Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

In a discussion of the rumored "Supergirl" movie, The Emperor of France made the statement that all Marvel TV shows have been failures.

Agents of Shield says hi.

I don't like the show very much myself, but is has lasted Four years, longer then most TV shows nowdays.

THat is the problem with being a over the top fan: It blinds you to reality and makes you say some stupid things.

Arrow has been running about just as long as Agents Of Shield and it’s spinoffs are actually lasting (Flash, Legends Of Tomorrow, Supergirl etc). 

Historically speaking even before that DC’s television has been more successful then Marvel’s, especially in animation. That’s not fandom speaking but facts.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

In a discussion of the rumored "Supergirl" movie, The Emperor of France made the statement that all Marvel TV shows have been failures.

Agents of Shield says hi.

I don't like the show very much myself, but is has lasted Four years, longer then most TV shows nowdays.

THat is the problem with being a over the top fan: It blinds you to reality and makes you say some stupid things.

What a weird thing for someone to say.     

Agents of shield is a big success, both quality and in terms of running for 6+ seasons.    

Agent Carter got cancelled pretty fast, reasonable to say it was a failure.  

Daredevil has excellent critical reception, 3rd season incoming, no sign of stopping, clear success.  

Jessica Jones has solid critical reception,  3rd season incoming, no sign of stopping, clear success.   

Luke Cage has good critical reception, every indication of more seasons to come, clear success.  

Iron Fist did get a second season, but the first was pretty meh, wouldn't quibble with calling it a failure. 

Defenders also perhaps fair to call a failure.     

Punisher had controversial critical reception to some degree thanks to the subject matter, but pretty well liked, getting more seasons, etc. Pretty hard to spin as a failure.   

Runaways and Cloak and Dagger are both getting second seasons, medium quality, not spectacular viewership but not disastrous either.    

So maybe 3/10 MCU shows could be called failures, or 5/10 if you wanted to be really harsh and stretch things.     

On the other hand, 0/0 DCEU TV shows are failures, so I guess you could try to spin that as a 100% success rate :p 

Edit: LOL, also there's the one show so bad I'd completely wiped it from my mind, Inhumans. So 4/11.

Edited by Thanos Legion

34 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Arrow has been running about just as long as Agents Of Shield and it’s spinoffs are actually lasting (Flash, Legends Of Tomorrow, Supergirl etc). 

To be fair though, the DC shows are the basically the only thing that the CW has going for them.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Disney's Marvel TV shows may fail in the ratings, but one has conquered the big screen:

image.jpg

First and only comic book show I couldn’t get through. It was so bad.

I’m struggling with runaways  also. 

8 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

What a weird thing for someone to say.     

Agents of shield is a big success, both quality and in terms of running for 6+ seasons.    

Agent Carter got cancelled pretty fast, reasonable to say it was a failure.  

Daredevil has excellent critical reception, 3rd season incoming, no sign of stopping, clear success.  

Jessica Jones has solid critical reception,  3rd season incoming, no sign of stopping, clear success.   

Luke Cage has good critical reception, every indication of more seasons to come, clear success.  

Iron Fist did get a second season, but the first was pretty meh, wouldn't quibble with calling it a failure. 

Defenders also perhaps fair to call a failure.     

Punisher had controversial critical reception to some degree thanks to the subject matter, but pretty well liked, getting more seasons, etc. Pretty hard to spin as a failure.   

Runaways and Cloak and Dagger are both getting second seasons, medium quality, not spectacular viewership but not disastrous either.    

So maybe 3/10 MCU shows could be called failures, or 5/10 if you wanted to be really harsh and stretch things.     

On the other hand, 0/0 DCEU TV shows are failures, so I guess you could try to spin that as a 100% success rate 😛

Edit: LOL, also there's the one show so bad I'd completely wiped it from my mind, Inhumans. So 4/11.

Not so fast ... I will not have Agent Carter disparaged. 😛 

Season One of Agent Carter, which had excellent reviews - is still the best season for an MCU TV series - yes I said it - even better than Daredevil S1. 

It's second season while a drop in quality was also better than others which suffered the sophomore slump.  The second season Live  (doesn't count repeats and streaming) ratings dropped almost half from 4m+ (though it started of with near 7m so it's avg was 5m+)  to a 2.68m avg.   That drop was similar to Arrow  (interesting the show runner is married to one of Carter's show runners) S1 to S2 - 4.14m to 2.6m.  Arrow stayed in the 2s for another couple of seasons but it's 6th was down to 1.27m

Even with the ratings drop a chief reason Carter was cancelled was because ABC wanted Atwell for another series - a contemporary one - it thought would have stronger ratings.  Alas Conviction was a critical and ratings dud.  For comparison that same year AOS averaged 3.43m though it's 5th just averaged 2.1m

DC had Constantine  which had around the then Flash ratings - averaging 3.3m (last season - s$ - Flash was 2.2m) when cancelled. But NBC like ABC demands higher ratings than the CW.   Legends averages about 1.5m.

