Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

If you first excise from Valerian the 20+ minute sequence where the film slams to a halt for a kidnapping sideplot and in which Ethan Hawke shows up, it's not an entirely unreasonable proposition

i've still not seen it. i might give it a go since i liked Lucy a lot more than everyone else and now that one guy isn't around any more to be annoying about it.

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

If you first excise from Valerian the 20+ minute sequence where the film slams to a halt for a kidnapping sideplot and in which Ethan Hawke shows up, it's not an entirely unreasonable proposition

If you excise everything after the opening sequence then he might have a point.  The rest is :gold:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Its a movie that somehow gets worse every time I try to watch it. It seems to have kinda faded away since it’s release last year.

I never had any desire to rewatch it. It's fine and I'd pick it over most superhero movies but Hawke is right that it still can't escape being silly underneath the whole somber attitude. Ironic that it got nominated for screenplay cause that's easily its weakest part. I doubt its reputation is gonna come down that much though. 

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

*cough*

He s joking right ?

Comedy Gold.

Wait, there are people who really think like that ?

:wintf::apocalypse::gold:

Funny how people can't see the underlying theme here.

Ethan Hawke actually thinks audiences are gullible idiots incapable of knowing what is great art/cinema and what is not.

But HE knows, thank God.

He s one of those, talking about superhero films like if it is some kind of disease.

He is patronizing, condescending, like plenty of movie critics &  stuck up & precious cinephiles.

Especially on the left.

That s the proverbial irony of the left.

They will always  pretend to defend the oppressed the poor and champion the People.

But deep inside, they truly believe the People are uneducated masses who have terrible taste in the matters of Art.

Social/class racism at its finest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've still not seen it. i might give it a go since i liked Lucy a lot more than everyone else and now that one guy isn't around any more to be annoying about it.

It is better than it got credit for. But there is a good-sized chunk of the film in the second act where it just dies and I'm wondering when we're gonna get back to the actual movie.

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

If they replaced the guy that played Valerian, and also made sure the relationship with the boy and girl felt more like a relationship instead of uncomfortable workplace harassment, and got rid of that weirdness with Rihanna... you may have a solid argument.

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Its like Jupiter Ascending without the insanity, which ultimately leaves you with a pretty dull film.

i think it’s on Netflix.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I never had any desire to rewatch it. It's fine and I'd pick it over most superhero movies but Hawke is right that it still can't escape being silly underneath the whole somber attitude. Ironic that it got nominated for screenplay cause that's easily its weakest part. I doubt its reputation is gonna come down that much though. 

I'm not a big fan of Logan but I don't think it's silly just rather thin and repetitive while too dour and miserable to be fun.   Jackman and Stewart's performances are what make it work

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

If they replaced the guy that played Valerian, and also made sure the relationship with the boy and girl felt more like a relationship instead of uncomfortable workplace harassment, and got rid of that weirdness with Rihanna... you may have a solid argument.

That and if they also got two other actors for the leads, if Besson made the movie more cohesive and less episodic and if he didn't end the movie in a completely imbecilic way - then yeah - but it would be an entirely different movie.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I like Valerian but the leads are quite problematic.

Which is weird because Besson's carrer was always built upon his instincts on casting his actors.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'm not a big fan of Logan but I don't think it's silly just rather thin and repetitive while too dour and miserable to be fun.   Jackman and Stewart's performances are what make it work

The whole thing with the family in the barn was ripped straight from the first Wolverine movie (and the “Families I get close to die”cliche seems to be synonymous with Wolverine comics).

The stuff with the kids at the end is kinda silly given what preceded but it’s not terrible or nothing.

Its a movie that doesn’t really know what it want’s to be. It’s half a somber down to earth movie about a soldier on his last leg, and half a standard superhero film. It does both ok but not great. It’s a cowardly movie imo. The Old Man Logan comic managed to mix the Old Man shit with the Superhero shit. It doesn’t try to hide it, it embraces it, telling a story about an older hero in an interesting world where superhero shit once went down. The world in Logan just felt like a normal “in the near-future” kinda deal. No wonderment. Just the same shit you can see in cheap SciFi like “Upgrade”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Smart move by Feige. Leave Guardians 3 in limbo for a while, let cooler heads prevail. Smh...we all know what was going to happen. 

The new director would be the whipping boy for the Gunn fans angry over the firing. Marvel likes to bring in indie film directors, giving them a shot at a blockbuster, and it would be unfair to them to be put in that spot. Possible mailed in performances from the actors, in support of Gunn. There may even be an attempted boycott. 

I say quietly cancel it, and avoid an ugly situation, but Feige's got balls. Theres ways to cancel it without officially canceling it 🙂. Well, you keep pushing production back. Then, Variety has a footnote on a new article, that it was canceled 🙂.

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Disbelief 1