Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

21 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I love Avatar, but Brolin's Thanos, despite the CGI being somewhat poorer, is a better overall performance than Jake Sully's Avatar (EDIT: on second thought, Thanos didn't exhibit much range. But I did find his character magnetic to watch.). That said, Ney'tiri is head and shoulders above them both.

On that note, Zoe Saldana is such an underrated actress. Love watching her on screen and Neytiri was my favourite part of AVATAR.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Serious question. How did the hyperspace ramming maneuver make it into The Last Jedi? I thought there was a story/lore group preventing that sort of universe-breaking idea making it onto the screen.

yeah makes you think why didn't any of the ships that got executed didn't just do a 180 and hyperspace just before they ran out of sheild

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Too bad nobody but the Cameron fanboys remembers who Ney'tin is by name....

Dulap you're going to lose your mind when Avatar characters are household names like Vader aren't you?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Dulap you're going to lose your mind when Avatar characters are household names like Vader aren't you?

There's going to be so much madness. It'll be hilarious. It'll be Trump tier meltdowns. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 3:52 PM, IronJimbo said:

LAST JEDI THOUGHT

If the hyperdrive suicide bomb is so effective why don't they make small unmanned ships and launch them at each other?

The Resistance cruiser was one of the largest capital ships around. Rogue One shows us what happens when a fighter or transport hits a capital ship while jumping to lightspeed: it just splatters on the shields.

23 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

There's going to be so much madness. It'll be hilarious. It'll be Trump tier meltdowns. 

On 6/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, dudalb said:

Too bad nobody but the Cameron fanboys remembers who Ney'tin is by name....

:D

I am going to laugh so much when Avatar 2 makes a killing and all the anti-Avatar haters try to explain how a sequel to a film whose characters "nobody remembers" destroys the box office.

It will be fun to read all the excuses and justifications.

Edited by StevenG
  • Haha 2

You people need to calm your horses on Avatar 2 a little bit.

2 things you have to take into consideration is that the first movie had the 3d novelty, and that it had a huge international rake because US dollar was at a low during it's run(it was after the housing bubble).

I have no doubt it's gonna do really well, and I keep faith that Cameron will break ground again. But it's not going anywhere near A1 numbers.

3 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

I have no doubt it's gonna do really well, and I keep faith that Cameron will break ground again. 

Nah...it's going to flop and sink the studio.

Didn't you hear? Nobody remember's the name of the female lead...

Bomb incoming.

4 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

You people need to calm your horses on Avatar 2 a little bit.

2 things you have to take into consideration is that the first movie had the 3d novelty, and that it had a huge international rake because US dollar was at a low during it's run(it was after the housing bubble).

I have no doubt it's gonna do really well, and I keep faith that Cameron will break ground again. But it's not going anywhere near A1 numbers.

It had a huge international rake because US dollar was at a low during it's run(it was after the housing bubble).

1) Still 30 months until Avatar 2 so the dollar strength for A2 is unknown.

2) Inflation alone counteracts the current change in XR

3) Overseas Market growth in the East and South America has been huge since 2019, for perspective IW has beaten Avatar in 15 markets despite the less favourable exchange rates and performing worse compared to current market size.

4) China

first movie had the 3d novelty

There are now 20x as many 3D screens in the world and Jim wants Avatar 2 playing on all of them. We haven't seen any films made for 3D in a while now, last that comes to mind is gravity. The blurry and crappy post processed 3D mixed with the DARK screens due to glasses and cinemas being greedy (reducing lumens on bulb to save money) the quality of 3D has been awful. Speaking personally I went to see IW and RP1 in 3D and both were dark and blurry, I won't be seeing 3D again until Alita but I'm going to have to find a decent cinema to watch it in. Point is 3D still is the way forward but we aren't seeing it in it's peak. Jim has made it his mission to revolutionise 3D and is looking to raise the bar once again. Ask yourself this, which would be more impressive to create the 3D craze out of nothing or to revitalise the current . Jim is a human god I'm sorry to say that he isn't mortal, I trust in him absolutely because he's the most reliable man on earth. Always delivers.

4 billies is the FLOOR

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Plenty of people have simply decided they don't like 3D. It even gives lots of people headaches because there are several people with the type of vision that just can't accommodate 3D very well. You're not going to convince them to give it a try again.

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Plenty of people have simply decided they don't like 3D. It even gives lots of people headaches because there are several people with the type of vision that just can't accommodate 3D very well. You're not going to convince them to give it a try again.

There will be 2D showings, it's not like Avatar 2 is going to rely on 3D to enjoy, it's an enhancement. 3D is important for Hollywood because when done right, it's impossible to replicate the experience at home.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Orestes said:

The only way I'll give 3D another go is if they come up with a version that doesn't require glasses. Putting on 3D glasses over regular glasses is annoying.

The tech already exists, it's just a matter of bringing the cost down and making it accessible for theaters to do the conversion (it takes more than just a new projector).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

There will be 2D showings, it's not like Avatar 2 is going to rely on 3D to enjoy, it's an enhancement. 3D is important for Hollywood because when done right, it's impossible to replicate the experience at home.

But I think too many people are burned on 3D to give it another chance. I don't think you will convince the casual GA to see it in 3D this time like what happened with the first. You can't recreate that 3D novelty hype twice. 

On 6/9/2018 at 4:37 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Nah, I don't know if anything in my life will match the meltdowns over the 2016 election. It legitimately gave people PTSD, with so many predictions that the election was already in the bag and the vote was a formality.

EDIT: Still, I fully expect massive meltdowns and I can't wait for Avatar 2 to blow Avatar's record out of the water. I hope someone is keeping screenshots of all the people making detailed lists of why that's impossible.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Murgatroyd said:

The Resistance cruiser was one of the largest capital ships around. Rogue One shows us what happens when a fighter or transport hits a capital ship while jumping to lightspeed: it just splatters on the shields.

Okay but why not ram an empty capital ship into the Death Star(s)? It was a really stupid thing to put in the movie even if there's a twisted way to justify why that was the only time it happened.

10 hours ago, StevenG said:

:D

I am going to laugh so much when Avatar 2 makes a killing and all the anti-Avatar haters try to explain how a sequel to a film whose characters "nobody remembers" destroys the box office.

It will be fun to read all the excuses and justifications.

The excuses will be gold. The talking points are already settled for the original Avatar. It was the 3D! It was a tech demo! It was the USD exchange rate!

And my favorite: It was the massive marketing campaign.

y6RcNgx.png

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Orestes said:

The only way I'll give 3D another go is if they come up with a version that doesn't require glasses. Putting on 3D glasses over regular glasses is annoying.

I hear you, but that wouldn't even get me to do it.  It adds nothing to 99% of movies that have it, is a gimmick and is best used as one, and even if it was free, I would still go to 2D first.