Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

I agree with all that.   But don't agree that a single film has zero effect.   It doesn't go from zero to a hundred after a certain amount of unliked films.    If 5 films means "it's in trouble" that means that each film had a negative effect.

Star Trek fans vs Star Wars fans invented everything.

X-men films about the X-men instead of Wolverine.   17 years later and we are still waiting for Fox to get around to Storm (unforgivable sin), Rogue, Cyclops, Colossus, Iceman, and Angel.   They only briefly featured Jean and Nightcrawler.    Another benefit is a studio that wouldn't butcher some of the greatest storylines in comics history like Dark Phoenix and Age of Apocalypse and which knows how to maintain a reasonable continuity from film to film.

Oh...and a studio that won't epic fail with FF and doesn't waste great characters like Dr Doom, Galactus, and Silver Surfer.

edit:  And maybe best of all a studio that is not contractually FORCED to release movies.   Marvel would have the ability to NOT make X-movies.   There have been 9 of them in 17 years...that's overkill for any franchise.

It's not really taking a big chance when you lower the budget.   Money is the risk so a lower budget makes it the same risk as the others.

If you are talking about Deadpool then there is no way Disney is going to ignore numbers like this:

WW gross:  $783,112,979

Budget:  58 million

They'll just release it the same way they've always released R rated movies.

Nah, I was thinking more of kind of indie style films that Fox Searchlight has been funding over the past few years..they have sort of become what Miramax was a few years ago.

Why Disney didn't move Han Solo to December is still baffling to me. At this point any Disney IP can compete with any other IP from any other studio especially a SW related IP at that. It would also offer alot of breathing room for IW giving it the entire month of May rather than just 3 week to completely dominate. 

Edited by DMan7

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

Why Disney didn't move Han Solo to December is still baffling to me. At this point any Disney IP can compete with any other IP from any other studio especially a SW related IP at that. 

They have Marry Poppins in December. 

7 hours ago, mredman said:

like i said the plot for IW is exactly the same as the plot for JL.

Heroes get together to defend earth against Stepenwolf and preventing him to get all mother boxes = JL

Heroes get together to defend earth against Thanos and preventing him to get all Infinity Stones = IW

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Awesome, so DC rushed a poorly made film so they could copy the well developed universe and story that Marvel has been building to for about 10 years.  Sounds about right.

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

Why Disney didn't move Han Solo to December is still baffling to me. At this point any Disney IP can compete with any other IP from any other studio especially a SW related IP at that. 

yeah, To be honest, its like a guaranteed 400 million grosser in the winter. 

Just now, Darth Suburious said:

They have Marry Poppins in December. 

Put Mary Poppins in Han Solo's spot and Han Solo in December as i consider the latter to do alot more business and is more deserving of the December slot.

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Why Disney didn't move Han Solo to December is still baffling to me. At this point any Disney IP can compete with any other IP from any other studio especially a SW related IP at that. It would also offer alot of breathing room for IW giving it the entire month of May rather than just 3 week to completely dominate. 

Because December 2018 is reserved for Mary Poppins Returns. Disney Management is 100% commited to this film as the sequel to one of Disney's Crown Jewels, and it has to be Holiday release.

Having pulled the trigger on the film after floating the idea round for years, ,Disney is going to maximaze every chance to succeed.

Frankly, I think that Mary Poppins returns is more important to Disney Management then the Solo film. The Solo film will make money no matter whenever it is released, Disney think Poppins might need the Holiday season release more.

Just now, DMan7 said:

Put Mary Poppins in Han Solo's spot and Han Solo in December as i consider the latter to do alot more business and is more deserving of the December slot.

Mary Poppins fits the December spot more imo. At this point, I’m more excited for Mary Poppins than Han Solo. Not just because it’s Mary Poppins and I think it’s due a revival/sequel, but because Disney keeps including Lin Manuel Miranda in their movies. He’s incredibly talented, has a large fanbase (Hamilton!) and I think having him in a live musical will be a big selling point.

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

yeah, To be honest, its like a guaranteed 400 million grosser in the winter. 

An SW film is proably a gusaranteed 400 Million grosser on any release date. You forget that TFA was the first SW film to get a Holiday release. The other ones did great with a Summer release.

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

In another thread,the DCU extreme fanboys are trying to defend a statement that "Batman Vs Superman Was Brilliant"  as being a fact, not an opinion.....

