Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

'Iconic' is a difficult word to define, but I'd definitely say that yeah, the actual content of the prequels is more recognised and remembered in general pop culture than Avatar is.

But, of course, as I specifically pointed out in my previous post, just because they're more remembered in no way means they're better movies than Avatar. Just that they've had more of an effect on pop culture. Hell, in this case, the prequels are largely remembered because they're worse movies.

It makes sense, ROTS was the only Star Wars movie for about 10 years so it was processed and watched almost endlessly by Star War fans and was one of the biggest box office hits of 2010s and biggest film of 2005. As a result, many scenes and lines have become rather well known or become into memes. 

Also, the film has flaws but in terms of story it really sets up the entire Star Wars universe, so its important in that way for the Star Wars fanbase. 

But I do agree, that Avatar in NA has really not seeped into the pop culture considering how big the film was at the box office. 

Just now, Sand-omJC said:

Still haven't seen avatar or titanic.

I'm ok with this.

:o

at least see Titanic once.  the other you can skip :P 

but actually Avatar is ok for at least one viewing

8 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

Not really interested. Like...nothing about Titanic or Avatar appeals to me.

I understand that to a point.  I would still say Titanic over Avatar if you had to make a choice, but yeah if neither work for you, then neither work for you :P 

3 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

*shrug* I mean, sure if I could have seen it in fancy Imax 3D in 2009 I might be interested, but bits and pieces I've seen here and there look like a supremely uninteresting film.

yeah the 3d doesn't help either film, so if you aren't interested in either story, it's probably better you skip them both :P 

• Like 1

@Sand-omJC

Thats nothing to be proud of! Titanics got something for everyone you should watch it. You wouldnt want to miss out on the biggest franchise of all time, so I guess you should check out Avatar too.

@75Live

@Brainbug

A2>3b & 0.5A>TLJ

@LaughingEvans

I'll be having the last laugh it seems.

@rukaio101

Avatar has a theme park and a Chinese mountain named after it.

You shouldn't compare marvel which has 15+ films and is based on a famous comic book franchise. Avatar for now is just 1 movie, when its 5 people will be begging for more pandora.

Also not being able to name characters from an original film is part of the "cultural impact" meme.

Name me a character from seven samurai or solaris, it's not easy. It's bombardment of the brain that makes stuff stick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sand-omJC said:

*shrug* I mean, sure if I could have seen it in fancy Imax 3D in 2009 I might be interested, but bits and pieces I've seen here and there look like a supremely uninteresting film.

It is sadly Cameron’s weakest film. 

• Like 1

Just now, Darth Suburious said:

I can say that of the Cameron films I've seen, front to back in one sitting, Terminator 2 is his strongest, with Terminator being a distant second.

I've seen no other Cameron films.

32 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

I sadly agree.

Titanic, sadly, is his 2nd weakest imo (unpopular opinion, I know). Funny that both his 2 billion beasts were his directorial efforts I enjoyed the least.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar for now is just 1 movie, when its 5 people will be begging for more pandora.

Oh boy, this isn't a good defense. Just because Avatar is only "1 film" doesn't give it an excuse as far as pop culture goes. There are plenty films that are not franchises that are engraved far more into the public's conscious than that is. I could make a long list.

I think with Disney acquiring the property this could change but this has been a topic of debate for years.

30 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Oh boy, this isn't a good defense. Just because Avatar is only "1 film" doesn't give it an excuse as far as pop culture goes. There are plenty films that are not franchises that are engraved far more into the public's conscious than that is. I could make a long list.

I think with Disney acquiring the property this could change but this has been a topic of debate for years.

I don't really understand what you're even trying to measure here.

That disney line is pretty triggering though, you say that as if this isn't Jims property. Jim makes the Avatar decisions not fox and not disney.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

I'm well aware this is probably going to trigger IronJimbo like crazy, but it's honestly kind of amazing to me how, despite being the highest grossing film of all time, just how little about Avatar has actually sunk into general pop culture recognition.

Last year I would have agreed with you.  Six months ago I would have mostly agreed with you.

But The Mouse is starting to flex its muscles in regards to Avatar.  It's already made "Avatar Land" and that's got to do something to help reintroduce it in the minds of some people (I actually have no idea how popular it is [and, no, @IronJimbo, I don't need any links, thanks anyway ;)] or if it will STAY popular if it is right now).

And just a couple of weeks ago, this news dropped:

'Avatar' and its four planned sequels spawn book series (LA Times)

IF those books are released in the leadup to A2, well it might not be as impactful as things like Force Friday, but it helps reintroduce things a bit more.

Now, as the old saying goes, you can lead a punter to merchandise, but you can't make them care about it.  So maybe this won't matter much at all in rehyping things up.  And I do think there is a strong undercurrent of a backlash out there among many on the internet who find it fashionable to bash what they call Dances With Smurfs (NOTE: I am not one of them).  

So overcoming that latent hostility will be needed.  Then again, it was fashionable to hate on SW for a decade plus, and look what Disney was able to do there.  

In a way, perhaps the best thing to happen to Avatar 2-5 is in fact the upcoming takeover.  Fox may be no slouches when it comes to advertising.  But when it comes the current masters of the Dark Arts of Persuasion, there are few equals to:

xewSBdE.jpg

The Mouse might just force us all to care.  No pun intended.

Just have to see how it goes, I suppose.

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2