Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

So my thoughts about what Jett is implying about the future of the DCEU:

1. I'm scared, but at face value, I can bull on that. Why? You don't get Joss Whedon just to "end" the DCEU as we know it. You get him to reshape it to what you want it to be, yes, but not to end it.
  2. With that said, entertaining the idea that he might be correct on saying that Reeves Batman is  right now not set in the DCEU: well, let's pray to our god and savior mister Jack Kirby that he is wrong, then. But not just pray it. We need to support Justice League. Not just DCEU stans, but Marvel stans as well. Why? It'll be good for the superhero genre - and the very idea of cinematic universes - as a whole. If Justice League is a great film - and I honestly think it will be - and it does great at the box office, even if Reeves Batman isn't right now set in the DCEU, WB might be forced to rethink their actual strategy with the DCEU going forward, if that strategy right now is what Jett is implying, which is literally ignore their cinematic universe going forward. 

The most significant reason I think that dropping out the DCEU after Justice League is a stupid idea that WB better not go for it:

Wonder Woman. That's their biggest money maker since The Dark Knight Rises, even if it stays below BvS WW box office numbers. Why? Bigger domestic draw with public and critic acclaim that they don't see for this genre literally since The Dark Knight. Making a sequel is great, but for Diana alone is already a good reason for them to keep the DCEU going forward. 

With that said, what I'm saying is that if the fate of the DCEU lies on Justice League like Jett is implying, we better hope that Justice League is all kinds of amazing and breaks out hard at the box office. 

7 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

It's obviously like DC's current animation films. We get both adaptations of comics (Dark Knight Retursn) and canon stories within the New52 (JL vs Teen Titans)

The New 52 isn't even canon anymore in comics. The DC Animation model wouldn't work in live action in my opinion. Elseworlds with Joker happening outside the main continuity? Eh, it could work. But what I'm worried right now is with the fate of the DCEU despite WW2 and Aquaman. They better have an actual plan for this this time, and if this plan doesn't involve Matt Reeves Batman, I'm just way less interested on that film now. 

28 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Alright superhero fans. Marvel and DC loonies. I bear new rumors and I don't like them. I really don't like them. I've shared the same post on both Batman and Joker threads  on "On The Lot" but I want to bring the discussion to the main forum. I think this is something that once would belong on the JL thread, but since that thread is now sacred haven - and I do enjoy what the mods did for that place, I enjoy it one hell fucking lot - so I'm bringing the party to you here on the Franchise Wars thread. 

6RkdyKZ.gif

"Hmmm...

I have read the thoughts of Jett from BATMAN-ON-FILM on this and I think I'm getting even more worried. He actually likes the idea, and I hate it because if what he is implying here is correct, well. It's just not good news at all for the DCEU. Here's what he said:

Source: http://www.batman-on-film.com/dccomics-on-film_film_news_Joker-origin-film-in-the-works_8-22-17.html

So yeah. I don't like even more how this is sounding. And if Jett is correct - and he has been literally spot on with everything regarding JL/Batman throughout this entire year - about Reeves Batman not being related to the DCEU at all, then I hate this news even more. 

If this is the plan that WB has going for it, I'm literally out." 

if WB goes this route , they are just gonna mess up the whole slate. Not only you will be literally out. The general audience will reject the idea as well. But I cannot say I didn't see that coming. When BvS got a 27% RT rating, I just knew this day would come. BvS , the movie that is supposed to bring them glory, turns out to be the movie that makes everything fall apart. How ironic it is... 

43 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

if WB goes this route , they are just gonna mess up the whole slate. Not only you will be literally out. The general audience will reject the idea as well. But I cannot say I didn't see that coming. When BvS got a 27% RT rating, I just knew this day would come. BvS , the movie that is supposed to bring them glory, turns out to be the movie that makes everything fall apart. How ironic it is... 

I meant that more like hyperbole, but I'd just hate if the future of the DCEU is just WW2, AM and with them not being really "set" in the DCEU. What he is implying is that they are dropping the DCEU idea without really saying they are dropping it, and by "literally out" I basically meant that I wouldn't be interested in a Reeves Batman film basically because what I want them to do is actually make a great DCEU Batman, not yet another take on Batman living in a world without other DC characters like Nolan did. I've had enough of them already. 

iJack, please stop believing Jett. You really think someone from WB is actually feeding him legit info so that he can post it on his site?

Kinda hilarious that WB/DC is the only studio where everyone has a source inside leaking info

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

iJack, please stop believing Jett. You really think someone from WB is actually feeding him legit info so that he can post it on his site?

Kinda hilarious that WB/DC is the only studio where everyone has a source inside leaking info

I'd be way more inclined to not believe in Jett if what he said literally didn't get confirmed days after he literally just said it like it's happening since he claimed that Affleck was out of the director's chair for the Batman solo film. 

Let's just conjecture here a bit for a minute, mind you? Let's say that Justice League comes out and it's ALL KINDS of awesome, great box office run, everyone is happy. Do you know what I'd freaking hate to happen? Let's say that Affleck keeps going as Batman, but NOT really in Reeves film. How? Let's say that just like the Joker's film, Reeves Batman is set in a reality apart of the DCEU. With Justice League succeeding, I'm sure that they'd green light more films besides Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman for the DCEU, they've been talking about Flash's film for ages and now they are talking about making Flash's film Flashpoint. That's all it's great. 

