Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It is just plain asinine to create some kind of feud between "Jimbo" and the Mouse when none apparently exists.

It also shows an incredible ignorance of the way the film business operates. but that is to be expected.

With this labbadabbadubdub cements himself as the poster who knows the least on the entire board. 

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Honestly, these are movies to me. Not a religion, like Cameron and his films are to you folks.

Religions rely on faith. My belief in Jim Cameron is based solely on his many well documented and evidenced achievements. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Exactly. Cameron fans have more than enough to be proud of. I'll freely admit that both Titanic and Avatar had the two most impressive blockbuster box office runs of all time worldwide,. Until a movie reaches well over $3B worldwide, nothing can compete with those runs pound for pound.

So really, why do they care so much if Endgame passes Avatar? Why the need to put down the MCU? Not like I frankly give a shit, but it is curious. I give a shit insofar as it affects the discourse here in a negative way. Most people here end up just hating them and wanting to argue back and you lose all semblance of intelligent discussion (even though Cameron fans for the most part love to post with this ironic air of elitism, intelligence and wit). It's mostly drivel, sadly, but you can tell them it makes them feel better on the internet.

The MCU offers nothing and pushes no boundaries, I dislike how manufactured they feel. Checkbox studio first cinema. Notice all big directors turn down the jobs because they will lack creative control.

Atleast you understand what our prestigious purple user doesn't, kinda hard to take the guy seriously right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Permanent Magnet said:

Idk really, I love JC and appreciate all his movies, even Avatar which I find to be one of his weakest movies is very good movie overall, but some of Cameron fans seem to be pretty pretty defensive and on the same time they like to attack many mega franchises that are doing well.

EG passing Avatar is not the end of the world, records will eventually get broken, if Avatar 2,3,5 or whatever breaks it then it's great, another movie will come in the next 10-20 years to break it again, not Cameron nor MCU will reclaim this spot forever anyway

Besides JC held that spot for 25 year, that is an incredible achievement that won't be replicated anytime soon, Time to let another movie shine.

Avatar is the first Cameron film I did not find to be excellent, it only rating a pretty good .

And for one man to hold the 1 and 2 spots on the box office list for so long is incredible. Even Spielberg never achieved that.

Looks as though my prediction that Avatar would be taken down by a film no one was expecting to do it is going to be wrong, though.

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Pretty much. Cameron fanboys like to paint a picture of their boy as this lone ranger who conquers the world all on his own. It's so weird. He has achieved so much, even outside of film, so why create narratives that don't make any sense?

I also have real problems with the way the equte box office success with artistic merit. That is crap.

Without getting into a debate about Avatar's artistic merit, point is if it's a good movie, it would be a good movie regardless of how much money it made. I can name a number of films now considered to be great that were failures at the box office when they first came out.  "Citizen Kane" and "Blade Runner" come to mind immediately.

And I could name some pretty weak or out and out bad films that were big box office hits;The 2010 "Alice" anybody?

"So and So made a lot of money therefore it's a great film" is a crap argument. And, although they don's say so in so many words, the Cameron fanboys make it all the time.

And I don't think any Human Being in history has all the virtues and the infalliblity that Cameron has in the eyes of his worshippers.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

With this labbadabbadubdub cements himself as the poster who knows the least on the entire board. 

Religions rely on faith. My belief in Jim Cameron is based solely on his many well documented and evidenced achievements. 

Let's be real, you don't just have a belief in Jim. It doesn't stop there. You devote way more to him than belief.

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The MCU offers nothing and pushes no boundaries, I dislike how manufactured they feel. Checkbox studio first cinema. Notice all big directors turn down the jobs because they will lack creative control.

Atleast you understand what our prestigious purple user doesn't, kinda hard to take the guy seriously right now.

The MCU pushed boundaries in the industry by pretty much inventing an entirely new medium: the cinematic universe. Maybe the artistic merit of the films aren't up to par with other films, but millions of people around the world don't give a crap. The genuine love for the characters and the world around the world is worth far more than artistic merit. MCU directors will still get their chance to do their own smaller, more artistic films.

Once more Avatar movies come out, we'll see if the love for its characters measures up. I have a feeling it won't. Not even close.

Edited by JB33

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The MCU pushed boundaries in the industry by pretty much inventing an entirely new medium: the cinematic universe. Maybe the artistic merit of the films aren't up to par with other films, but millions of people around the world don't give a crap. The genuine love for the characters and the world around the world is worth far more than artistic merit. MCU directors will still get their chance to do their own smaller, more artistic films.

Once more Avatar movies come out, we'll see if the love for its characters measures up. I have a feeling it won't. Not even close.

No point to continue the conversation with Cameron fanboys, while some can have intellectual discussion, others are just fanboying to JC to the point of hysterical laughing.

Specially iron Jimbo, but whatever time to end this argument now I think.

Edited by Permanent Magnet

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Let's be real, you don't just have a belief in Jim. It doesn't stop there. You devote way more to him than belief.

Thanks for telling me what I think, you join other psychic luminaries of the board. 

4 minutes ago, Permanent Magnet said:

while some can have intellectual discussion

The three or so people in this thread who are defending the MCU seem to have ESL, it is disconcerting to see 'arguments' of this type in any medium. I would never call it intellectual on any level though. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JB33 said:

an entirely new medium: the cinematic universe

You know I kind of enjoy some of the MCU movies, but this whole "cinematic universe" thing is massively overrated. It's just called a franchise, and there are many other long running franchises, whether it is TV shows or movies or whatever. People act like this "connected" universe is some kind of grand achievement, but see the great thing about comicbook movies is that nothing needs to actually make sense and they can still make it work. Paint yourself in a corner? Time travel it is! What else? We got magic stones! Talking racoons! Demi-gods! You really can just can make it up as you go along

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 2

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Thanks for telling me what I think, you join other psychic luminaries of the board. 

