Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

'Studies' - there are many bigoted studies, anyone with even a cursory understanding of the history of anti-semitism for example knows all about how studies can be used to compound a bigoted streotype.

You haven't even read any of the studies to call them bigoted though. Bigotry is only bigotry when it is hateful and unreasonable. Outside of my use of the word "hobo" (which I already apologised for), there is nothing that I said that would make me a classist or ignorant. And you have constantly stereotyped people who study in international schools as idiots (and have used that as a derogatory term towards me) and I could consider that as bigotry too. 

Either way, good thing I don't see you contribute much out here. I mean at least not enough for me to care about if you think my positions are credible or not.

53 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Sound like it, cannot find a source and were saying it before the rating could be in.

It was monday 3:00/4:00/5:00 AM in Europe when it played and less than 2% of the rating would be from the United State ? When the US is giant proportion of HBO subscription and the episode playing in a perfect TV time (for most of the rest of the world it was a bit of a making no sense schedule, it is something to take a day off  work and watch a live event at 5 in the morning in a bar, for a fiction that you can watch anytime...)

Sound like the big numbers non sense we heard often in the past for the Oscar/SuperBowl, American do love doing it.

For what is worth, and it's anecdotal evidence ,It was 4 am in my country  and I know at least 4 bars that were live streaming the episode and they were packed.Personally,at 4 am  I was watching with 10 more friends and yes we had to go to work in the morning.Totally worth it.

50 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The title does not say Movie Franchise Wars!  

However you are partially right, this is a fanboy wars thread.  GoT and Pika Pika stans are not fanboys they’re fanadults!

Well, its a movie box office forum, so its kind of implied.

Otherwise McDonalds and Starbucks might as well be crowned champions and the thread can be closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

That doesn’t even count the people who watch through streaming in the US.  I believe Season 7’s cumulative average per episode on their first week was about 30m in US

premiere drew 17.4 million viewers across all platforms (linear, HBOGO and HBO NOW)

15 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Otherwise McDonalds and Starbucks might as well be crowned champions and the thread can be closed.

Some GoT episodes got a release in theaters so technically it is also a movie franchise, just like Inhumans or Sherlock.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Don't kill the messenger.

And for what is worth,maybe they don't only count views from HBO but also those who tuned it with some network that has partnered with HBO and live streams the show.

Thats an outright stupid lie. The numbers makes no sense and were immediately disproven by the tweet posted by raulbalrezo

1 hour ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

That doesn’t even count the people who watch through streaming in the US.  I believe Season 7’s cumulative average per episode on their first week was about 30m in US

Let’s see what this one averages per week in the US!  Could it push 40m?

The link I posted on the last page by the NY times said that the average viewership for last season was around 30m. It did not say anything about it being just in a week or just in USA. 

The viewership numbers for the series finale was 16.5 when including HBO go and NOW.  The record number in UK was around 5 million and 1.2 in Australia at the very max. Viewership in the US did not exceed 12 million for initial broadcast in the US for the last season. So that 30 number is most likely worldwide. Although of course repeat viewings would take that number much higher. But I never was talking about overall numbers but just the initial ones. 

The point being, that 1 billion number is so nonsensical it cannot be true. As I mentioned viewership would have to jump 3300% from last seasons finale for the numbers to be anywhere close. 

As shown by that Variety reported number, initial viewing figures in US were 17.4 million. I doubt the international numbers would be much higher than that.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

The link I posted on the last page by the NY times said that the average viewership for last season was around 30m. It did not say anything about it being just in a week or just in USA. 

No that's viewers during the first month after each episode aired, just in the US.

24 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

As shown by that Variety reported number, initial viewing figures in US were 17.4 million. I doubt the international numbers would be much higher than that. 

Obviously, they are.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Obviously, they are.

Well not sure how obvious, yes there was 54m HBO subscriber in the US while around 142m WW I think.

But considering it played prime time in the US vs the rest of the world it could be close.

Just now, Barnack said:

But considering it played prime time in the US vs the rest of the world it could be close.

The correct figure would, at the very least, include prime time "repeats" in all countries and not just those who watched at the same time as the US, possibly in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

The correct figure would, at the very least, include prime time "repeats" in all countries and not just those who watched at the same time as the US, possibly in the middle of the night.

Well yes would include watch before the statement in the early AM was made, many market had yet to be in a prime watch time schedule.

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well yes would include watch before the statement in the early AM was made, many market had yet to be in a prime watch time schedule.

The point is that this was wrong:

57 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

So that 30 number is most likely worldwide.

Who cares about the 1B random figure, it is most likely wrong and poorly sourced.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Who cares about the 1B random figure, it is most likely wrong and poorly sourced.

Well obviously nothing about anything ever talked here is something we should care about, but that was the very subject I for one was responding too. that American habit of selling giant world event when they are not for marketing  (not that it is a big issue)

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Except McD’s doesn’t make the art.

You May have an argument for Starbs!

48 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

People will do everything they can to discount the phenomenon that GoT is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Thats an outright stupid lie. The numbers makes no sense and were immediately disproven by the tweet posted by raulbalrezo

The viewership numbers for the series finale was 16.5 when including HBO go and NOW.  The record number in UK was around 5 million and 1.2 in Australia at the very max. Viewership in the US did not exceed 12 million for initial broadcast in the US for the last season. So that 30 number is most likely worldwide. Although of course repeat viewings would take that number much higher. But I never was talking about overall numbers but just the initial ones. 

The point being, that 1 billion number is so nonsensical it cannot be true. As I mentioned viewership would have to jump 3300% from last seasons finale for the numbers to be anywhere close. 

No 17.4m are for people who watched it “live” in the US (Nielsen measures US viewership, not international).

The 30m figure for S7 is for people who watched in the US after the premiere.

That means with about 50m US subs, 60% or so watched GoT S7 during the month it premiered.  142m HBO subs worldwide and a similar ratio would get an average of 85m viewers total for S7.

Now obviously, that’s also not counting the massive amounts of people who illegally or multiple people watching a stream together (watch party).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

People will do everything they can to discount the phenomenon that GoT is.

They are trying to hide behind a Wall. How foolish, it won't protect them from the pop culture juggernaut of the decade.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

7 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

No 17.4m are for people who watched it “live” in the US (Nielsen measures US viewership, not international).

The 30m figure for S7 is for people who watched in the US after the premiere.

That means with about 50m US subs, 60% or so watched GoT S7 during the month it premiered.  142m HBO subs worldwide and a similar ratio would get an average of 85m viewers total for S7.

Now obviously, that’s also not counting the massive amounts of people who illegally or multiple people watching a stream together (watch party).

Well yes. As I bolded in my post which you quoted, I pointed out that I am specifically talking about initial or “live” viewing figures only. I even mentioned that repeat or subsequent viewing figures would take that number much higher. Perhaps even higher than the 30m you mentioned. 

Any implication on my part that “only” 30m people watched an episode around the world even when including repeat or subsequent viewing were not intentional. Perhaps I worded it wrongly. But this all started because someone said 1 billion people would watch this live on opening around the world. My point in posting all these numbers were in that context. To show that that is absurd.