Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Posted (edited)

I don't think the "#1 film of all time" moniker will belong to an original film or a franchise-starting film ever again. But kudos to Avatar for being able to hold onto #1 for nine and a half years. Something was going to beat it sooner or later.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

Nah, diarrhea. Yet still probably doing better than your mouth. 😒

I never had a horse in this race, although I had some fun poking people that did. I said Endgame would pass Avatar ever since the re-issue was announced.

I'm just stating things as I see them.

you really seem to be butthurt

the movie became the highest grosser of all time and needed 1 re-release, Avatar also had one (yes it already broke the record at the time) but still, all it took EG is re-expansion to close those 20-25M gap

• Thanks 2

Bringing this over from then SDCC thread:

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

TAKE NOTE BOT. Kevin was Super GRACIOUS about this. Said very nice things about James Cameron and said “when he releases another movie he will probably take it back. But for now; Avengers is the biggest movie of all time”

• Like 6

Maybe Avatar losing #1 will finally get Cameron Stans to focus on Titanic again instead. By far the more impressive performance (and of course much crazier than Endgame).

• Like 6

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

Bringing this over from then SDCC thread:

tell this to Cameron fans, who will never get over their arrogance.

• Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 2

3 minutes ago, Permanent Magnet said:

you really seem to be butthurt

the movie became the highest grosser of all time and needed 1 re-release, Avatar also had one (yes it already broke the record at the time) but still, all it took EG is re-expansion to close those 20-25M gap

I think I'm allowed to both be happy for Endgame to hold the record AND think the re-issue was an unfortunate way to achieve the record that made them lose good faith. (which they have plenty of, so they can afford it, but still)

Even now I still find their decision on clawing at the #1 a bit puzzling. But they have the best marketing team, so they must know what they're doing.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I'll say it right now. I hope Avatar 2 breaks the 3B barrier. Avatar stans will be giant assholes about it but I don't care. Why? I want Avatar 3/4/5 to actually happen before Cameron dies and he takes 10 years a damn film.

If he dies then lightstorm sells rights to Disney and they sign Peyton Reed or someone like that to direct :sparta:

• ...wtf 1

What makes you think Disney isn't developing an AI to absorb James Cameron's essence to make Avatars until the end of time?

:sparta:

Geniuses often prophesize their fate and that of their legacy in their own work.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Congratulations, Fudgegame! lqOqDmS.png

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Congratulations, Fudgegame! lqOqDmS.png

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d3414303937387659

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

That said, even if I don't agree with a lot of what @NCsoft said, I have to hand it to him for at least showing up here. The rest of the Jim gang is predictably silent.

I got to get my 8 hours

Wake up to loads of mentions... Good to see Disney had no shame and didnt bother hiding the fudge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Not Cool 1

Oh!  Another thing from the Marvel Panel At 2019 SDCC. When taking about Avengers going over Avatar, Feige DID acknowledge that “adjusted for inflation Avatar is still ahead”. It was SUUUUPER Adorable and NERDY. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

I think I'm allowed to both be happy for Endgame to hold the record AND think the re-issue was an unfortunate way to achieve the record that made them lose good faith. (which they have plenty of, so they can afford it, but still)

Even now I still find their decision on clawing at the #1 a bit puzzling. But they have the best marketing team, so they must know what they're doing.

It was more like an expansion with a little extra added at the end since it was still playing in theaters.

I see we’re in the denial stage right now. Kind of pitiful, but people gonna be how people gonna be.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Oh!  Another thing from the Marvel Panel At 2019 SDCC. When taking about Avengers going over Avatar, Feige DID acknowledge that “adjusted for inflation Avatar is still ahead”. It was SUUUUPER Adorable and NERDY. 

Reading some of his comments actually did make me appreciate him a bit more, not just this one, but also the one a while ago about being overjoyed that Cameron likes these MCU films (context being Jim was emphasizing there are other stories, apart of superhero films, to tell).

I'll be the first to correct Kevin: it's actually not inflation that makes Avatar "ahead", it's mostly market expansion,:lol::lol: inflation may or may not cancel out exchange rate differences, but global expansion is very real. 

