The Punisher(2004)

The Punisher(1989)

Punisher: War Zone

The Ugly(Unwatchable):

Howard the Duck

Blade Trinity

Man-Thing

Final tally:       Great      Good      "Bad"     Ugly

DC: 24 films         8(33.3%)  6(25%) 3(12.5%) 7(29.2%)

Marvel: 33 films   8(24.2%) 13(39.4%) 9(27.3%)  3(9.1%)

While DC has a better percentage of great films and my favorite of all time, TDK, they also have a much higher percentage of ugly films and my least favorite film of all time, Batman and Robin. Marvel is simply more consistent and prolific. Marvel wins.

Breaking Marvel down by Marvel Studios vs Marvel Outsourced,

Marvel Outsourced: 24 films 5(20.8%)  7(29.2%) 9(37.5%)  3(12.5%)

Marvel Studios: 9 Films 3(33.3%)  6(66.6%) 0(0%)  0(0%)

Marvel Studios wins easily here with all of their films being either good or great and a greater percentage of great films than the films outsourced to rival studios.

Winner:

Posted Image

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

Marvel are clearly more consistent than DC. In the last 10 years DC have only made 3 really good CBM's and Nolan made them all.

Marvel have managed to hire random directors yet deliver better quality products than the average DC movie, even when DC uses what seems to be better directors on paper. Disney are just more imaginative.

I'm not going to get too into this and rank everything. As it is, I think that the filmmaker, screenwriter, and actors impact a film's quality more than either the DC or Marvel brand. TDK is an accomplishment by Nolan, not by DC.With that being said, I think Marvel has done a better job building a large universe of characters than DC has. The Avengers project, while not always producing the best films, deserves credit for linking all of these storylines in a neat way. DC never had the ambition to do that or if they did, they never put the plan into action. In 4 years, Marvel took a whole group of characters all considered second-fiddle and turned them into the biggest powerhouse in the comic book world. In that time, DC has only succeeded with Batman (which they deserve little credit for because Batman was big to already start with). Other than that, they've created stalled projects (David S Goyer's Flash) bombs (Green Lantern) and one divisive reboot (Man of Steel). Only now, has DC even begun to put the JL plan in action. And honestly, they have rushed it. They have decided to go straight to the team up without setting up their characters (Batman & WW) first, and then move straight to the JL film without plans for any of the other superheroes (GL& Flash). Perhaps, it all works out for DC in the end, but as of right now, the edge clearly belongs to Marvel and it's not even close. 

• Like 2

Marvel >>>>>>>>>>>> DC

Since 1961, until the end of times.

Considering, outside of the 1944 Captain America serial, Marvel didn't release a feature film until 1986, I find that somewhat inaccurate. Especially since that 1986 movie was Howard the Duck. It took them (arguably) until 1998 to make a good Marvel movie (Blade).

Don't get me wrong, I certainly agree that Marvel > DC now, but that's definitely not always been the case.

This thread is a monstrosity.

So why the hell did I bump it?

:qotd:

Because you're an agent of chaos.

Because you want to introduce a little anarchy.

Because all it needed was a little push.

Because WHERE'S THE TRIGGER? WHERE IS IT?

So many answers...

• Like 1

I noticed yesterday on twitter that in the top 10 worldwide trends there was 1 topic for DC about wonder woman and 8 others were marvel related ! I wasn't even checking this out I was looking for something about tv show arrow comic con panel It just popped out at me ant man, josh brolin, corey stoll, evangeline lilly, michael douglas. Etc I was like damn there goes Marvel again leaving DC in the dust lol

I think Marvel just proved Green Lantern flopping had nothing to do with being a space comedy and had everything to do with execution.Hopefully they'll realize non-Batman/non-Superman properties aren't that risky if you do proper quality control.

DC needs to put the people who did their Animation Dept in charge. 

Marvel's big thing is that everyone at the top loves and knows the comics and the characters, and their best films have come from directors and writers who've also had a passion and affinity for the characters as well.  And Feige knows how to put it all together.

• Like 2

DC should just be sold to Marvel. Then all comic book fans can be happy that there movies can be controlled by Marvel. 

It's more than just about the movies though ... it's television, merchandising, everything.  Batman & Superman are simply worth too much money for Time Warner to sell DC Comics.

DC should just be sold to Marvel. Then all comic book fans can be happy that there movies can be controlled by Marvel.

You're hilarious, Dex. Still not getting over the pain it seems like :lol:

DC needs to put the people who did their Animation Dept in charge. 

Marvel's big thing is that everyone at the top loves and knows the comics and the characters, and their best films have come from directors and writers who've also had a passion and affinity for the characters as well.  And Feige knows how to put it all together.

The problem is, is that those executives at Warner Brothers are so full of themselves, that they fail to see why Marvel is so successful. They think Green Lantern's failure ='s too goofy, too silly etc... Now they seem intent on making all their comic book movies dark and serious.

I even wonder why they didn't just sell all their DC properties except for Batman and Superman. It's pretty clear they have no real interest in any of them until recently (which was largely a response to Marvel's success).

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2

You're hilarious, Dex.Still not getting over the pain it seems like :lol:

No I think it would be better for DC fans so they can finally stop complain but not getting there movies made. If Marvel owned DC they would make there movies.