Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

51 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol at making fun of the Spider-Man thing when DC fans have been doing the Snyder cut conspiracy shit for TWO WHOLE YEARS non stop. They haven't STOPPED shitting their diapers over that one. Now they've even expanded to Suicide Squad (which already had the extended cut released) and to Dark Phoenix (which they claim Disney reshot despite Disney not owning the movie till after they already reshot it).

Also oh look violent 8chan crew are already harassing people over Joker, what a shock that nobody saw coming.

For the record, many of the Snyder Cut enthusiasts have donated money to suicide prevention. 

52 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol at making fun of the Spider-Man thing when DC fans have been doing the Snyder cut conspiracy shit for TWO WHOLE YEARS non stop. They haven't STOPPED shitting their diapers over that one. Now they've even expanded to Suicide Squad (which already had the extended cut released) and to Dark Phoenix (which they claim Disney reshot despite Disney not owning the movie till after they already reshot it).

Also oh look violent 8chan crew are already harassing people over Joker, what a shock that nobody saw coming.

Some very evil DC fans...MCU fans are much better

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a28191240/avengers-endgame-lexi-rabe-morgan-stark-bullied-instagram/

:popcorn:

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It'd be more altruistic if they donated all of the money instead of keeping half for themselves but okay.

Wasn’t it more than half that was donated, while the remainder was for campaigning for the release of the so called Snyder Cut?

Edited by WittyUsername

I'm just reading some of the reviews for Joker and it's wild to see critics actually praising it for making a homicidal maniac sympathetic. Lmao. Definitely the new Fight Club. 

The Joker will always work best when we don't know why he does what he does. That's what makes him one of the best, most compelling villains in existence. This is why Heath's Joker remains superior. 

2 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm just reading some of the reviews for Joker and it's wild to see critics actually praising it for making a homicidal maniac sympathetic. Lmao. Definitely the new Fight Club. 

The Joker will always work best when we don't know why he does what he does. That's what makes him one of the best, most compelling villains in existence. This is why Heath's Joker remains superior. 

While I do agree that the Joker works best when you know almost nothing about him, I think that mostly applies to him when it comes to his dynamic with Batman. Not having Batman for him to work off of is already a massive change to the character, so as far as I’m concerned, it doesn’t matter what they decide to do with him in a stand-alone story. As far as I’m concerned, they can do whatever the hell they want in a situation like that. My only real concern is that I hope it doesn’t affect the comics or any future adaptations. 

As for the incel aspect, some people who’ve seen the film have said that it really isn’t some alt-right fantasy. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/02/incel-violence-joker-rightwing-film-joaquin-phoenix

22 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

While I do agree that the Joker works best when you know almost nothing about him, I think that mostly applies to him when it comes to his dynamic with Batman. Not having Batman for him to work off of is already a massive change to the character, so as far as I’m concerned, it doesn’t matter what they decide to do with him in a stand-alone story. As far as I’m concerned, they can do whatever the hell they want in a situation like that. My only real concern is that I hope it doesn’t affect the comics or any future adaptations. 

As for the incel aspect, some people who’ve seen the film have said that it really isn’t some alt-right fantasy. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/02/incel-violence-joker-rightwing-film-joaquin-phoenix

They can do what they want, of course, but sad backstory coupled with no Batman makes the character far less interesting to me. He really does start to resemble just another disturbed white guy who feels rejected by society and I have no interest in that narrative. 

Not that I'm an SJW by any means, but I will say to all you leftists pouncing on the Joker character and the film that he's not simply a disturbed white guy who feels rejected by society. Mental illness is obviously a huge part of the character. I'm not saying a psycho killer should suddenly be sympathetic, what I'm saying is don't turn this into another crusade against white men. It's tiresome. I would say that whatever the character of Arthur Fleck experiences at first (aka before he goes all homicidal) is VERY real and should be met with a degree of sympathy.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Black Panther didn't win any major categories.  It was nominated for a couple biggies but the wins were for original score,  costume design and production design which is great and well deserved.  

I don't believe the MCU has ever had an acting performance nominated for an Oscar.  I don't remember the MCU being nominated in any screenplay categories either. 

But they don't have to..    there's a difference between monetary success and accolades.  Some people want nothing but monetary success,   others want accolades to add on to their resume,   validating their achievements in their craft.  

Feige doesn't seem concerned about achievements and nobody says he has to be. It depends on who you are. Are you out to make money or are you out to gain recognition from your peers?  You can do both...   that's why I laugh at the notion of only money mattering...  athletes will always trade in a few dollars for a championship ring. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

So to put a bow on the discussion,  do I have hopes that the MCU will ever strive for more than popcorn fun?  No..  probably not.  They are extremely successful in that lane and I don't think they have the urge to switch things up. 

