Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

46 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Gone with the Wind made $3.6bn inflation adjusted.

Jim has some way to go.

I checked a few adjusted greatest hits list, and on almost all of them Avatar does not even make the top ten.

8 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Yes, because the GWRB is the authority on modern economic law... what a joke. They adjust for inflation as if the world were the US and was a static object, even a person who had done Econ 101 would laugh at their "method". 

It is a static object.

The studio knows what income it got in $US from each movie and when.

And anyway the whole "Avatar made more money then any other movie and therefore is the greatest movie ever made" argument is so asinine and stupid it's really not worth answering.

And the whole "but this is box office site" is just a dodge to avoid talking about "Avatar" as movie instead of as an investment.

• Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

I checked a few adjusted greatest hits list, and on almost all of them Avatar does not even make the top ten.

That's because they're measuring domestic. 

Here's some fun math for you folks that don't understand basic economics (and probably supported Hillary). 

I'm going to take the gross of Wolf Warrior 2 at 5.7B RMB in 2017. Now I'm going to convert it to dollars and adjust it for inflation (so we go from an exchange rate of 6.3 in 2017 to 1.5 in 1980 of USD to RMB (that's 0.14 dollars being worth 0.65 dollars for those that can't be bothered to do the extra math).

So adjusting for inflation (and using the solid and unquestioned logic of the GWRB except from a Chinese perspective instead) Wolf Warrior 2 actually made 4,059,368,109 dollars (if released in 1980)! 

Isn't this fun?  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

"It isn't perfect" is a far cry from flat out wrong. Which adjusting for inflation and making profoundly flawed assumptions about exchange rates and the value of currency against the dollar over time, patently do. 

Not sure why you bring exchange rate all the time.

But yes, you are just pointing out my objection about objectively the greatest director of all time there no ;)

Clearly if we cannot say how much Gone With the wind, 10 commandment, Chaplin movie that were popular all over the world including China with very little recording of it and Avatar made to compare them, how can one be objectively above the other ?

Just now, Barnack said:

Clearly if we cannot say how much Gone With the wind, 10 commandment, Chaplin movie that were popular all over the world including China with very little recording of it and Avatar made to compare them, how can one be objectively above the other ?

If you want to say that GwtW made $3.6B in today's dollars then you also agree with the logic above, if Wolf Warrior 2 were released in 1980 it would make over $4B (using the same flawed logic). Do you agree with this statement Barnack? 

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If the dollar were static then the very idea of adjusting for inflation would be nonsensical. :jeb!:

your talking of inflation in every country and accounting for exchange rates.

Thats not what happens, its very much simpler than that because what gets inflation adjusted in the US $ made in the year it was received by the studio.

It was already been converted to US$.

Its not that difficult to calculate if the studio reports the numbers.

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If you want to say that GwtW made $3.6B in today's dollars then you also agree with the logic above, if Wolf Warrior 2 were released in 1980 it would make over $4B (using the same flawed logic). Do you agree with this statement Barnack? 

No, its not a US studio reporting in $.

40 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I never said an amount about Gwtw but I am really unsure what your point is.

Are you saying if Wolf Warrior 2 would have 5.68 billion Yuan in 1980 would it be one of the biggest moneymaker ever ?

Obviously yes it would, what is flawed about that ?

• Like 1