Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

I haven't seen Justice League, so I can't really comment on whether Steppenwolf or The Black Order is better done.

However, I will say that the Black Order's only purpose is to provide a challenge to the heroes.  Ebony Maw actually has some flavor to him which is nice, but they are mostly 2-dimensional.

This is alright.  Because the Black Order aren't the main villains, they're side characters.  Comparing The Black Order to Steppenwolf is as hilarious as comparing the characterization of Wong in Infinity War to Superman in Justice League.  

Taking time to turn the Black Order into deep characters would be a waste of time that would bog down the movie- it'd actively make the movie worse.  Infinity War's focus is exactly where it should be.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 3

Marvel Studios managed to make all the B-C-D-Z listers of the Marvel Comics worldwide known characters from Detroit to Paris to Seoul and Brazilia etc

Sure they didn't start from scratch per say but what they accomplished, especially with the incredible slam dunk that is Infinity War is so monumental that it will be probably done once in our lifetimes.

Remember

when Captain America, Spidey, Hulk and Thor were uncool and/or unknown,

when Feige was saying " I am making a space opera with a talking tree and a crazy raccoon", sure Kevin, sure, you do you,

when Scarjo was an auteur magnet,

when RDJ was a suicidal addict,

when Chris Pratt was a funny dude in sitcoms,

when Chris Evans was a Fantastic Four,

when Dr Strange was ...  a doctor I guess ?,

when superhero movies weren't doing 2B WW,

when black superheroes were a no go zone,

when a certain director who shall not be named was making fun of Ant Man in his interviews,

when human-like CGI villains were lame

when James Gunn was humble

when movies with a gazillion characters where declared unfeasible and too risky

when Batman was the number one superhero

when Star Wars was the biggest franchise in the galaxy not so far way

Remember those days ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Steppenwolf had exact same CGI and style as the black order. Can especially be noticed when they speak. 

Funny how people attack one and accept the other. 

If Ebony Maw wasn’t including I would’ve agreed. You don’t besmirch God Maw.

However the Black Order are side villains, so it’s more of an excuse. If Thanos looked as bad as Steppenwolf did they’d be more problems as they’re the main villains.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Even if you put Malekieth on Ambien, he still wouldn't be as boring as Steppenwolf tbh

I hated Steppenwolf but this is wrong. Malekith and Ronan were just as shit.

13 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Nobody EVER thought Spider-Man was "uncool".

Really ? Solo, Bond, everything Steve McQueen played is thought of cool.

High school nerd/superheroes stuff was certainly not cool in general not so long ago, not sure I would say SpiderMan is cool now either, the Raimi version was all the opposite at least and he moved toward being more cool and the culture changed into it also, but not fully imo.

9 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

If he's implying Marvel made superheroes "cool"... well... I don't know what to tell you.

Could be in general (Nolan probably did more for that), but could have been about Spider Man he was particularly uncool and on the nerd side no ?

Him trying to be dancing and being ridiculous was even a plot point. But decrypting Futurist is not easy, I think a lot of time he does not know himself and that why he use sarcasm and short one liners without explanation (there is none).

Edited by Barnack

39 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Remember

when Captain America, Spidey, Hulk and Thor were uncool and/or unknown,

Let's celebrate the man who (almost) single-handedly put Marvel on the map; and proved a fun, colorful, comicbooky movie could dominate the box office in the 21st century:

latest?cb=20110409214940

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Thanks 1

Some perspective on the position Star Wars is in right now.

Imagine if Avengers 4 made 1.3B worldwide.  Can anybody honestly say that wouldn't be a disappointment?  Lets also imagine in this scenario that Captain Marvel, a spinoff in the franchise, performed about as well as Rogue One.

How would you argue that something didn't go wrong with Avengers 4?  I mean, obviously we'd have fans arguing the same things that Star Wars fans are saying now- it still made a lot of money, over a billion! etc. etc. etc. but lets be real, Avengers 4 would have blown it.  I mean, their main event dropping massively from the last movie, and only slightly outperforming their recent spinoff?  It would be cause for concern for the franchise as a whole, and then if the Spider-man sequel outright flopped...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Imagine if Avengers 4 made 1.3B worldwide.  Can anybody honestly say that wouldn't be a disappointment?  Lets also imagine in this scenario that Captain Marvel, a spinoff in the franchise, performed about as well as Rogue One.

How would you argue that something didn't go wrong with Avengers 4?  I mean, obviously we'd have fans arguing the same things that Star Wars fans are saying now- it still made a lot of money, over a billion! etc. etc. etc. but lets be real, Avengers 4 would have blown it.  I mean, their main event dropping massively from the last movie, and only slightly outperforming their recent spinoff?  It would be cause for concern for the franchise as a whole, and then if the Spider-man sequel outright flopped...

This would make sense if A4 truely divided the MCU fanbase and we got a schism. The closest that’s come was maybe IM3 and that twist which some to this day will complain about. But it’s small minority and most folks (even maybe those annoyed by IM3) have moved on.

the day MCU fans go DCEU/SW fandom insane will be a sad as hell day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RRA said:

This would make sense if A4 truely divided the MCU fanbase and we got a schism. The closest that’s come was maybe IM3 and that twist which some to this day will complain about. But it’s small minority and most folks (even maybe those annoyed by IM3) have moved on.

the day MCU fans go DCEU/SW fandom insane will be a sad as hell day.

You obviously blocked Civil War from your mind. Lol.

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

You obviously blocked Civil War from your mind. Lol.

Not really? Nothing at Marvel Reddit was as controversial for CW among fans as IM3 was at the time.

40 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Well, considering that's probably about what most people on here assumed it would make before IW broke out to the degree it did.....

Also, massive record-breaking breakout hits like TFA, Avengers, Jurassic World, Black Panther and so on usually tend to have their sequels drop to some degree from the first film, because breaking out to that degree tends to require some form of novelty (first cinematic superhero team-up movie, a triumphant franchise return, first (modern) black superhero movie and so on.) The second movies lose that novelty and thus tend to drop. The only reason people are assuming otherwise for A4 is because the biggest moment in IW was literally a cliffhanger leading into it. (And even then I still kinda think A4 is going to decrease from it.) 

Don't get me wrong, I think TLJ could definitely have performed a lot better if it wasn't as 'divisive', for lack of a better word, but it certainly didn't 'blow it' as you claim, no more than AOU or CW 'blew it' after the success of The Avengers. A large drop was always expected for TLJ and a large drop was what we got. And while yeah, I'd definitely put TLJ's divisiveness and the toxic conversation around it as part of the reason Solo failed, there are also still dozens of other bigger reasons for Solo's floppage as well.