Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not expecting Matt Reeves to make a Batman movie where anything stands out about it. The guy has no style or vision, and his movies are all pretty disposable and forgettable. The only thing I even remember about that last Planet of the Apes movie is the Coca Cola product placement. 

He's no *checks notes* Jon Watts

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not expecting Matt Reeves to make a Batman movie where anything stands out about it. The guy has no style or vision, and his movies are all pretty disposable and forgettable. The only thing I even remember about that last Planet of the Apes movie is the Coca Cola product placement. 

Pretentious as hell too. The last two Planet of the Apes films are so up their own asses and try too hard to be serious (when the script is as generic as it gets). I at least enjoyed Rise because it knew what it was.

8 hours ago, HeadShot said:

Black Panther? Aka. the biggest cultural event of 2017.  

X-men

FF

Deadpool

Captain Marvel 

GOTG 3

Besides why are you talking about this when Avatar doesn't even have one memorable character. Stick to your lane. 

What the fuck is a cultural event, sounds ridiculous when talking box office.

That film didn't even make 0.5A

XMAN already sullied

FF... LOL

Captain Marvel.. Your new main hero 😂

I think maybe you took a HeadShot for real or have never seen Avatar (a film not based on preexisting material)

All and all, go back to reddit

26 minutes ago, TMP said:

He's no *checks notes* Jon Watts

Watts knows how to make a fresh, entertaining movie and I will take that any day over many film nerd favorites. 

As for Reeves, I'd like to think I know a pretentious movie when I see it and I wouldn't describe his Apes movies as such. Maybe there should have been more levity but the serious tone never felt try hard to me. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That film didn't even make 0.5EG

XMAN already sullied

FF... LOL

I think maybe you took a HeadShot for real or have never seen Avatar (a film not based on preexisting material)

FTFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Spiderman got dusted again this time for good.

A massive blow for the MCU - the most popular comic book character of all time is gone.

A massive blow to the cinematic universe that now has X-Men, FF, Blade, Deadpool, etc and produced billion dollar movies before Spider-Man even showed up. Yes, what a massive blow. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pretentious as hell too. The last two Planet of the Apes films are so up their own asses and try too hard to be serious (when the script is as generic as it gets). I at least enjoyed Rise because it knew what it was.

Pretentious? Come on. Just because a movie tries to do something different like opening purely with sign language for the first 10 or so minutes doesn't make it pretentious. It's cool that he took chances.

Also, Cloverfield fucking rules. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Fern Gully, Pocahontas, Dancing with the Wolves, Aliens (mech suit)... yeah...

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Pretentious? Come on. Just because a movie tries to do something different like opening purely with sign language for the first 10 or so minutes doesn't make it pretentious. It's cool that he took chances.

Also, Cloverfield fucking rules. 

No, I'm fine with using sign language and isn't the reason I call the Reeves movies pretentious. I think the movies are pretentious because he tries to make his movies feel like some Cormac McCarthy adaptation (in terms of tone) when the scripts are as generic as they get. And I can say much about the directing either. The visuals are muddy and the shots are mostly uninspired (the tank shot in Dawn was great and I think there was a shot in War I really liked).

And I agree Cloverfield rules but I attribute that mostly to Drew Goddard.

3 hours ago, Sanderson said:

FTFY

That's true aswell, not even half of FG

3 hours ago, JimiQ said:

Fern Gully, Pocahontas, Dancing with the Wolves, Aliens (mech suit)... yeah...

Hi reddit.

Also the aliens mech suit.. You know Jim designs his vehicles as if they could work on reality, they're going to be similar in design.

Edited by IronJimbo

On 8/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, Kjtc said:

Pointing to a negative rant by someone who isn’t an alt right troll does not disqualify the fact that The Last Jedi was bombed by alt right trolls.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/7/18254548/film-review-sites-captain-marvel-bombing-changes-rotten-tomatoes-letterboxd

They needed even to adjust twice their system based on what happened with the CM movie, as they now show the audience ratings split up into verified ticket buys too

They had at least once deleted ~ 50000 ratings for CM already and its audience rating count is still way higher than usual in 2019. The participation went down down down by the GA the last few years, in my POV since it got so clear how it gets manipulated, and death threats.... made the news. GA reacts  usually with ~ taking aback = less using it

On 8/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, Warmaster506 said:

Of course trolls attacked it but plenty of normal  people did not like the Last Jedi.  

It deserves the criticism. 

Every movie has people who like or dislike it, its a question of rating it once or rating it 1000x to 'strengthen' its own POV

SW in especial had  always very  loud and very different POVs stating  fans, that was even in the '80 already clear (I was an adult then and already since years into BO too)

On 8/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, LaughingEvans said:

In what way is it considered common sense to deflect from a specific point and instead project political views in order to dismiss said point?

If that's considered common sense in the states, then no wonder why it's such a dumpster fire.

Its always a question of the formulations, if its clear its e.g. over the top, angst over females as leads and whatnot, ... = nothing to do with a movies strengths and problems at all.

Fan based disappointments for story details vs craftsmanship, Zeitgeist vs craftsmanship, unrest vs craftsmanship and so on

On 8/18/2019 at 5:26 PM, WittyUsername said:

A 70% really isn’t that low. That means that much more than half the critics liked the movie. I’m not subscribing to the “Disney buys critics” conspiracy, but Solo is not an example of a poorly received Disney movie. 

