Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

Which MCU movies should have had a budget like Shazam or BOP? The budget is based on what the movie is trying to do.

Edited for clarity

The point is Marvel could have movies that don't cost 175 Million. Lots of those kinds of stories in the Marvel Comics.

I just think having to hit a home run every time out is not a good idea. The law of averages will catch up with you. Do a movie where you just need a single or a double.

Unless you think that the MCU is perfection and needs no new ideas....

Edited by dudalb
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The point is Marvel could have movies that don't cost 175 Million. Lots of those kinds of stories in the Marvel Comics.

I just think having to hit a home run every time out is not a good idea. The law of averages will catch up with you. Do a movie where you just need a single or a double.

Unless you think that the MCU is perfection and needs no new ideas....

New ideas, sure, but I would rather see more high-budget cosmic movies than lower-budget small-scale stories. Plus bigger scope and higher-budget action generally helps with BO (obviously not a perfect correlation).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

New ideas, sure, but I would rather see more high-budget cosmic movies than lower-budget small-scale stories. Plus bigger scope and higher-budget action generally helps with BO (obviously not a perfect correlation).

We just have to disagree. I would like to see Marvel do some smaller scale,non cosmic stuff a la (and I know it was not a MCU movie) Deadpool.

• Astonished 1

To be clear I like Harley Quinn, and I was looking forward to GCS, and I consider the way things are headed to be a bummer.

But I must admit the petty fanboy in me will be pretty goddamn amused if the worldwide gross comes in under the MCU’s 2nd biggest DOM OW.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:26 AM, JGAR4LIFE said:

I wonder when another studio will end up grossing more than Disney in a single year at the box office. Please WB, step up your game.

I thought 2020 was solid chance for WB but then I look at their line up, unless WB 84 breakout to 700mn, I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon, as MCU will get to its top speed from next year onward again and Avatar & new Star Wars start as well.

• Like 1

Someone asked and I'm still no closer to knowing what you kids are talking about with this new made up term: filmtwitter

It has the word twitter in it, and that place is a hive mind of deplorable trash from all walks.

From time to time I lift the cans lid to check out the situation and 2020 is going to be a shit show on that site.

Edited by Captain Craig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I predicted all this back in February 2016.

The cheap ass superhero movie age.

When Deadpool opened to what it did, everyone noticed in Hollywood.

You could make a cheap looking movie on a dime and become filthy fucking rich.

Deapool 2, Logan, Joker, Shazam!, Birds of Prey

Bonus : The smaller your film is, the bigger the chance it gets of being called 

ART.

Winning on both sides.

Evil

and

Genius.

Oh and add crass violence and vulgarity for the dudebros with your R Rating.

They love that.

Edited by The Futurist

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I thought 2020 was solid chance for WB but then I look at their line up, unless WB 84 breakout to 700mn, I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon, as MCU will get to its top speed from next year onward again and Avatar & new Star Wars start as well.

What a shame that would be. But I guess Disney deserves its success but it understands the market .

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So, James Gunn is the last hope to make Harley Queen a great character on screen.

Fingers crossed.

Todd Phillips could get Rooney Mara an Oscar for playing her in Joker 2

The discussions in the week end thread about BOP's failure are freaking hilarious.

Is is performance art ?

It s gotta be.

Also, I knew Joker's insane success would fuck everyone s heads, making wrong assumptions about R rated movies and their tones.

Joker is an anomaly in about every aspect.

It will be next to impossible to reproduce.

Also, because it gets great reviews, people assume it is objectively a good movie.

Sure.

Jan.

The movie is getting trashed in France both by critics AND audiences.

And they both adored The Joker.

So.

Edited by The Futurist

59 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The discussions in the week end thread about BOP's failure are freaking hilarious.

Is is performance art ?

It s gotta be.

Also, I knew Joker's insane success would fuck everyone s heads, making wrong assumptions about R rated movies and their tones.

Joker is an anomaly in about every aspect.

It will be next to impossible to reproduce.

Also, because it gets great reviews, people assume it is objectively a good movie.

Sure.

Jan.

The movie is getting trashed in France both by critics AND audiences.

And they both adored The Joker.

So.

Just shut up.

but he is right. bad predictions happen when people take only their echo chamber into consideration. So domestic reviews are strong and fans who saw the movie early love it. But OS is a different story at least in France. so perhaps the movie's too culturally specific to translate outside of America and thus is perceived as bad by both foreign critics and audience? I find that info valuable. 

• Like 1