The three or so people in this thread who are defending the MCU seem to have ESL, it is disconcerting to see 'arguments' of this type in any medium. I would never call it intellectual on any level though. 

Yours and IronJimbo's posting style and history makes you pretty transparent. Unless of course, like I've suggested several times before, you're 100% a caricature or a parody. 

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

after fudging disney (the biggest film studio of all time) are going to hold Jim's record for like 6 months? good job

Jim's had it for 22 years and will get it back with the 10 year anniversy Avatar re-release

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Funny how it takes two mega corps to momentarly take down one man. Even that is only possible because that one man has been resting for 10 years.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

It's sad enough that Disney put everything they got into this but for them to enlist the help of another mega Corp aswell? Despicable

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Russo Brothers Avengers: Fudge Game

Don't know why they didn't go with this tbh 😂

45 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Lets just ignore that the global market is 40% bigger huh..

40 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If I were a fan of the MCU I'd feel a little short changed over how this entire thing went down. Fudging of numbers, hardly breaking past it. Although it seems that much of this celebration is more to do with knocking Jim off the top than them actually being happy about the apparent success of their movie. It gives the entire thing a strangely hollow feeling, which I suppose is quite apt given the subject. 

Image result for crying behind mask pic

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Alexdube said:

You know I kind of enjoy some of the MCU movies, but this whole "cinematic universe" thing is massively overrated. It's just a called a franchise, and there are many other long running franchises, whether it is TV shows or movies or whatever. People act like this "connected" universe is some kind of grand achievement, but see the great thing about comicbook movies is that nothing needs to actually make sense and they can still make it work. Paint yourself in a corner? Time travel it is! What else? We got magic stones! Talking racoons! Demi-gods! You really can just can make it up as you go along

It is a big achievement because it's far more difficult to achieve than one would think, and it gets all the more difficult with each and every movie that's added.

Perhaps the idea isn't too complicated or revolutionary, but actually doing it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alexdube said:

You know I kind of enjoy some of the MCU movies, but this whole "cinematic universe" thing is massively overrated. It's just called a franchise, and there are many other long running franchises, whether it is TV shows or movies or whatever. People act like this "connected" universe is some kind of grand achievement, but see the great thing about comicbook movies is that nothing needs to actually make sense and they can still make it work. Paint yourself in a corner? Time travel it is! What else? We got magic stones! Talking racoons! Demi-gods! You really can just can make it up as you go along

It's basically a very high budget TV show, if that's all a connected universe requires. Hardly novel in that sense. 

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Yours and IronJimbo's posting style and history makes you pretty transparent. Unless of course, like I've suggested several times before, you're 100% a caricature or a parody. 

A caricature of what exactly? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's basically a very high budget TV show, if that's all a connected universe requires. Hardly novel in that sense. 

A caricature of what exactly? 

Other super-fans in general, whether in cinema, sports or whatever. This whole charade of worshipping and posting/agreeing with the most ludicrous stuff makes me wonder....

Then again, maybe I'm giving you guys too much credit.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It is a big achievement because it's far more difficult to achieve than one would think, and it gets all the more difficult with each and every movie that's added.

Perhaps the idea isn't too complicated or revolutionary, but actually doing it is.

The writing room does a great job of making sure the continuity makes sense. I also appreciate that while the movies do tie in together, many are separate enough that I can pick and choose which to go see in theaters and not feel completely lost for the big team-up films. As for the Endgame v. Avatar nonsense, a win's a win, guys.

Edited by stealthyfrog

8 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Image result for crying behind mask pic

I can't wait to see all the losers who will post this thing in his congratulatory message to Endgame like they did with Titanic. As if the guy who has 700mn net worth, Oscars up the ass, a beautiful family, one of the most successful careers of all time as a director will be crying over this. Yeah you sure showed him kid!

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Other super-fans in general, whether in cinema, sports or whatever. This whole charade of worshipping and posting/agreeing with the most ludicrous stuff makes me wonder....

Then again, maybe I'm giving you guys too much credit.

I find the concept of caricaturing something already characterized by excessive zeal difficult to understand. How exactly would one even begin to do that? You're making even less sense now than when you were before JB. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Well yeah, there's definitely a challenge in maintaining interest, like any franchise. I agree that there is a degree of complexity, but I wouldn't call it revolutionary 

15 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yours and IronJimbo's posting style and history makes you pretty transparent. Unless of course, like I've suggested several times before, you're 100% a caricature or a parody

Oh they definitely are which is why I put them all on ignore. 😛

Much easier to get through some threads. Even better, without them purposely trying to get the threads they don't like closed

And I love almost all Cameron's films.  Heck I have 4 versions of Titanic from VHS to two dvd sets to the special box version that looks like part of the boat in blu ray.   Multiple Terminator versions 1 and 2.  True Lies, Aliens, heck I like The Abyss when most dump on it.  I felt Avatar was subpar for him. I saw it in 3d in the theater and on blu ray.  I don't feel bad for saying that i don't like it.  It isn't garbage but I have zero reason to see it again.  I tried twice and it didn't work for me either time. 

I'm sure I'll give the sequel a chance at some point but I won't be rushing out to see it.

• Like 3