Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

All comic book fans should celebrate Joker and not feel bitter about its amazing success. It is the first time one of these movies is objectively considered one of the very best of the year by real cinema experts and professionals. Who could have ever imagined that a low-budget R-rated movie about a Batman villain would the one to elevate the entire genre?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

All comic book fans should celebrate Joker and not feel bitter about its amazing success. It is the first time one of these movies is objectively considered one of the very best of the year by real cinema experts and professionals. Who could have ever imagined that a low-budget R-rated movie about a Batman villain would the one to elevate the entire genre?

Those two factors, along with being more of a character study, only helped it in terms of awards. And regardless of your personal feelings on Black Panther, it was objectively nominated for Best Picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

There is nothing called real cinema. Cinema is cinema. You guys are delusional. 

Why should I celebrate something just because it is nominated for Oscar?

Elevated the genre.. Like really?? 

What's next.. Todd Philips gave Scorsese Idea about Taxi driver? 

This kind of over reaction is all over the internet. 

Either people understate it or overestimate it. 

And please stop using words like real cinema, it's highly pretentious and annoying. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

This kind of over reaction is all over the internet. 

Indeed. But, more importantly, at award ceremonies too: it isn't only fanboys who recognize the brilliance of Joker, but also the people who decide which movies will enter the pantheon of Movie History. It is time for all CBM fans to celebrate Joker, because another film in the genre is unlikely to win the Golden Lion in our lifetimes.

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Indeed. But, more importantly, at award ceremonies too: it isn't only fanboys who recognize the brilliance of Joker, but also the people who decide which movies will enter the pantheon of Movie History. It is time for all CBM fans to celebrate Joker, because another film in the genre is unlikely to win the Golden Lion in our lifetimes.

Seriously? Awards shows don't decide which movies enter the pantheon of history, people do. Plenty of Oscar winners have been forgotten and plenty of films that strike out are remembered. I haven't been able to see Joker yet, so why should I celebrate it just because people at Venice thought it was good? I'll see it and make up my own mind.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Um Blade Runner 2049 also won some Oscars including Cinematography.  It's not as short of a list as you are making it out to be.  

People are upset over Joker,  well really it's just a small minority of fans of other franchises I guess but they will get over it.  It's not "fanboys" who decide anything at the Oscars.  It's industry people.  It's people who work on films,  artists.  The artists think Joker is great.  Deal with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

55 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DAJK said:

I agree with the sentiment to an extent, but calling the entire Academy "Harvey Weinstein's friends" is utterly ridiculous 

Agreed. Funny how really sweeping statements are usually ridiculous.

But then this guy seems to think Hilary has a chance in 2020......

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Not trying to start something but most of the people who have issue with Joker getting so many nominations are MCU fans. I know a lot of people on twitter who many here would probably call "sjw" who have said nothing about Joker. They only care about lack of female directors or people of colour, no issue with Joker.

I myself wasn't really a big fan of the movie, thought it was Ok but it getting so many nomination isn't surprising considering it's massive box office success.

I think this gets Actor, Score, Editing and some other minor awards like Bohemian rhapsody.

Pretty much how I feel. 

The Joker was a good movie, not great, though Phoenix's performance was great. I think he is a heavy favorite to win.

But for BP, it seems to be boiling down to a duel between "1917" and "Parasite".

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Is it possible to not be a MCU/DCU fan if you thought Joker was garbage?

This is why I refuse to "stan" for anything or anybody. I am not going to support a movie for any reason other then it's a good movie.

And I never got being a fan of a huge business anyway.

13 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

As someone who mostly reads and rarely posts I can say that the rhetoric around here on most DC projects (even the very successful ones) has been mostly nausea inducing and concern trolling.  "DC is dead.."   over and over..      Now you got Wonder Woman insanely successful and Aquaman insanely successful and SHAZAM which was a solid hit..  

Did the rhetoric stop?  Nope.  Concern trolling continued.  The talk of Joker was embarrassing. Then it won at festivals. Still embarrassing. Then it racked up a billion dollars at the box office on a shoestring budget.  The talk switched to "it's not a REAL Awards contender"  

Well now it has 11 Oscar nominations.  You'd think people on here whether they are MCU fans or whoever they are would get a clue and embrace the fact that you know WB seems to know what they are doing.  Disney knows what they are doing too but so does WB.  

Both MCU and DCEU (in addition to like numerous other brands) fanboys (not fans, cause fans aren’t compulsive about the competition’s films nor do they give a shit if others don’t like a movie) are utter garbage with their IMDB like behavior and the sole reason why the quality of this site and many members of the forums have left. The only difference between the fanboys on here is what brand they stan.

I haven't seen Joker so I have no opinion one way or another on its nominations. I do take issue with people saying it "elevated the genre" and claiming that everyone needs to celebrate the movie even if they didn't like it. I had the same issue when people said Black Panther (a movie which I loved) "elevated the genre", and that everyone had to like it for that reason. I don't consider "elevating the genre" something that a single film can do, and I don't think that CBMs particularly need "elevating" either.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

This is why I refuse to "stan" for anything or anybody. I am not going to support a movie for any reason other then it's a good movie.

And I never got being a fan of a huge business anyway.

Like there’s not a single CBM on my top 15 this year (2019), but the MCU/DC bullshit has made it harder to discuss films on here with being labeled as a fanboy/shill/hater/etc.

As for Joker, I personally think it’s one of the worst films of 2019, but if others enjoyed it, I’m at least glad they enjoyed it.