The DCU Extremists are the best

• Haha 1

I understand your points about the Mary Poppins movie being in December, however for the past 3 years there will be a SW movie in December so it kinda feels like an event in December to have a SW movie so I would've preferred if Han Solo was in December to keep that SW event thread going. 

46 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Found this excellent twitter thread on why the DCEU fandom seems to be a little more... 'abrasive' than most.

1) The Success of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy
2) The Success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe
3) The Mixed Reception of Man of Steel
4) The First Cinematic Interpretation of the Trinity
5) WB Holding All DC Film Rights
6) Batman v Superman Reviews
3 replies 72 retweets 424 likes

I think some of the points are real in the sense that it brought up stuff from that fandom but is not the source or the why (like the 3/4/5/6 points)

Already in 2012:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rotten-tomatoes-dark-knight-rises-351124

Rotten Tomatoes Shuts Down 'Dark Knight Rises' Comments

The movie reviews aggregator aims to protect its featured critics from venomous Batman fans.

Rotten Tomatoes, the popular movie review aggregator, has suspended negative comments from reviews of The Dark Knight Rises, The Associated Press reports.

The site's editor, Matt Atchity, said it was the first time user comments had been yanked from Rotten Tomatoes but that postings would be restored by week's end.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/17/critic-faces-death-threats-over-bad-dark-knight-rises-review/

Some commenters approached their death threats with a wink, quoting Bane’s line to Batman that Fine’s punishment “must be more severe” and that they didn’t give him “permission to die” yet. Others were more direct in their hatred. One comment, since removed, kindly requested Fine “die in a fire.” Another from “Jake B,” showing remarkable restraint under the circumstances, just fantasized about beating Fine “with a thick rubber hose into a coma.” Way to take the high road, Jake.

Several Rotten Tomatoes commenters vowed to destroy Fine’s website, Hollywood and FIne, and they appear to have succeeded, at least temporarily; the site was unavailable for much of the afternoon, no doubt thanks to the massive influx of server-crushing traffic. As of 3:00 PM, the site was back up, and Fine’s review (“The third Batman film in Nolan’s trilogy and also the weakest”) was still standing.

The fanbases felt already quite different and more abrasive than the Pirates of the Caribbean, Middle Earth, Potters, Transformer, Twilight at that time.

Did it become worst, were Green Lantern/Watchmen movie reception came with stories of Disney/critics like they often do now ? Those 2/3/4/5/6 points could participate to that, but it could be something in the material itself and those Nolan movies that attracted the type of people that would make death threats over a movie review that would not be true for a Pitch Perfect fans, that and being used too have critics not liking your stuff and not feeling the need to validate your hobby and be insecure about them and your maturity, like it is well pointed out in number in the no 1.

Even with a 1 billion box office and a excellent 87% RT/78 MC score that fanbase could go berzeck and review aggregators website needed to take unprecedented measure because of it. 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

Mary Poppins fits the December spot more imo. At this point, I’m more excited for Mary Poppins than Han Solo. Not just because it’s Mary Poppins and I think it’s due a revival/sequel, but because Disney keeps including Lin Manuel Miranda in their movies. He’s incredibly talented, has a large fanbase (Hamilton!) and I think having him in a live musical will be a big selling point.

It also a matter of prestige. You are talking a sequel to one of Walt Disney's single greatest acheivments, and one of The Mouse's single most popular films,and they are going to give it every advantage they can.

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I understand your points about the Mary Poppins movie being in December, however for the past 3 years there will be a SW movie in December so it kinda feels like an event in December to have a SW movie so I would've preferred if Han Solo was in December to keep that SW event thread going. 

An SW film is guaranteed huge box office no matter when released. Poppins could use the Holiday release more .I think that is why Disney is 100% commited to a Christmas release for Mary Poppins Returns.

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

We're reaching the point where SW finally has more good/great films than Star Trek.

That has always been the case lol get out of here. Star Trek films mostly fucking blow. The two JJ films were better than anything that came before. 

Just now, JonathanLB said:

That has always been the case lol get out of here. Star Trek films mostly fucking blow. The two JJ films were better than anything that came before. 

The JJ films were better then Trek 2,4, and 6? No freaking way. Not denying that Star Trek had it share of turkeys,but then SW had the Prequels.....

or is the only reason you are prasing JJ's is becauae he directed TFA?

• Like 1