Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

10 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

This GIF was clearly made for this thread.

Untitled-18adf9c8d7adb4ad66.gif

Gotta admit it's funny, but a better gif would be both companies being punched by JL, BvS, and SS.  (and Fan4suck and AoA)

Would be much better for both companies if they both were hitting it out of the park.   Imagine how pumped the public would be if they had just loved TWO CBMs?    Thor 3 followed by a loved JL would be an incredible boost to the genre.

What's the next one?   Black Panther.    Are people going to buy more or less tickets to the next CBM because of JL?    It's a simple question we all know the answer to.

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

Then when Marvel Studios begins and starts to make a success, Warner makes the beautiful speech "this shared universe business does not work for us .. Batman could not exist in a world where Superman exists" .. well, in comics and in animations that happens and it always worked .. but yeah.. because of 'The Dark Knight' they wanted something "adult and realistic" .. there Marvel makes Avengers and the success of the movie makes the guys need to change their minds .. Warner does not do this because they believe it ... they have not changed their minds because they believe in this vision, because they were forced to move ...

That's an interesting point.   Is WB doing the shared universe because they believe in it or is it just chasing Avengers money?   Certainly looks like the latter.   That's not to say art can't be produced in pursuit of money.   See Mozart, Michelangelo, and Shakespeare for proof.  McCartney and Lennon sat around writing songs actually trying to write hits.   So you can do both.  But the WB rush job in this smells like the product of dollar signs in eyes.   "Want money now!"

The thing is, I think they were right about Superman and Batman.   They don't belong in the same universe.   Both are better without the other.   It "works" in comics because writers twist logic around and make Supes into an idiot when Batman is in the room.   Do that in a movie and you end up with BvS.    The Matt Reeves Batman movie will probably be awesome while ignoring the presence of Superman.

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

One of the mistakes for me and tried to create a tone that was different from Marvel movies .. now .. why bother about the tone of Marvel movies? You are DC ... Justice League! Just make the tone that the characters ask for ... Just make the tone that the characters are! You don't have to think about the competition. It's not the way you want it to be. Do the work. Look at the character, read, talk ... "look, Superman is here, Batman is that way, Flash is that ... .. everything is there ... in the comics .. in the series, in the animations .. for example as Marvel does with their characters .. takes it easy, structure ... works on the material ... think .. Guardians of the Galaxy have nothing to do with comic books .. but it works. What is the difference? in my opinion ... structure in the concept, structure in the tone, structure in the construction of the universe and the characters .. the thing makes sense and it works.

Marc Campos, Comic Book Artist (translated from Portuguese)

Maybe the translation is wonky, but that sounds like he is saying "Let the comics be your guide!   It's all there!" for DC but "See...they ignored the comics and it works!" for Marvel.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Gotta admit it's funny, but a better gif would be both companies being punched by JL, BvS, and SS.  (and Fan4suck and AoA)

Would be much better for both companies if they both were hitting it out of the park.   Imagine how pumped the public would be if they had just loved TWO CBMs?    Thor 3 followed by a loved JL would be an incredible boost to the genre.

What's the next one?   Black Panther.    Are people going to buy more or less tickets to the next CBM because of JL?    It's a simple question we all know the answer to.

The genre doesn't really need a boost. It's totally dominating the box office right now. All people want to talk about is CBMs. We see more and more CBM TV. What more could you possibly want?

And no JL box office won't affect Black Panther one bit.

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

The genre doesn't really need a boost. It's totally dominating the box office right now. All people want to talk about is CBMs. We see more and more CBM TV. What more could you possibly want?

And no JL box office won't affect Black Panther one bit.

I hope you are right but I also know why the CBM genre got big.

It's not because one studio made loved movies while other studios made hated ones.   It got big because Fox, Sony, WB, and finally Marvel hit home runs with the public.  (Fox to a lesser extent)   That's how all genres get popular.

The flip side is when genres fade away.   It's because movies come out that turn off the public to the genre.   This can be movies that don't entertain or movies that appear to be repeating a formula.

So I'm not saying one disliked movie will kill the genre, but it does have a negative effect the same way a loved movie will have a positive effect.   A BP movie will do better today than it would have done in the 90s for a reason.   The genre was made popular by a series of loved movies.   The opposite is also true.

So I don't buy the "won't effect BP one bit" thing.   It might very well be a small effect...but zero effect?

2 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

So now Kjsooner's lonely meltdown represents all the hyped crowd? Then he's not the only one overreacting then if him alone is enough to freak out and cry wolf to paint a shitload of diverse posters who had no qualms with negative opinions with the same brush stroke.

I'm sorry, but you definitely haven't been reading IW thread if you think KJsooner was the only one to defending the brand from every and slightest criticisms. One poster in particular, a BOT veteran mind you, was defending his right to blast every single negative  when people called him out for it.