Supergirl which started out with a bang on CBS with a 12.9m premiere but couldn't sustain those ratings (dropped to a 5-6 by the end of S1) or expensive production and migrated to CW.  Last season (S3) was a 1.83 avg on CW

Freeform where Cloak & Dagger airs has an even lower bar for ratings success than the CW - its current avg is .572m Live viewers (or about 20% of Carter's second season).  It's the 4th highest scripted show on their channel and has been renewed. 

The Gifted on Fox averages 3.3m viewers while the better reviewed The Legion averages a fraction of that at .43m on FX

As for Netflix - it has it's own hidden algorithms.  Neilsen though is giving out numbers that Netflix disputes 

https://www.recode.net/2017/10/18/16495130/netflix-the-defenders-6-1-million-viewers-season-premiere

The ratings provider offered some details on a few of Netflix’s original shows. Netflix’s “The Defenders,” “Fuller House” and “House of Cards” have comparable viewership numbers to top shows on cable and syndicated network TV, according to Nielsen.   “The Defenders," a Netflix original based on Marvel superhero characters, averaged 6.1 million viewers the week its first episode premiered in August, according to data Nielsen provided to Recode on three Netflix originals.

That’s slightly less than the average viewership that CBS’s “Big Bang Theory” got in syndication, about 7.4 million viewers the week of Sept. 25. People who watched “The Defenders” premiere were also prone to binge watch it, with people consuming 4.6 episodes on average that day alone.

Also a data/ratings site Symphony.am (with similar capture processes to Neilsen) gave this info in Oct 2016. 

https://www.newsweek.com/netflix-ratings-revealed-these-are-top-25-original-streaming-shows-2016-538877

Top 25 original streaming shows of 2016 (based on first 35 days of release):

1. Orange Is the New Black (season four)—23 million viewers
  2. Stranger Things—21.7m
  3. Fuller House—21.5m
  4. Marvel’s Luke Cage—12.1m
  5. Marvel’s Daredevil (season two)—11.6m
  6. House of Cards (season four)—8.8m
  7. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (season two)—8.4m
  8. The Ranch —5.8m
  9. 11.22.63—5.3m
  10. Amanda Knox—4.96m
  11. The Get Down—4.91m
  12. Gracie and Frankie (season two)—4.5m
  13. Love—4m
  14. Narcos (season two)—3.8m
  15. Black Mirror (season three)—3.7m
  16. The Crown—3.5m
  17. Bloodline (season two)—3.3m
  18. Longmire (season five)—3.2m
  19. Chelsea Does—2.7m
  20. The Path—2.06m
  21. Flaked—2.04m
  22. Bojack Horseman (season three)—2m
  23. Marco Polo (season two)—1.9m
  24. Goliath—1.8m
  25. Bosch (season two)—1.6m

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

If Marvel wants to incorporate the Fox properties into the MCU, I see no way it would work with the X-men (I mean it doesn't even work in the comics).

But the FF are a perfect fit. They can link the earth to cosmic, they have great rogues gallery, and they have great interactions with other marvel heroes.

The way I'd do it, I'd leave the heroes scattered across the universe or multiple timelines after the final Thanos fight, and for the stinger have the FF open a portal to the main timeline. Then have them show up in other marvel movies (Human Torch in Spiderman would be bonkers) and eventually have the Fantastic Four movie.

16 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Supergirl is not a spinoff from Arrow. The show was acquired from CBS. Yes, the networks did a ratings stunt crossover with Flash but that doesn't make the show a spinoff from Arrow. 

As to Agent Carter, I to hated to see how the audience abandoned it in such a way as to not get a S3. The show could've easily worked it's way through the 50s and along the way really begun the ground work for SHIELD. I even hoped we might see a few Golden/Silver Age Atlas/Timely characters reimagined for the show. 

An Agent Carter S3 would've been a far better move than the Inhumans. Worse Marvel TV show that I've seen. I say that cause I've not gotten to Runaways, Gifted and Cloak&Dagger as yet. 

Just now, AndyK said:

I don't watch any of the TV SH stuff, theyre all seem unwatchable to me.

they're the cheap tainted heroin of the superhero addiction. the movies are French connection level pure heroin in comparison. some people just gotta get that fast fix though. 

• Like 1