Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But I think too many people are burned on 3D to give it another chance. I don't think you will convince the casual GA to see it in 3D this time like what happened with the first. You can't recreate that 3D novelty hype twice. 

If it's a visual feast the likes of which we've never seen (like the original Avatar) and the WoM reflects it, I don't see why 3D will be a problem for the BO, especially overseas. I prefer 2D showings but some films (including IW) are legitimately better in 3D.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

4 billies is the FLOOR  

Let's not go too far. I believe $3B is the floor (short of JC completely losing his touch), and $4B would be a fantastic result, although this is JC so it could go even higher, with Avatar he more than doubled the previous non-JC film sitting at #2. 

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Let's not go too far. I believe $3B is the floor (short of JC completely losing his touch), and $4B would be a fantastic result, although this is JC so it could go even higher, with Avatar he more than doubled the previous non-JC film sitting at #2. 

5 billies???

I lost the links but the top 10 highest grossing films of all time lists in 1998 and 2010 are hilarious, the gap is monumental.

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

5 billies???

I lost the links but the top 10 highest grossing films of all time lists in 1998 and 2010 are hilarious, the gap is monumental.

It's going to depend so much on repeat-viewings. $3B is the floor if it "meets expectations". To go beyond $3B is going to require a lot more repeat viewings (on par with the original Avatar). It's going to depend so much on the execution. Does it get Avatar-tier repeat viewings or Titanic-tier? I expect Avatar-tier repeat viewings for a solid screenplay that blows our minds visually again. But it'll need a stronger emotional heart (like, people bawling) than Avatar to reach greater heights.

2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It's going to depend so much on repeat-viewings. $3B is the floor if it "meets expectations". To go beyond $3B is going to require a lot more repeat viewings (on par with the original Avatar). It's going to depend so much on the execution. Does it get Avatar-tier repeat viewings or Titanic-tier? I expect Avatar-tier repeat viewings for a solid screenplay that blows our minds visually again. But it'll need a stronger emotional heart (like, people bawling) than Avatar to reach greater heights.

BPkFGjO.png

bitchin' screenplay, perfect execution and groundbreaking tech... a big spectacle film grounded by heart.

I'm not serious when I say 4 billies is the floor however my prediction as of now is $3.5b+

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

bitchin' screenplay, perfect execution and groundbreaking tech... a big spectacle film grounded by heart.

That's almost every Cameron film, though. Despite his genius it's going to be difficult to top the perfect storm of Titanic. I think I'd agree that $3.5B is the target given the growth in international markets. It's more than just a bitchin' screenplay, you need to utterly grab the hearts and minds of people. 

One thing I'd say in regards to your previous comments, if A4 does beat Avatar (I give a very small chance of that), that's actually good news for A2's box office gross. It gives Cameron another non-Cameron film to double the WW gross of. 😀I don't think the marketing really matters that Avatar is still the #1 grossing film. In fact it might give Cameron an extra kick in the ass and more motivation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

That's almost every Cameron film, though. Despite his genius it's going to be difficult to top the perfect storm of Titanic. I think I'd agree that $3.5B is the target given the growth in international markets. It's more than just a bitchin' screenplay, you need to utterly grab the hearts and minds of people. 

One thing I'd say in regards to your previous comments, if A4 does beat Avatar (I give a very small chance of that), that's actually good news for A2's box office gross. It gives Cameron another non-Cameron film to double the WW gross of. 😀I don't think the marketing really matters that Avatar is still the #1 grossing film. In fact it might give Cameron an extra kick in the ass and more motivation.

If Infinity War Part 2 makes more than Avatar then A2 is making atleast $4b and Avatar will get re-released and make a quick 300m+ and reclaim second

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If Infinity War Part 2 makes more than Avatar then A2 is making atleast $4b and Avatar will get re-released and make a quick 300m+ and reclaim second

I forgot how much $$$ would make on a re-release, it would do gangbusters, especially if it was a remaster that improved the CGI.

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Imagine JC holding the top 3 spots. :Venom:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Imagine JC holding the top 3 spots. :Venom:

This is extremely likely with A3 coming out just 1 year after A2, as long as Avatar survives we're good

I was going to link you where Jim talks about an Avatar re-release with improved CGI but I can't find it for the life in me, I'm still searching but I can't remember anything about the article.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

BPkFGjO.png

I'm not serious when I say 4 billies is the floor however my prediction as of now is $3.5b+

You do know these Cameron quotes you keep posting - real and fake - make him look an up himself, crass, deluded jackass?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

You do know these Cameron quotes you keep posting - real and fake - make him look an up himself, crass, deluded jackass?

Crass jackass? I think that's just another way of saying "funny" but Marvel/SW fans are like the Caveliers to the Cameron Warriors so it produces salt instead of laughter. It's just bantz and also some of it is promoting his movies which every director does. 

As for deluded?

64NTe92.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1