Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

I love this dude complaining about "filmtwitter" as if it's this one monagamous thing where everybody agrees on everything. As somebody who actually is a part of "filmtwitter" there's like....10 different factions, all of whom are wildly different from one another.

9 minutes ago, Eric Sionis said:

I love this dude complaining about "filmtwitter" as if it's this one monagamous thing where everybody agrees on everything. As somebody who actually is a part of "filmtwitter" there's like....10 different factions, all of whom are wildly different from one another.

Well, they actually agree on everything, mostly, they behave like hive mind. People who disagree are often silent or furiously attacked by their mobs.

Edited by Firepower

11 minutes ago, Firepower said:

No, that's bs, sorry. If "booo white male dude" is why you gave any movie 1/10, then, well, you need help. This is exactly what "agenda over quality" is, when you totally ignore the fact that movie in question is really well made across the board or vice versa and judge it for some political bs. Those people confuse watching movies with doing politics and they want so hard to be political journalists. That's exactly why I stopped paying any attention to US critics. I can disagree with movie's political points/message, but I have zero problems with that if it's actually well made. "Agenda" has nothing to do with quality or its perception.

except that it's not an objective "fact" that any movie is well made. and something being "well made" doesn't mean that you have to rate it highly. Films are entirely subjective, and someone's experience of watching a film is entirely personal.

Trying to claim that people are lying about the way they feel about a film, it's not going to get you very far.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Trying to claim that people are lying about the way they feel about a film, it's not going to get you very far.

I'm not saying they are lying about how they feel about a film, I'm saying I have zero respect for reasons those people rate movies. I can tell you that when most people see reviews, for example, for Rambo movie they don't care about "boooo white male dude, booo pro-Trump/pro-MAGA movie, boooo violence!", they just want to know if action is good, if story is good, things that actually matter, not another dumbass crying about white people and Trump instead of movie review. That's why RT is incredibly misleading for general audience. You can write whatever you want of course, but "professional critic" who's paid for that should be more objective and don't let his political/social bias cloud judgement.

Edited by Firepower

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I'm not saying they are lying about how they feel about a film, I'm saying I have zero respect for reasons those people rate movies. I can tell you that when most people see reviews, for example, for Rambo movie they don't care about "boooo white male dude, booo pro-Trump/pro-MAGA movie, boooo violence!", they just want to know if action is good, if story is good, things that actually matter, not another dumbass crying about white people and Trump instead of movie review. That's why RT is incredibly misleading for general audience. You can write whatever you want of course, but "professional critic" who's paid for that should be more objective and don't let his political/social bias cloud judgement.

you were talking about "film twitter" which is not the same as "Professional critics".

also, condensing the general critical / audience reception of Rambo 5 to just "Boooo MAGA Movie" is incredibly inaccurate and misleading.

are you suggesting that all the critics secretly thought it was a well-made, enjoyable action film, but they just said otherwise in order to criticise Trump and white men ?

really?

you come off as very narcisstic. "These people disliked something; it MUST be just because they want to attack me!" when in fact it has nothing to do with you and people like you. People just straight up thought the movie was bad. It has nothing to do with you, your dumb opinions, or your dumb president.

Edited by Avatree

17 minutes ago, Avatree said:

you were talking about "film twitter" which is not the same as "Professional critics".

The same bubble, they write exactly the same stuff, when I say filmtwitter I also mean most US critics. There are some exceptions of course, but it's what it is.

also, condensing the general critical / audience reception of Rambo 5 to just "Boooo MAGA Movie" is incredibly inaccurate and misleading.

That's what US critics wrote back then. I agree that Rambo 5 was really bad, I was incredibly disappointed with it. But its US critic reviews were exactly that "booo MAGA movie, booo white male dude" instead of writing that action/production/plot were just bad.

are you suggesting that all the critics secretly thought it was a well-made, enjoyable action film, but they just said otherwise in order to criticise Trump and white men ?

really?

I suggest that their enjoyment is based on their social/political bias, they don't care if it's well-made film. If movie challenges or doesn't allign with their that bias, they freak out.

you come off as very narcisstic. "These people disliked something; it MUST be just because they want to attack me!" when in fact it has nothing to do with you and people like you. People just straight up thought the movie was bad. It has nothing to do with you, your dumb opinions, or your dumb president.