But do you know what I wouldn't find it great? Yet another Batman film/trilogy not set in a shared universe. I've had my fill of them already.  I feel that the reason that they keep heading to these dead ends is that while Wonder Woman proved that the DCEU can be freaking amazing on its own right and without replicating the MCU formula, they don't seem to be following the MCU where it actually really matters, which is having an actual plan. Unless they give power to someone to spearhead the DCEU like the MCU has Feige, the DC characters will still be treated as an IP farm, and they deserve way better than this.

I honestly hope that Justice League forces their hand, because right now what is getting clear to me is that WB still doesn't has a plan. They stumbled on WW because of Patty Jenkins and the freaking one time they've listened to Geoff Johns. My understanding is that the problem within DC films right now is that WB doesn't seem to have an unified vision for it, so if Scorcese wants to make a Joker film to be a vehicle to let's say Miles Teller and The Hangover director guy or what have you, here you go.

That's just not the way they should be treating these characters, and that's why I'm hoping so hard that Justice League will literally force their hand to stop all this non-sense, and they finally give Johns, Jenkins and Whedon power moving forward to actually spearhead a cinematic universe out of the DC characters, not just treating like an IP shop that any producer might fish it and go ahead with it. They are worth way more than that. 

Edited by iJackSparrow

Lol you know how many people said that Ben won't direct Batman? A lot

DC's unified vision is Johns and Berg, it's been said many times. Hell David Sandberg even said that's how he got the Shazam job and the Variety piece on Johns/Berg/Emmerich noted their process of green lighting DC films. What does Jenkins and Whedon have to do with anything, they're just directors who are following the DCEU storyline. It's simple, there's two DC Films sides, The DCEU (WW, JL, Aquaman etc.) and The Elseworld (Joker Origin, Red Son, etc.) that takes place outside of the shared universe. Do people forget that Aquaman takes place after JL? Do people really think that JL is gonna reboot the DCEU when Aquaman comes out next year? Also what's the point of a Wonder Woman sequel if that's the case? And yes, WB can do whatever they want with the DC brand because they own it and have for a very long time. Like it or not, it's their decision at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Lol you know how many people said that Ben won't direct Batman? A lot

DC's unified vision is Johns and Berg, it's been said many times. Hell David Sandberg even said that's how he got the Shazam job and the Variety piece on Johns/Berg/Emmerich noted their process of green lighting DC films. What does Jenkins and Whedon have to do with anything, they're just directors who are following the DCEU storyline. It's simple, there's two DC Films sides, The DCEU (WW, JL, Aquaman etc.) and The Elseworld (Joker Origin, Red Son, etc.) that takes place outside of the shared universe. Do people forget that Aquaman takes place after JL? Do people really think that JL is gonna reboot the DCEU when Aquaman comes out next year? Also what's the point of a Wonder Woman sequel if that's the case? And yes, WB can do whatever they want with the DC brand because they own it and have for a very long time. Like it or not, it's their decision at the end of the day.

I honestly hope that you are right. Not that there are two sides. I do get that. I honestly hope that it's that simple. I don't want The Batman to be set outside the DCEU, and I think that for that not to happen, Justice League needs to be a huge win. I don't think I've ever rooted as much for a film as much as I am right now. May the Diana's and Odison's gods help us all. 

3 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Let's just conjecture here a bit for a minute, mind you? Let's say that Justice League comes out and it's ALL KINDS of awesome, great box office run, everyone is happy. Do you know what I'd freaking hate to happen? Let's say that Affleck keeps going as Batman, but NOT really in Reeves film. How? Let's say that just like the Joker's film, Reeves Batman is set in a reality apart of the DCEU. With Justice League succeeding, I'm sure that they'd green light more films besides Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman for the DCEU, they've been talking about Flash's film for ages and now they are talking about making Flash's film Flashpoint. That's all it's great. 

But do you know what I wouldn't find it great? Yet another Batman film/trilogy not set in a shared universe. I've had my fill of them already.  

I don't think that would bother me.   I'm with Nolan....Batman makes sense when he's the only guy running around in a costume.   If Batman shares a world with Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman...why would anyone need him?    Superman would turn Gotham into Metropolis in a week.

Any threat big enough to require the super heroes is above Batman's pay grade.   He's a street level hero.

2 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I don't think that would bother me.   I'm with Nolan....Batman makes sense when he's the only guy running around in a costume.   If Batman shares a world with Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman...why would anyone need him?    Superman would turn Gotham into Metropolis in a week.

Any threat big enough to require the super heroes is above Batman's pay grade.   He's a street level hero.

He is the organiser, but yeah, I always wondered why they never upgraded his suit to give him increased strength.

13 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I actually think that Johns and Berg are teaming the right people into the DCEU that can make it all work. The suspension of disbelief works both ways. Thor is a freaking God. Why there's still drought on several areas of the world? Why Tony Stark, The Avengers or at least Spider-Man didn't help Daredevil and the Defenders against The Hand? Batman is a great character in a shared DC universe not because he is the most powerful, but because he is the most clever. He is the DC's Captain America, if you will. I honestly think that Johns, Berg, Jenkins and Whedon can make it all work. I really would rather not have yet another "great director" take on Batman. I've had two in this lifetime already. 

Edited by iJackSparrow