Especially in the reviewer part counts:

the % says nothing about the quality of a movie, its rating does.

Its low for a 'good' SW movie = 6.41/10

% is only for if its ~ enjoyable = it is, if going in without any expectations

Not the best movie ever by far, but its not a bad movie neither.

Without all the event movie expectations without all the hysteria around it,... its a nice movie to watch at a rainy Sunday afternoon in my POV.

Its a half point to more than a full point less than the better SW movies, equal to SW 2 and better than SW 1 managed to get.

20 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I should point out that the complaints alleged here have nothing to do with box office numbers. 

Thank You for pointing that out.

What 'some' Disney people did in 3 states for tax evation in connection to the resorts... not even the same department, no connection to BO details in general and so on...

But people love to jump on things that furthers their bias

Btw, still a bad thing with maybe huge consequences.

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Not surprised to hear about the fudging allegations against Disney. I have always been baffled by some box office numbers for some of their movies. Some movies were reaching billions while I never have met anyone who's seen or even hyped them, except for the Disney fanboys online of course. Disappointed but not surprised.

see one post above, you seem to be one of those.... again.

In general about the Sony Disney negotiations:

if Feige is producing, Disney gets 1 movie less per year out of him, as the pre-Sony announcements were to increase to 3-4 movies a year, and they need to build up the next ~ wave out of a 'trough of the sea' they need more income to soften the blow. So the want to pay 50% of the production and get the matching share?

I do understand Sony not wanting that, but Rothman is not to applaud for that, he never was a long term planer / thinker.

He is a bully, had a long list of complaints of misconduct, so long FOX got rid of him. FOX usually ignores complains if a person makes enough money..... The one I am sad about is Tom Holland, he seems like the guy who wont like to work with a bully on set.

Rothman has no respect at all for hired talents, including the detail I mostly use to show what I mean: he ordered to change a complete set colour scheme over the weekend without even informing the director and did more to influence the movies, the result was not good anymore (BO bomb), the director got the blame.

Not meant as an example for him being a bully, but for how he, as a money man, thinks he knows better than an Oscar winner.

Question:

did someone move a discussion or two into fanwars or did I accidental click on it? I thought I started to read up in another thread???

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

LOL, Planet of the Apes pretending to be serious, how dumb is that! Its just movies about monkeys fighting each other 😂🙂🙂

8 minutes ago, Hades said:

Recent Planet of the Apes Trilogy...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Recent Star Wars films...the Whole MCU..Most blockbusters today.... 

Ahhh, there are you coming from, interesting POV, in especial the amount of arroes 😉

Why has something to be above something else all the time if its about art or entertainment or something else that is not e.g. a sport event?

Good, very good, weak, bad instalments, in the sum usually positive enough to merit additional parts or sub-series

37 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Its always a question of the formulations, if its clear its e.g. over the top, angst over females as leads and whatnot, ... = nothing to do with a movies strengths and problems at all.

Fan based disappointments for story details vs craftsmanship, Zeitgeist vs craftsmanship, unrest vs craftsmanship and so on

Sure, it would be legit if it was not projected. If it is angst over female leads why is this not the case over Beatrix Kiddo/Sarah Connor/Ripley/Furiosa/Leia/BW et cetera? The point is always invoked/projected when the person defending the movie has 0 arguments and decides to attack the character of the person they disagree with.

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

That film didn't even make 0.5A

XMAN already sullied

FF... LOL

A movie can be a cultural event. Don't tell me I have to explain a basic concept like this to you, little one? Why are you still using Avatar as the standard? Get with the times. The new king is End Game. Also 1.3 billion for Black Panther makes it the highest grossing solo movie of all time. MORE than Iron Man, Captain America and Spider-Man. 

Kevin will fix re-pair the X-men like he did with Spider-Man. 

FF are huge characters that will be done right finally

Captain Marvel grossed 1.1 billion. Plenty people like her.

A movie being original doesn't mean it can't have memorable characters. No one is excited to revisit Jackie Sulley or whatever his name was. 

13 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Sure, it would be legit if it was not projected. If it is angst over female leads why is this not the case over Beatrix Kiddo/Sarah Connor/Ripley/Furiosa/Leia/BW et cetera? The point is always invoked/projected when the person defending the movie has 0 arguments and decides to attack the character of the person they disagree with.

Do you really belive an Alien released in 2019 wouldn't get the same kind of reactions?

I feel in the '90 the anti female reactions were less bad than today - by far. Me being the only female appearing on a work-site in the '80 had far less reactions than today (no matter if positive or negative), even if today I wouldn't be the only one. Especially as I was the boss of the department then (I work nowadays as the main job for a school, but still have contacts).

Beside that, I said explicit its a question of formulation, the style tells a lot too often already.

23 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Um because this whole Anti-SJW movement didn't exist back then. So many movies and tv-shows from the 90s and the 00s have strong female lead characters and no one complained. 

Xena always said snidely comments about men. She ended up with a woman. This would be hated on so much today.  

MV5BOTdkYjA4YzAtMjNiZS00OTgyLTg5Y2ItNGIw

same with buffy

MV5BY2MwOGIyZGYtNzgxZC00N2Q5LTllYjItM2U4