Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Imagine having your main character dancing a stupid dance alone in a random & rancid toilets with a dissonant violin as music and ugly photography is the epitome of artistic expression in movies.

Imagine thinking this cheaply done scene has subtext and says things about the world we live in.

Imagine that.

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Imagine having your main character dancing a stupid dance alone in a random & rancid toilets with a dissonant violin as music and ugly photography is the epitome of artistic expression in movies.

Imagine thinking this cheaply done scene has subtext and says things about the world we live in.

Imagine that.

You're still crying over this huh? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Very interesting. 

Mother of god what is any of this !?! People do care if people write fantasy 50 shades fan fiction style about adult character in a fantasy movie ? That must be new.

I didn't knew (but I imagine should not be surprised) that people cared that much about the new Star Wars, but that said this is an article a bit hard to follow, it seem to get a lot of annectode and not much large data/comparison being made to validate any of the hypothesis and seem to use some of the least unnoticed hatred of woman online like the very talked about Kelly Marie Tran and Last Jedi reception.

The article seem to miss 2 important think (well I didn't read carefully and didn't know much if anything before this).

1) Are most Reylos really woman and the group from who they receive hate proportionally more male than the star wars fanbase already is.

2) If they are, are the "Reylo" being in a relationship fan composed more of woman than other pair (say the reylo with finn or poe)

3) If they are not, does people that like those other pair get has much hate ?

Does not seem clear why the focus is about those who prefer that pair than the other, if the reason is that the group is majority more of woman (but maybe when they do not like something, if it is something that woman like it get more virulent).

It seem a strange way to study something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

The worst thing about the Internet and Social Media is they enable people to behave like total Alpha Hotels with no real consequences for their actions.

Yeah but.....what else is new? I'm not saying it's right, or defending it, but I feel like sometimes people think they're a unique kind of victim. I mean, we're all of us at one point - male, female, white, black, gay, straight - victims of online hate and abuse. Maybe not all of us, but you get the point. I feel like, yeah, the world is a shitty place with some shitty people, we don't have to start talking like it's a new phenomenon that someone, or a certain demographic, has had something unjust or downright nasty done to them.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. At the end of the day I'm not saying I don't feel bad for her. It's just not news to me whatsoever.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 9:38 PM, DlAMONDZ said:
  Reveal hidden contents

12 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yeah but.....what else is new? I'm not saying it's right, or defending it, but I feel like sometimes people think they're a unique kind of victim. I mean, we're all of us at one point - male, female, white, black, gay, straight - victims of online hate and abuse. Maybe not all of us, but you get the point. I feel like, yeah, the world is a shitty place with some shitty people, we don't have to start talking like it's a new phenomenon that someone, or a certain demographic, has had something unjust or downright nasty done to them.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. At the end of the day I'm not saying I don't feel bad for her. It's just not news to me whatsoever.

But it has reached the point where I think it is doing real damage to our society. And ,no, I don't have a solution.

That the digital world has given a whole new life to bigotry is the worst thing it's done.

A certain blond youtuber made a collage in her Dr Dolittle review and put the posters of the biggest commercial and citical  flops of american cinema in the last 40 years and there was a poster of Birds of Prey, don't know if it was an error or if she knows something.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

A certain blond youtuber made a collage in her Dr Dolittle review and put the posters of the biggest commercial and citical  flops of american cinema in the last 40 years and there was a poster of Birds of Prey, don't know if it was an error or if she knows something.

@GraceRandolph can you advise please.

1 hour ago, Cap said:

🍵

Putting aside the amount of gobbledigook and plain bullshit in the article ("the Sith are intended to be gay" is a funny one) and nonsense words, and the actual point of racism:

"Shipping white relationships over interracial relationships is evidence of racism".

How?

How's it racist?

Finn and Kylo Ren are completely different characters and if people don't ship Finn and Rey, that is not because he is a black man.

Kylo Ren is approximately one million times more interesting than Finn. This is true if Kylo ren was black or Finn was white. Finn is a rubbish character, put it down to writing or whatever, but Finn is totally uninteresting. Add to that, Rey has a lot more interaction and relationship with Kylo Ren than with Finn. Finn and Rey barely see each other for large parts of this trilogy and usually its just they happen to be placed together, rather than having any events occur that connect them both.

Also: A lot of people after Force Awakens shipped Finn and Poe. (which i might add IS a interracial relationship)

So if Finn is taken, these strange shipper fans will be shipping Rey with another character rtather than Finn or Poe. Kylo Ren is clearly the obvious choice.

As for generally speaking why someone might more naturally ship white people than black people for relationships: most people are white. Whether its star wars fans, marvel fans, or americans as a whole. Most people are white. To be attracted to people who look like you (e.g. white people) is normal. Its not racist.

If your dating history is all white, or your parents relationship, or other relationships around you, are white - then that is what you may see as an ideal relationship, a white man and white woman. Its not racist and it doesn't make you racist.

I know there was some dumb racist comments when that first SW teaser trailer dropped back in 2014. But since these movies have been out I've literally never seen anyone complain about the colour of Finn's skin.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 3:42 PM, Avatree said:

Putting aside the amount of gobbledigook and plain bullshit in the article ("the Sith are intended to be gay" is a funny one) and nonsense words, and the actual point of racism:

"Shipping white relationships over interracial relationships is evidence of racism".

How?

How's it racist?

Removing the But the shipping of white relationships over interracial relationships as part of a broad pattern among multiple fandoms is evidence of racism, is quite the editorial choice.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:42 PM, Avatree said:

To be attracted to people who look like you (e.g. white people) is normal. Its not racist.

It is really normal to be racist, it is probably the human norm (over almost all history and all place). that a strange opposition that normal mean it is not racist. Higher level of empathy not just attraction to people that look like what you saw around you growing up is indeed quite normal, it does not mean that it is not part of the source of a lot of problems.

One big potential problem with that article (and that hole field philosophie) is the amount of importance giving by who said what and about none about what is said, the article often criticize the research for not saying the skin color of the person writing on twitter, Internet could have been a way to get out of sexism/racism in discourse quite a lot if not completely, but we made sure to put it there quite fast.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

How?

How's it racist?

Finn and Kylo Ren are completely different characters and if people don't ship Finn and Rey, that is not because he is a black man.

Kylo Ren is approximately one million times more interesting than Finn. This is true if Kylo ren was black or Finn was white. Finn is a rubbish character, put it down to writing or whatever, but Finn is totally uninteresting. Add to that, Rey has a lot more interaction and relationship with Kylo Ren than with Finn. Finn and Rey barely see each other for large parts of this trilogy and usually its just they happen to be placed together, rather than having any events occur that connect them both.

Also: A lot of people after Force Awakens shipped Finn and Poe. (which i might add IS a interracial relationship)

So if Finn is taken, these strange shipper fans will be shipping Rey with another character rtather than Finn or Poe. Kylo Ren is clearly the obvious choice.

As for generally speaking why someone might more naturally ship white people than black people for relationships: most people are white. Whether its star wars fans, marvel fans, or americans as a whole. Most people are white. To be attracted to people who look like you (e.g. white people) is normal. Its not racist.

If your dating history is all white, or your parents relationship, or other relationships around you, are white - then that is what you may see as an ideal relationship, a white man and white woman. Its not racist and it doesn't make you racist.

I know there was some dumb racist comments when that first SW teaser trailer dropped back in 2014. But since these movies have been out I've literally never seen anyone complain about the colour of Finn's skin.

Parts of that article are the worst kind of stuff on the internet. It's like, give me a break.