Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

On 8/22/2018 at 7:12 PM, Barnack said:

Yes the vast majority of 400m in 1939 would be crazy (and domestic alone !), 400m was enough money to buy 100,000 houses in 39 (that would cost like 18 billion today), around 600k cars.

Total compound US inflation 1939..2017 = x17.6 =$7bn

Which is why the total is aggregated in the years the income was received (re-releases etc) and brings it down to $3.6bn.

15 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's why it scares me how little people seem to understand about it... 

As you have so clearly demonstrated.

On 8/22/2018 at 8:17 PM, kdx125b said:

Avengers 4 - Reshoots don't start until September, and although I think firing James Gunn will be a mistake for Disney in the long run, it's both too late and too soon for this movie to feel the effects.  Unless Drax was going to have a much larger role than anyone's been letting on ...

The cinephiles were up in arms when Edgar Wright was dismissed. Making claims of how Ant-Man would suffer.

Disney isn't going to miss Gunn and neither will GotG. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, dX airdry zid said:

Is it usually big budget blockbuster that announce the current filming state and the rest of films keep it hidden?

It doesn't seem to be.  I got my information from Wikipedia, only considered blockbusters because that's what the tweet specified, and didn't think to look at IMDB.  Doing a spot-check of all the films scheduled for September 2019, either Wikipedia lists a start of filming or IMDB gives an undated status:

Angry Birds 2 - Wikipedia lists no start date, IMDB says filming
Untitled Danny Boyle/Richard Curtis - filming began April 21, 2018
Spies in Disguise - IMDB says pre-production
The Kitchen - principal production began May 7, 2018
Little - no Wikipedia article, IMDB says filming
Charlie's Angels - IMDB says pre-production
Abominable - IMDB says post-production
The Hunt - IMDB say pre-production

For the blockbusters I wasn't sure about in the previous post, IMDB says Frozen is pre-production, and The Lion King is filming.

People are comparing with Thor because of some story elements which we always knew would be the same. That's not saying quality or entertainment level will be as low as the Thor movies.

It's like comparing Wonder Woman with the first Captain America. In some aspects, yes, there were similarities, but Wonder Woman as a whole was its own thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

People are comparing with Thor because of some story elements which we always knew would be the same. That's not saying quality or entertainment level will be as low as the Thor movies.

It's like comparing Wonder Woman with the first Captain America. In some aspects, yes, there were similarities, but Wonder Woman as a whole was its own thing. 

They clearly compare the quality. They use the exact word.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 9:33 AM, Captain Craig said:

The cinephiles were up in arms when Edgar Wright was dismissed. Making claims of how Ant-Man would suffer.

Disney isn't going to miss Gunn and neither will GotG. 

Edgar Wright wasn't "dismissed", he left the project of his own choice over long-running creative differences.  James Gunn was summarily fired one single day after a wingnut rape advocate pizza conspiracist dug up some tasteless jokes that had been apologized for years ago, because he needed new outrage material to sell his brain pills.  The first situation happens all the time in Hollywood, the second situation is something that will make anyone working for Disney, and anyone thinking of working for Disney, have serious doubts about how secure their job could ever be.

As for comparing the fan reactions, cinephiles are about as far from being Marvel's base as it's possible to get, and no comics forum has ever needed to create a special "Cinephile Wars" thread to keep all their other threads from being wrecked by endless poisonous arguments over whose auteur is bigger.  

Just now, 4815162342 said:

It's been over a year since Valerian so I guess he can assume everyone has forgotten he was in it

he said in another interview i listened to a few months ago that Valerian was a better movie than black panther btw.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

he said in another interview i listened to a few months ago that Valerian was a better movie than black panther btw.

COCAINE!!!!!

Im trying to find the podcast, I’m listening to one now, he kinda has a douche-voice. He should consider voicing Illumination villains for a quick paycheque. 

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Well he's pretty on point about Logan.

Its a movie that somehow gets worse every time I try to watch it. It seems to have kinda faded away since it’s release last year.

28 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

If you first excise from Valerian the 20+ minute sequence where the film slams to a halt for a kidnapping sideplot and in which Ethan Hawke shows up, it's not an entirely unreasonable proposition

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

COCAINE!!!!!

Im trying to find the podcast, I’m listening to one now, he kinda has a douche-voice. He should consider voicing Illumination villains for a quick paycheque. 

it was variety's podcast around the time First Reformed came out if i recall correctly.