Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well if we take a Fury Road or The Raid 1-2 has example of the best action movie of this century, I think it is almost objectively true that Avengers 3 part 1-2 was more narratively ambitious.

Narratively ambitious? If we are talking purely story, I guess having a lot of characters (almost all of whom has no character development in the movies themselves) is a bit ambitious. I guess they have a large scale too. But even if we look at in that perspective, there are blockbusters like Cloud Atlas that have an ensemble cast and a large scale. But I don't see how it's more ambitious than something like Fury Road. Fury Road uses visual storytelling and action sequences to tell the story and develop the characters which makes it more ambitious than any action blockbuster maybe this century. And the fact that Miller was able to explore so much in what essentially was an extended chase sequence is way more impressive than any individual MCU movie.

Edited by lorddemaxus

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But even if we look at in that perspective, there are blockbusters like Cloud Atlas that have an ensemble cast and a large scale. But I don't see how it's more ambitious than something like Fury Road.

Yes I think I was using the narrative word incorrectly (or at least differently), like if it was just about the and then and then plot sequence that kind of excluded exposition of a world building and character study, I was certainly making a distinction between ambitious movie and narratively ambitious here, Fury road is one of the most ambitious movie of the 21th century, same for Gravity, but I would have not putted them in the narratively ambitious (probably because of my misunderstanding of the word)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It's hard to say it's not influential when every studio in Hollywood is now trying to ape the shared universe model they popularized.

Is that not more used in the past verb sense and done by now, with every studio failing at it ? And going back to the spin-off, prequel, sequel more classic model ? Is there even just one non Disney cinematic universe going on at the moment ?

A bit like people that tried to copy Titanic I am not sure how hard to reproduce success end up influential, versus easy to reproduce one.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

Yes I think I was using the narrative word incorrectly (or at least differently), like if it was just about the and then and then plot sequence that kind of excluded exposition of a world building and character study, I was certainly making a distinction between ambitious movie and narratively ambitious here, Fury road is one of the most ambitious movie of the 21th century, same for Gravity, but I would have not putted them in the narratively ambitious (probably because of my misunderstanding of the word)

If we are talking strictly plot elements, yes I agree but I don't really find that so impressive personally (and why I don't like Infinity War even if it was ambitious when it came to the plot). 

19 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ironjimbo you aren't even part of this conversation. You probably don't even know what movie I am talking about. Didn't know my Alita comments hurt you so much.

Also my clairvoyant mind (your words, not mine) says that you are gonna talk about how MCU is dumb and how everyone who likes Marvel is dumb. Or Disney BAD.

I think with Jimbo it's a case of any film franchise other then those James Cameron is involved in are BAD.

The Disney is BAD is really funny since Cameron is pretty much a partner with Disney now, like it or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

No one will be watching MCU movies 100 years from now.

These movies have no substance and will not age well.

You might be right, but I don't think people will be watching the Snyderverse movies either.....

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The shared universe model is dead outside of Marvel, which is for the best. 

I don't think it's dead, just dormant. Pretty sure in a couple of years DC will try it again. It's a good concept, problem is no one except for Marvel has really managed to pull it off;other studios did not have a Kevin Feige in charge.

4 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Maybe Iron Man?

Probably, there is an non 0 chance that being an early MCU movie will make you almost automatically a "classic"

Depend of the used definition, using that one:

Classic Films are often distinguished or unique works of cinema that have transcended time and trends, with indefinable quality. Classic films are often universal favorites that hold up after repeated rescreenings.

Classics are renowned films of first rank, reference points in film mythology, or films that have become a part of American cultural folklore. Who can argue with these classic examples and others below?

Having been able to transcend time is almost inherent to something being classified a classic, so for Black Panther and the newest Avengers it is a prediction and we will see in 2035-2040, but it is a very safe one, no movie that got that big have yet to not be classic, pretty much everything at 700m+ adjusted becomed classics:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I feel like all the above :

Avengers(2012)/Infinity War/Endgame

Black Panther

GOTG

became part of American culture and that Iron Man / First Avengers are reference points.

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The shared universe model is dead outside of Marvel, which is for the best. 

Not for the best. DC should have a shared universe and no this has nothing to do with wanting them to copy Marvel. Never getting a good JL movie or simply seeing any crossover at all would be sad as hell. Still amazed at the level of incompetence it took to botch it all so badly in the first place.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Hint, it rhymes with Car Tours.

Hum only think I can think that rhymes with that is Fantastic four...

that not the dark Universe, Amazing spider man universe, the King Arthur Universe, Robin Hood Universe, is it the name of the Kong vs Godzilla but really not sure it be called a movie universe yet.

Not surprising, considering it's the same company that donated millions to the Donald Trump 2016 presidential campaign, and forced the director of Iron Man 3 to reduce Rebecca Hall's character from main villain to a glorified cameo just because of her gender.

• Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Not surprising, considering it's the same company that donated millions to the Donald Trump 2016 presidential campaign, and forced the director of Iron Man 3 to reduce Rebecca Hall's character from main villain to a glorified cameo just because of her gender.

Pretty clear no one from Marvel told her this. Perhaps her agent or someone else close to her who she should have fired. Not that I would want to see her in a Marvel movie or any movie I would want to watch because that would be a big no. I don't get the appeal of her as an actress at all. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Explain Tessa Thompson then. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HeadShot said:

You said that MCU doesn't strive for more than Popcorn fun hence why they won't make a classic movie. Which is a redundant comment since plenty of classic blockbusters were nothing more than just that.  Also art is subjective. Eg. Infinity War and its fight scenes is ART to me and many other people - just like watching paint dry aka. The Joker is art to you. 

Are you Shivampa?