact that you know WB seems to know what they are doing.  Disney knows what they are doing too but so does WB.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

And fandom sadly has become as much, if not more, about ripping the opposition, then anything else.

I don't know what kind of fan you are but all this "obnoxious discussion" you are talking about well you are egging it on by referring to Joker as a  "single" when it's clearly a home run.  Aquaman and Wonder Woman were home runs too but they didn't exactly have modest budgets.  Joker is clearly a home run.  When you gross a billion dollars on a budget that is $70M or so..  the profit is unimaginable. 

It's posts like yours that tend to stir the pot.  If you give credit where it's due people wouldn't react that way. 

• Like 1

Not trying to start something but most of the people who have issue with Joker getting so many nominations are MCU fans. I know a lot of people on twitter who many here would probably call "sjw" who have said nothing about Joker. They only care about lack of female directors or people of colour, no issue with Joker.

I myself wasn't really a big fan of the movie, thought it was Ok but it getting so many nomination isn't surprising considering it's massive box office success.

I think this gets Actor, Score, Editing and some other minor awards like Bohemian rhapsody.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I mean it's the kinda dark depressing, brutal violent stuff they like. Million dollar baby killed but I hated that film. I respect it but hate it.

You mean the opposite of what they like? Joker isn't the kind of film that the Academy would vote for. It's too controversial and dark. I mean, if you go back to 2014, Gone Girl and Nightcrawler were two dark and violent movies that the academy almost completely rejected eventhough they had a lot of awards buzz going for them (the former was even a hit) mostly because of their tone. The only reason Joker got a nom is because it made a billion dollars.

Let's remember the last time that a Major Franchise has won an Oscars?

DCU: Joker (2020)
MCU: Black Panther (2019).
HPU: Fantastic Beasts (2017).
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)

Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi (1983).

oEvpseC.gif

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Let's remember the last time that a Major Franchise has won an Oscars?

DCU: Joker (2020)
MCU: Black Panther (2019).
HPU: Fantastic Beasts (2017).
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)

Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi (1983).

oEvpseC.gif

You forgot the most important Academy award winner ever, Suicide Squad.  Mad Max Fury Road (not a major franchise but still a franchise movie) also won a crapton of Oscars.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TMP said:

edit: Last two? I thought the Manhattan episode was the strongest one, even with the weird look

nah personally i just felt like they didn't do right by that character at all. everything down to the guy's performance it was all just awkward. the episode about tim blake nelson - flashback one - the one right before the manhattan episode is one of the strongest three episode runs i've seen from a show since mad men tho.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

nah personally i just felt like they didn't do right by that character at all. everything down to the guy's performance it was all just awkward. the episode about tim blake nelson - flashback one - the one right before the manhattan episode is one of the strongest three episode runs i've seen from a show since mad men tho.

The Looking Glass episode and Extraordinary Being were both incredible

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

lol whats he on about now?

I think he was agreeing with this clickbait article, they clearly didn't get the film (and I mean the latter part, the first is partially true).

Edited by RealLyre