I really don't know what to tell you if you think there was only one being an insufferable brat.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 3

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Harpospoke said:

I hope you are right but I also know why the CBM genre got big.

It's not because one studio made loved movies while other studios made hated ones.   It got big because Fox, Sony, WB, and finally Marvel hit home runs with the public.  (Fox to a lesser extent)   That's how all genres get popular.

The flip side is when genres fade away.   It's because movies come out that turn off the public to the genre.   This can be movies that don't entertain or movies that appear to be repeating a formula.

So I'm not saying one disliked movie will kill the genre, but it does have a negative effect the same way a loved movie will have a positive effect.   A BP movie will do better today than it would have done in the 90s for a reason.   The genre was made popular by a series of loved movies.   The opposite is also true.

So I don't buy the "won't effect BP one bit" thing.   It might very well be a small effect...but zero effect?

Fantastic Four crap didn't effect the films that came after it. BvS and SS were hated yet Marvel CBMs were fine and WW made over $400 million. So yes zero effect. 

37 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I'm sorry, but you definitely haven't been reading IW thread if you think KJsooner was the only one to defending the brand from every and slightest criticisms. One poster in particular, a BOT veteran mind you, was defending his right to blast every single negative  when people called him out for it.

I really don't know what to tell you if you think there was only one being an insufferable brat.

Kjsooner was insufferable, he got threadbanned. So, one other dude, Grey Ghost, was nitpicky but he's free to respond to all posters that are also free to post their negative opinions. He wasn't insulting anybody like KJsooner.

Holy shit. 2 guys! 2 guys and you were already freaking out like all Marvel fans conspired and dropped on you for a witch hunt and pulling a Both Side-ism when it was really 2 butthurt guys out of 100 who didn't mind the negativity ("Thanos sucks!" for countless pages).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Coco Bottle said:

Fantastic Four crap didn't effect the films that came after it. BvS and SS were hated yet Marvel CBMs were fine and WW made over $400 million. So yes zero effect. 

Agreed. This had been a banner year for CBMs in terms of quality, didn't seem to do JL a lick of good.

29 minutes ago, Coco Bottle said:

Well now I'm curious how you think the CBM genre got so big if you think individual movies don't have an effect.   Do you think this only works in one direction perhaps?   What is your theory for how a movie genre fades away?

DC/WB's problem is bad leadership. Both Kevin Feige and Kathleen Kennedy spent years as producers on the set of movies, and they know how that works. WB is led by a guy who used to run Six Flags and DC is run by a comics guy with no real film experience.

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Well now I'm curious how you think the CBM genre got so big if you think individual movies don't have an effect.   Do you think this only works in one direction perhaps?   What is your theory for how a movie genre fades away?

The genre won't always be dominant, eventually people will want something new regardless of quality, but for it to truly fade away, it's going to need more than just one or two bad movies a year now that we have many releases. When the vast majority being released are bad, that's when the genre is in trouble. One movie in an otherwise extremely strong CBM year is an outlier. But if it was the other way around, if only one CBM movie did well and had a good reception, the genre would be in trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Its just my subjective observation, but out of all fandoms, the DC one is the worst for me. The level of butthurt across all social media plattforms every time someone dares to critizice something about DC films or in general is astounding and really, really annoying. Its like trying to talk to some religious fundamentalists.

THIS. 

I am a huge fan of Patrick O Brien's Jack Aubrey/Maturin novels, loved "Master and Commander:Far Side Of The World" and was very disappointed when it failed at the box office and killed off any chances of a franchsie. But I accepted reality, and moved on and did not endlessly whine about it or try to prove it was a huge sucesz at the box office...

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

THIS. 

I am a huge fan of Patrick O Brien's Jack Aubrey/Maturin novels, loved "Master and Commander:Far Side Of The World" and was very disappointed when it failed at the box office and killed off any chances of a franchsie. But I accepted reality, and moved on and did not endlessly whine about it or try to prove it was a huge sucesz at the box office...

Some people still haven't moved on.

@Lor San Tele @4815162342

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

DC fans are being crazier right now but only cause their franchise is in constant turmoil and the emotional ups and down are wild. One minute Wonder Woman breaks out and becomes a sensation, the next Justice League tanks, one minute Ben Affleck is in, the next he's out. It's enough to drive anyone bonkers.

Star wars fans during the prequels were truly a sight to behold lmao.

The Purist vs the Revisioniost wars when the Lord Of The Rings movies came out were also something to behold.....

• Like 4

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THIS. 

The hope for a sequel is alive fool! You shouldn't have given up! Forbes makes reports based on what we post here! :P

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THIS. 

Actually, there are rumors that a sequel to Master & Commander (which i really liked btw) is discussed.

@Lor San Tele @4815162342

• Like 1