That's fine for them,..  they don't have to make a classic movie,  their goal is money.  As a moviegoer,  I think it's possible to do both but they aren't interested. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

That's fine for them,..  they don't have to make a classic movie,  their goal is money.  As a moviegoer,  I think it's possible to do both but they aren't interested. 

One. Avengers: Endgame says hi 

Two. It’s called the movie business. Every production company and studios goal is to make money. Even the ones who make those Real Movies. Those Classic Movies. Don’t act like what Marvel does is any different the rest of the industry just because they are better at it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Arthur/Joker is right, people are fucking awful these days, all those dumbass takes and freakouts from sjw crowd only prove that.

Holy shit, I should have realised you were one of those kind of guys earlier. Makes sense why you have been supporting this movie since day one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Black Panther didn't win any major categories.  It was nominated for a couple biggies but the wins were for original score,  costume design and production design which is great and well deserved.  

I don't believe the MCU has ever had an acting performance nominated for an Oscar.  I don't remember the MCU being nominated in any screenplay categories either. 

But they don't have to..    there's a difference between monetary success and accolades.  Some people want nothing but monetary success,   others want accolades to add on to their resume,   validating their achievements in their craft.  

Feige doesn't seem concerned about achievements and nobody says he has to be. It depends on who you are. Are you out to make money or are you out to gain recognition from your peers?  You can do both...   that's why I laugh at the notion of only money mattering...  athletes will always trade in a few dollars for a championship ring. 

Just because DC has 2 back-to-back critical wins doesn't mean they also didn't pump out Aquaman - the epitome of dumb, popcorn film-making.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Two. It’s called the movie business. Every production company and studios goal is to make money. Even the ones who make those Real Movies. Those Classic Movies. Don’t act like what Marvel does is any different the rest of the industry just because they are better at it. 

I am not sure how much the goal was money when they acquired A Hidden Life at that price tag or Tree of Life or people getting into the Silence business or Netflix putting 150-200m in The Irishman or 30-50M in Roma award budget.

Or at least it is playing some very long game, but this is one of the business for which money was often one of the smallest place in goals (relative to other business), egos/prestige for example play an high part, specially in the indie world what are the chance you have to go to the golden globes with a star at your table / how cool the project sound when you talk about the movie you are invested in at your next diner party is a big incentive and apparently why star attached is so much a big deal for those.

And better at it (at least in term of higher ROI, does make a production company different, they can become so good at it that the movie business by itself get seen has a bad use of capital, the franchise one that help parks/merch/sequels/video game/etc... becoming the only good use of money).

Putting it more simply, with all that transpired in the last 2 year's I really doubt that Miramax/The Weinstein company was always purely run with the only goal to return the most money to the investor, there is much more than that going on, I would also imagine to be the case at Marvel (not having bad days from fans on social media and when you go to events could be weighted more than pure profit for example, inclusivity measure is not necessarily purely driven by the bottom line, for those movies academy award probably mean nothing financially they still spend on them now that Perlmutter is gone, etc....).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Holy shit, I should have realised you were one of those kind of guys earlier. Makes sense why you have been supporting this movie since day one.

I've been supporting this movie because the script was strong and it's a great story, I don't care about politics. But you can realise whatever you want, you've been shitting on this movie since day one without any reasonable arguments, I know you're one of those who cry about "incels" and "bad white people". I don't support Arthur's actions, neither this movie, even most of the critics say that it doesn't side with him. People haven't seen the movie, but they already make brainless conclusions based on nothing. You can easily say that people are awful these days without reading/watching Joker, twitter itself is a great example. The final movie probably did its job, so that's why the worst people in modern society are freaking out, they completely missed the point without even seeing the movie.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

One. Avengers: Endgame says hi 

LMFAO  @ 'Endgame. '  

To your second point,  I said Feige doesn't have to care,  their lane is popcorn and it's widely successful.   But then there are people like Cuaron who excel at their craft and it's not all about money..  it's about the art. 

I can guess by reading your post that you have no appetite for art and that's fine,  you don't have to.  Nobody says you have to enjoy anything at the movies beyond popcorn productions. 

I respect a guy like Todd Phillips.  He already had hugely successful movies with modest budgets,  already had two of the highest grossing R-rated films domestically and then said "you know that's cool but I want to do more"  and now he's in the running at Venice.  Beautifully done. 

• Haha 2