Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Maybe all of the Cameron 'stans were sock puppets of one person. Anyone thought of that?

Back when I ran my own forums, there were always a few protean posters who would switch between multiple identities to troll. A couple of them worked in large offices and would use their coworkers' computers to get around banning. One person worked for the Massachusetts state government and the other for a tech company in the Midwest. They were only persuaded to stop trolling when I tracked their IPs, posted logs of their troll posts and threatened to contact their employers' internet service providers/IT departments. The racism and constant explicit bestiality references called for drastic measures.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 7
  • ...wtf 2

4 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Maybe all of the Cameron 'stans were sock puppets of one person. Anyone thought of that?

Admin of another forum hat: ON

While folks can try to mask "posting styles" for a while, overtime the "tells" rack up.  And while some folks are better at masking their "tells" more than others, sooner or later enough slips happen to be able to lay down the hammer.  IF folks are looking for various posting quirks, tics, and whatnot.  

That's setting aside various tricks that Admins such as this place may or may not have at their disposal.

Admin of another forum hat: OFF

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Back when I ran my own forums, there were always a few protean posters who would switch between multiple identities to troll. A couple of them worked in large offices and would use their coworkers' computers to get around banning. One person worked for the Massachusetts state government and the other for a tech company in the Midwest. They were only persuaded to stop trolling when I tracked their IPs, posted logs of their troll posts and threatened to contact their employers' internet service providers/IT departments. The racism and constant explicit bestiality references called for drastic measures.

Wow. That's nuts that some "adults" are that immature.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Ok guys I’m going to give you guys the serious side of IronJimbo today.

Due to the Avatar thread being for Avatar I've decided to post this here.

If I have to give you a word for how I’m feeling right now it is shocked. I feel betrayed by JCS would fool even his Cameron friends – not only that he has managed to discredit us by doing something so despicable as having an alt account. From this day onward I disavow JamesCameronScholar, although he was hilarious, knocked people down a few pegs and was the one of the smartest posters on this site – it’s apparent that intelligence came with some mental health issues. JCS if you’re reading this, as you would so aptly say, seek mental help and I mean that because you are my friend.

To make ammends for my mistakes I’ve decided it was my duty as a member of this community to do some investigative work myself. I’ve managed to categorise BOT accounts into likelihood of being a JCS Alt.

possible

top candidates

could be but irrelavent so not worth investigating

I thought I rated more highly than a possible 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well, I hear they're discussing if he'll be suspended or not.

And yes he did buy a gold account.

Not surprising if JCS isn't banned. Some people can do or say anything they want here and skate on by. BOT is a bit like Animal Farm in that regard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Talkie said:

Not surprising if JCS isn't banned. Some people can do or say anything they want here and skate on by. BOT is a bit like Animal Farm in that regard.

If some fancy London eccentric rich guy want to finance this message board creating many persona to play with like some strange murder mystery diner party, I would say let him do it (who care ?), but I would ask him to be more subtitle-better at it.

• Haha 4
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Admin of another forum hat: ON

While folks can try to mask "posting styles" for a while, overtime the "tells" rack up.  And while some folks are better at masking their "tells" more than others, sooner or later enough slips happen to be able to lay down the hammer.  IF folks are looking for various posting quirks, tics, and whatnot.  

That's setting aside various tricks that Admins such as this place may or may not have at their disposal.

Admin of another forum hat: OFF

This is very true. It is all but impossible for a person to successfully hide all of their writing habits for a long period of time. The true style and persona always breaks through eventually, no matter how hard they try to disguise themselves. That is why most people who create alt accounts resort to using bad grammar and/or pretend that English is their second language. It seems like perfect cover to the troll, particularly if they are good writers. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Well they don't know how long he's going to be gone. Right now he can't post anything, so there's that.

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If some fancy London eccentric rich guy want to finance this message board creating many persona to play with like some strange murder mystery diner party, I would say let him do it (who care ?), but I would ask him to be more subtitle-better at it.

He's supposedly an American expat too lol.

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

He's supposedly an American expat too lol.

Allegedly owned/managed a theater and played the financial markets, from what I understand.

===

As for my thoughts on being suspended for having a dupe, I don't think the dupe per se was the issue.  It was manipulating various Top 100/Top 50 lists that various forum members put a lot of time and effort into.  I didn't even realize at first that's how this all first came out.

That to me is far worse than just creating a couple of puppets to talk to each other.  Like, whatever.  I've seen worse in my time. Up to forums whether or not to ban the practice.

But to manipulate a Community Top 100 list?  That's... Yeah, no.  

Yes, I think I'll just leave it at that:  No... Just, no.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

This doesn't seem like the smartest idea

To the mods sure I'm not worried. I won't just post it here for all to see. I don't make alt accounts. That seems crazy to me.

55 minutes ago, Alli said:

so JCS made a second account? why is it that bad?

It allows him to flood a forum with his posts?

There are good and valid reasons, why on most forums getting caught running a sockpuppet earns an automatic death penalty.

29 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Wow. That's nuts that some "adults" are that immature.

The funny thing about the situation is that the people trolling those forums were usually older women, although several were men who targeted us because most of the posters were female. They were soap opera forums, but soap fans are just as vicious flame-warriors as any other subset of fans. Maybe more so. There were death threats aimed at both fans and stars by unhinged people, over things as trivial as criticism of costumes or ships. One woman threatened an actress at a fan gathering for "stealing" the male half of her favorite couple. And that was par for the course.

It's surreal to know that some grandma posted that she was going to drive a thousand miles to shoot someone for calling Erica Kane a bitch on the Internet. One of my friends bought guns because the granny punishers posted his address and assured him that when he heard the shots it would be too late. Those women pioneered doxxing fifteen years ago. They had my address, too, from web hosting records, and some of them said they wanted me dead. That was some scary shit at times.

• Astonished 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 5