Edited by NCsoft

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I don't think the "#1 film of all time" moniker will belong to an original film or a franchise-starting film ever again. But kudos to Avatar for being able to hold onto #1 for nine and a half years. Something was going to beat it sooner or later.

You're probably right about that, Avatar is the end of a long and glorious era, started with Birth of a Nation. Well at least for now, until re-release.

If not for Avatar 2's existence, I would probably think that Endgame keeps this record for a while, since original films don't break out anymore, and no franchise commands as much attention as MCU right now. Avatar 2 is also a sequel so that won't buck the trend.

Someone did a thought exercise about this a while ago which I thought was interesting, if not for the Cameron two films, the highest grossing film worldwide would have been handed over to a sequel when TPM (1999) surpasses Jurassic Park (1993), and from that point on, the highest grossing films worldwide would have changed hands many mores times (TPM - HP1- LOTR3 - HP8 - Avengers - JW - TFA - EG), all but one (HP1) are sequels. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, NCsoft said:

That's an interesting way to spin it, let me explain it in proper context:

When Avatar (in 2009) leaped ahead of Titanic's worldwide record by 900M+ worldwide, or increase the all time record by 50%, did it need any "help"? It's re-release was a victory lap and that they felt it left more money on the table. That's what I meant by in a true record breaking fashion, by a groundbreaking film. It's not that I don't acknowledge Endgame's record, it's just that I wished it was a groundbreaking film, breaking the record by a significant margin, as the Cameron duo films did, or many films before Titanic (JP, ET, and Star Wars). What ended up happening, is that Endgame clearly couldn't do it in its natural run, so had to rely to a last minute rushed half baked "re-release" using "Blu-ray extra" material, being dragged to the point of slowly limping over Avatar, for the first time ever, a historical worldwide record is broken in this fashion, not to mention we're talking about a global market that is 40% larger than 2009. So under this circumstances,  you can congratulate all you want, I just don't feel like doing that personally. "worth congratulating or not" is a personal opinion, and this is mine. But I did acknowledge its very impressive run, obviously, you've probably seen it many times.

As for Avatar re-release, of course it would be a great thing. Avatar was a film visual masterpiece, and the world which Jim created inspired many back in 2009, but due to market realities (China is now 8 times bigger in admission, for example), tens of millions of people missed out on seeing it in theaters, bringing it back before the sequels (preferably for its 10 year anniversary) would be the most natural thing, as there is actually raw demand for it, especially in Asia markets. Bringing it back with enhanced visuals would be great, just like Titanic 3D in 2012. This is a cheaper move than a half baked re-release with blu-ray extras? That's an unique logic exclusively from you.

All I meant is that it would be cheap because it would be re-releasing yet again. I agree that Avatar’s Special Edition had leaps and bounds more effort than Endgame’s new content. I actually would like to see it again in theaters and am fine with it taking back the title, I just thought your idea of not congratulating Endgame because of its new version to get over Avatar was not fair. Especially when advocating for another Avatar re-release to take it back.

Edited by Doctor Stark

Finally! Massive congratulations to Disney and Marvel for finally toppling Jim. No easy feat!

This is a huge win for the movie industry in general. I was tiring of bespoke single vision movies and think that more interconncted universes and committee based film making are honestly better for those on the ground to have their voices heard.

I'm just glad Disney did it fair and square in the end. Enjoy the victory MCU fans, it's tough at the top!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

We need the Gone with the Wind fan club to dispute this! #TheRealKing. Feige was very gracious though, could not have handled it better.

Edited by Doctor Stark
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I see we’re in the denial stage right now. Kind of pitiful, but people gonna be how people gonna be.

Denying what?

Yes Avengers:FG finally pased Avatar, but remember it was supposed to pass it 20 times already. I thought Avatar was going to be done and dusted a couple months ago, the fact Disney had to fudge it actually pretty funny as I thought it was going to do it on it's own two feet.

Time at #1:

Jim: 22 years

Disney's Marvel Studios: 1 day

If Avatar is re-released this christmas as a 10 year anniversary then we'll get to see a new record.

Least time above 0 spent at WW #1, which would be fitting for a film that had to fudge it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Not Cool 2