Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Finished my rewatch of all the Ocean's films!  Rankings:

1. Ocean's 12 (5/5, perfect movie, prove me wrong)

2. Ocean's 11 (4.5/5, highly entertaining but not quite as fun as the idiosyncrasy of the 2nd one)

3. Ocean's 13 (3.5/5, final shot is so fucking satisfying but most of it feels like a course correction from the backlash of 12 rather than just trying to do its own thing; it's still good though, rides purely on the strength of its cast and the fact that it's a heist movie)

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

Also, massive record-breaking breakout hits like TFA, Avengers, Jurassic World, Black Panther and so on usually tend to have their sequels drop to some degree from the first film, because breaking out to that degree tends to require some form of novelty (first cinematic superhero team-up movie, a triumphant franchise return, first (modern) black superhero movie and so on.) The second movies lose that novelty and thus tend to drop. The only reason people are assuming otherwise for A4 is because the biggest moment in IW was literally a cliffhanger leading into it. (And even then I still kinda think A4 is going to decrease from it.) 

On the one hand, sequels to breakout hits tend to decrease. On the other, popular series finales tend to increase (see SW OT, SW PT, HP). The question is which trend will dominate for Avengers.

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Not really? Nothing at Marvel Reddit was as controversial for CW among fans as IM3 was at the time.

LMFAO. It caused a schism between ProTony/AntiStece and AntiTony/ProSteve fans that has never been healed on tumblr and Twitter.  

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

LMFAO. It caused a schism between ProTony/AntiStece and AntiTony/ProSteve fans that has never been healed on tumblr and Twitter.  

The ProTony/AntiSteve people are so obviously wrong that it doesn’t count as true fandom division :Venom:

15 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The ProTony/AntiSteve people are so obviously wrong that it doesn’t count as true fandom division :Venom:

You’re so right, but try telling them that! How dare that mean man hurt their precious Tony!

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Cinephiles are the worst fanboys.

The way they believe in their auteur directors is blind fanatism with little to no self-awareness.

They refuse to grow up and mature and accept the auteur concept/idea is mostly a fallacy.

Just now, The Futurist said:

The way they believe in their auteur directors is blind fanatism with little to no self-awareness.

They refuse to grow up and mature and accept the auteur concept/idea is mostly a fallacy.

Your shtick got old 30,000 posts ago.

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Finished my rewatch of all the Ocean's films!  Rankings:

1. Ocean's 12 (5/5, perfect movie, prove me wrong)

2. Ocean's 11 (4.5/5, highly entertaining but not quite as fun as the idiosyncrasy of the 2nd one)

3. Ocean's 13 (3.5/5, final shot is so fucking satisfying but most of it feels like a course correction from the backlash of 12 rather than just trying to do its own thing; it's still good though, rides purely on the strength of its cast and the fact that it's a heist movie)

I'll laugh if people won't go see oceans 8 because they've already seen 11 and hate old films

The difference, imo, is that the Civil War arguments weren't about whether they loved or hated the movie.  Most fans on both sides enjoyed Civil War- but just had very different interpretations of it.  And honestly, the Steve v. Tony arguments pale in comparison to the shipping wars that many fandoms go through.  I think that arguments of this sort are actually a sign of health for a fandom- because it shows passionate interest in the material.  

The schism caused by TLJ is a different beast- an argument over whether the movie was visionary and broke new ground or defiled beloved characters and ruined the setup from TFA.  I don't believe this is healthy for a fandom.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

They all did by now, the auteur concept that predicted that every Micheal Bay movie will make will be better than Casablanca and the long list of non-auteur studio movie product have been proven wrong a long time ago, no one believe that every other auteur movie will be at least more interesting than every non auteur movie, since the auteur movement took place.  That is a total strawman.

I will guess you will not answer to this message because you either had no idea what auteur mean to start with (the way you call someone like Rian Jonhson an auter as if JJ Abrams or Bay were not much more auteur than him seem to indicate that) or have no actual thought throught point here and just spout stuff that sound brilliant and strawman a position no one actually has.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

Glad fake fans like manny drove Kelly Marie Tran off of social media. Congrats.

Just saw a great video on this by John Campea:

Spoiler

I set the timestamp to 22:58 for the key part, but he starts addressing this issue 16 minutes in. To briefly summarize, he said to the reasonable majority of TLJ detractors, while you don't support or identify with this bigoted/cyberbullying faction, they are identifying themselves with you. They are attaching themselves like leeches to the majority, trying to hijack the movement and steal the credit for tanking Solo, when it's obvious that there were much bigger factors, including just people who had legitimate issues with TLJ and aren't bigoted at all. So Campea is asking those reasonable detractors to denounce the bigots and bullies. We'll see how many of these anti-TLJ blogs and video channels come to Kelly Marie Tran's defense and stop ignoring or downplaying the problem.