Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The weaponery, i give you that. Also the general scenery.

Everything else about the villains in Wonder Woman i personally hated. I especially hated how the film portrayed the german high command of WW1 basically as nazis. When you want Nazis as antagonists use WW2 as your setting goddamnit. And i hated how they used a real historical person (Erich von Luddendorf) as a quasi nazi-parody "evil" general.

Thats my personal rambling. I dont ever expect Hollywood to portay anything pre 1990 as even remotely accurate, especially when the setting is not in the US. But i cant overlook it in Wonder Woman. Which is a shame since i loved Gald Gadots and Chris Pines chemistry. When these two shared a scene, the film really shines.

Well in history classes in NA the germans are still painted as evil in ww1 as they cant detach the war from ww2.

I wonder what luddendorf would have thought that most people thought he was a dcu villian now.

The propaganda of the horror of Germans act during WW1 went very far at the time, soldiers were eating the babies it was the return of the Huns/barbarian conquest of Europe like the olds days and some were real stories did leave a mark for sure, not just WW2 (obviously that really didn't help).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_Belgium

The start of chemicals warfare in the conflict, submarine that destroyed marine warfare long "gentleman" practice.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 2:22 AM, Lordmandeep said:

Well in history classes in NA the germans are still painted as evil in ww1 as they cant detach the war from ww2.

I wonder what luddendorf would have thought that most people thought he was a dcu villian now.

Good example of why in my opinion the american education system is so bad.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:37 AM, Barnack said:

The propaganda of the horror of Germans act during WW1 went very far at the time, soldiers were eating the babies it was the return of the Huns/barbarian conquest of Europe like the olds days and some were real stories did leave a mark for sure, not just WW2 (obviously that really didn't help).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_Belgium

The start of chemicals warfare in the conflict, submarine that destroyed marine warfare long "gentleman" practice.

In World War 1, every side of the conflict was responsible for horrifying war crimes. The Germans, the French, the British, all of them.

Germany just lost. Thats why the german crimes and the propaganda are still so present for many people, while the crimes of the other nations are largely forgotten. To be clear: I dont want - in any way! - defend the war crimes of the German Empire in WW1, but it is at best ignorant to paint the Germans as "evil", when all sides comitted "evil" acts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

In World War 1, every side of the conflict was responsible for horrifying war crimes. The Germans, the French, the British, all of them.

Germany just lost. Thats why the german crimes and the propaganda are still so present for many people, while the crimes of the other nations are largely forgotten. To be clear: I dont want - in any way! - defend the war crimes of the German Empire in WW1, but it is at best ignorant to paint the Germans as "evil", when all sides comitted "evil" acts.

Well I imagine how German Audiences reacted to seeing Ludendorf as a DCU villian lol. 

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The one WWI novel though consistently taught in US schools is All Quiet On the Western Front - or it used to be.  Other war novels/no fic I recall from JHS and HS - were Red Badge of Courage, Hiroshima and Night.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyK said:

she was good in man of steel but they definitely blew it with the follow ups. i get they put a million characters in those movies but it's a bummer when you get The Best Working Actress in your movie and make her hang around doing nothing.

10 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Nah, only the Germans had terrorisation of the occupied civilian population as official military policy.

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Nah, only the Germans had terrorisation of the occupied civilian population as official military policy.

I repeat myself: I dont want to defend the war crimes of the German side in any way. All im saying is that no side of the conflict fought a "clean" war. For the british, you have the Baralong incidents for example or the contiuned use of poison gas in the trench war (yes, the germans started it, but the british used it too afterwards, doesnt make it any less tragic).

And thats why portraying the Germans of WW1 basically as Nazis in Wonder Woman annoyed me greatly.

• Like 1

So yeah, the most influential movie of the last ten years released in 2008 is absolutely 

NOT the one you think it is. 

(spoiler) : action happens mostly on daylight.

History and facts have spoken.

:shades::rock::bravo:

Edited by The Futurist

38 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

(yes, the germans started it, but the british used it too afterwards, doesnt make it any less tragic).

I disagree here, it does make a good difference who started it (as seen in WW2, if no one start it, no one start it and it is not used, the morals/ethics of the use of the 2 Nukes on Japan would not still be a big debate if they were sent by a nation after receiving Nuke attack themselve)

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I disagree here, it does make a good difference who started it (as seen in WW2, if no one start it, no one start it and it is not used, the morals/ethics of the use of the 2 Nukes on Japan would not still be a big debate if they were sent by a nation after receiving Nuke attack themselve)

I dont neccessarily disagree with your point here, i just think that the use of weapons with such horrifying consequences should always be viewed as just that: tragic. No matter who started it or which side used it.