Jump to content
Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Recommended Posts

well then I guess maybe James Cameron is the best at objectively being a historian with film. (putting earth history into movies) but that process if bringing to #1 might require a lot of luck.  It is just a cause of the human effect IMO. However, visualizing history is not too hard like what George Lucas did.

Edited by dX airdry zid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AndyK said:

inflation adjusted

How exactly does one go about adjusting foreign exchange rates across various times (and multiple re-releases). I've asked this of a friend of mine who is an economics professor at the LSE and he says it's basically impossible without making things up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

You understamd very well what Im saying. Good points but still my statement iwnt quite challenged.

 

 

15 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I cringed. Hard.

So did I

My final comment on Trum;p.

When I was eight years old I saw this movie, and it was called "Watergate".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dX airdry zid said:

well then I guess maybe James Cameron is the best at objectively being a historian with film. (putting earth history into movies) but that process if bringing to #1 might require a lot of luck.  It is just a cause of the human effect IMO. However, visualizing history is not too hard like what George Lucas did.

Cameron has made just one historical film.."Titanic".  And although good, he is not in the same league as David Lean when it comes to historical films.

Of course Spieberg said that his whole generation of filmmakers all tried to be David Lean, and failed.

And I reject that making a good historical film is "not as hard" as what Lucas did.

Edited by dudalb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

There's a movie that made more than Avatar? Where? 

You will love the answer, Titanic got very close:

2,463,768,663.13 2009 dollar in is first run and 320.88m 2009 dollar in 2012, for around 2784.6m 2009 dollar in total before it's 20 anniversary re-release, getting really close to Avatar 2,788.0m

 

Gone With the Wind, The 10th Commandment launched it's first release with an around 1billion world wild launch at it's first release, and played a long time after that.

 

And now, even if you talk box office champion, you need to objectively demonstrated that having the biggest movie (if that is the case), make you objectively the champion over selling much more ticket and making much more money over a career like those guys did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

How exactly does one go about adjusting foreign exchange rates across various times (and multiple re-releases). I've asked this of a friend of mine who is an economics professor at the LSE and he says it's basically impossible without making things up. 

Inflation adjusting does not require adjusting foreign exchange rate, it is still just talking about money not ticket sales.

 

For the multiple re-release you look at the box office of the 4-5 main one and adjust for each year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Cameron has made just one historical film.."Titanic".  And although good, he is not in the same league as David Lean when it comes to historical films.

Of course Spieberg said that his whole generation of filmmakers all tried to be David Lean, and failed.

And I reject that making a good historical film is "not as hard" as what Lucas did.

Cameron (in my vague beliefs) bases his stories around grounded human evidence, tradition, and culture. His aliens don't do much. or they reflect human civilization

Edited by dX airdry zid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

100%. I have a problem with lifeism, why do we openly discriminate against the dead? Where does it say the President elect has to be alive? 

 

19 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I don't even believe in the mind... and legally speaking what I said is true, there is no prohibition against electing a non-living person, as far as I am aware. 

 

Lifeism and believing in the mind are real though?

 

and Law and Physics are fake build objectively from life or nature?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Inflation adjusting does not require adjusting foreign exchange rate, it is still just talking about money

If I sell a ticket in China in 1928 and again in 2008 you have to adjust for domestic inflation, that's not easy, but it's not hard either. If I sell a ticket in the USA in 1928 and then have to convert that dollar into 2008 renminbi it's a monumental task with no clear method that would satisfy a serious economist. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

If I sell a ticket in China in 1928 and again in 2008 you have to adjust for domestic inflation, that's not easy, but it's not hard either. If I sell a ticket in the USA in 1928 and then have to convert that dollar into 2008 renminbi it's a monumental task with no clear method that would satisfy a serious economist. 

Not if you are talking/caring about how much the movie made in US dollar for the "studio" at the time.

 

What you are describing is trying to evaluate how popular it was or some account similar to ticket sales, that is yes extremely difficult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's impossible. Which was my original point... which leaves us with only Avatar sitting at the top. 

Your original point was money, I always just talked about money without bringing ticket sales or popularity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Your original point was money, I always just talked about money without bringing ticket sales or popularity.

As was I. It is impossible to adjust a monetary value based on exchange rate and inflation. If @AndyK could prove what he said regarding GwtW and the amount it made to the satisfaction of macro and micro economists, not only would it change the way we look at CPI, he'd probably get himself a cushy job at the UN, or at the very least tenure at a university. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

As was I. It is impossible to adjust a monetary value based on exchange rate and inflation. If @AndyK could prove what he said regarding GwtW and the amount it made to the satisfaction of macro and micro economists, not only would it change the way we look at CPI, he'd probably get himself a cushy job at the UN, or at the very least tenure at a university. 

Why do you bring the exchange rate ?

 

Has for a perfect adjustment of the value of money over time, obviously it isn't perfect, but we are just talking about movies here I think the little twerk and imperfection of that metric can be look over at.

 

We can just make the best we can do to estimate, not like there is any consequence at being a bit wrong.

Edited by Barnack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

Yes, because the GWRB is the authority on modern economic law... what a joke. They adjust for inflation as if the world were the US and was a static object, even a person who had done Econ 101 would laugh at their "method". 

 

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Why do you bring the exchange rate ?

 

Has for a perfect adjustment of the value of money over time, obviously it isn't perfect, but we are just talking about movies here I think the little twerk and imperfection of that metric can be look over at.

"It isn't perfect" is a far cry from flat out wrong. Which adjusting for inflation and making profoundly flawed assumptions about exchange rates and the value of currency against the dollar over time, patently do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.