It should have nothing to do with all that, but for them it has. They always complain about Trump, white people, MAGA, diversity, feminism in their reviews, that's all they care about, that's what defines good or bad movie for them. With those movies there's always big to huge gap between their reception and audience reception, and it says everything.

Edited by Firepower

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If critics will give negative ratings to any movie with a conservative leaning narrative, I’d love to hear the explanation for why Richard Jewell received much better reviews than something like Charlie’s Angels. 

It depends on quality. If "pro filmtwitter" movie is absolutely horrible like A Wrinkle in Time (4.2 imdb, that's Uwe Boll level territory), even they can't give it good reviews or they can give it barely positive reviews, but they never completely trash it, at worst their reviews are mixed for those kind of movies. If movie is competent to some degree, they will give it good to great reviews. I didn't watch Richard Jewell yet, but I've heard it was great and it was actually attacked by press because it showed them in bad light, so that's why its score is in 70s and not higher. I assume Charlie Angels was terrible judging by audience reception and it still got mixed-positive reveiws from US critics.

Edited by Firepower

11 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It depends on quality. If "pro filmtwitter" movie is absolutely horrible like A Wrinkle in Time (4.2 imdb, that's Uwe Boll level territory), even they can't give it good reviews or they can give it barely positive reviews, but they never completely trash it, at worst their reviews are mixed for those kind of movies. If movie is competent to some degree, they will give it good to great reviews. I didn't watch Richard Jewell yet, but I've heard it was great and it was actually attacked by press because it showed them in bad light, so that's why its score is in 70s and not higher. I assume Charlie Angels was terrible judging by audience reception and it still got mixed-positive reveiws from US critics.

Wait, you haven’t seen Richard Jewell or Charlie’s Angels, but you think the former should’ve been rated higher, while the latter should’ve been rated lower? What?

Abysmal first day in France for Try Hards of Prey.

Numbers here http://lestoilesheroiques.fr/2020/02/birds-of-prey-box-office.html

Its doing better than Ghost Rider 2 & Elektra in France !!!

Yay.

Incels (Joker) 1 - 0 "Men Are Trash" Third Wave Feminists (Birds of Prey)

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 2

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

For example, many people found that Black Panther and Captain Marvel really resonated with them because of their race or their gender, seeing black characters or female characters made the film so much more powerful and impactful. That is part of the quality of the film for them.

And it is rather impossible to know actually why you did like a movie and it is never easy (good soundtrack, good anything is never enough there is always a long list of title with that good element failing completely).

What I think the poster is trying to talk about, it is not much about people enjoying a movie because of the presence of something film twitter like for what it mean, it is about people that posture as liking or going easy about how they disliked something vs some other things because of the presence of elements film twitter like or dislike, and not because they were artistically ambitious either.

The way Cats got destroyed versus how much film twitter was hyped.... it has is limit for sure.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

First International numbers for BOP look weak.

Huge DC fanboy meltdown on it's way.

Yeah and MCU fanboys celebrate till they notice the film did not cost 250 mill to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Hades said:

Yeah and MCU fanboys celebrate till they notice the film did not cost 250 mill to make.

Hey, I thinlk both DC and MCU fanboys make fools of themselves a lot...…

I think BOP will end up doing Shazam numbers,which would be a good result given BOP modest 97 Million budget.

Problem is some of the DC fanboys were projecting almost Joker level numbers, which was never in the cards.

And I have continuley made the point I think DC is very smart in doing CBM that can be done on a modest budget, and sooner or later Marvel's inability to make a film for leas then 175 Million is going to bite them in the butt.

Edited by dudalb

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Hey, I thinlk both DC and MCU fanboys make fools of themselves a lot...…

I think BOP will end up doing Shazam numbers,which would be a good result given BOP modest 97 Million budget.

Problem is some of the DC fanboys were projecting almost Joker level numbers, which was never in the cards.

And I have continuley made the point I think DC is very smart in doing CBM that can be done on a modest budget, and sooner or later Marvel's inability to make a film for leas then 175 Million is going to bite them in the butt.

Which MCU movies should have had a budget like Shazam or BOP? The budget is based on what the movie is trying to do.

Edited for clarity

Edited by Menor