Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Undermine Joker's triumph? Lol. No point is, Joker is not some groundbreaking superhero movie. It's not offering anything new or different. Logan did dark and serious without this level of blatant awards season campaigning. But I understand why you feel the need to prop Joker.

Dismissing your silly argument is not tantamount to saying a movie is better or more important than another.  But going by your logic, I can now laugh at all the fanboys who fawn over Hans Simmer and claim that he should have multiple Oscars. 

I would respond, but "not offering anything new" and "Simmer" suggests to me that you are trolling me.

8 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

I would respond, but "not offering anything new" and "Simmer" suggests to me that you are trolling me.

Lol You sound more like the one who's trolling. 

(I will edit my post and correct the spelling of Zimmer's name.)

Edited by Ororo Munroe

52 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And the extreme fans of Non Comic Book Franchises can be just as toxic. You are seeing a real level of toxicity building between the Star Wars fans the Avatar/Cameron fans.

Even some of the studio (Disney, WB, etc) stans can display toxic behavior.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What a fandom win mean ?

What is the difference to say Denzel Washington fanbase and Jurassic Park fanbase here ?

A Denzel fan still acknowledges that Mr.Washington is one man. Frequently you may see comments like, "I'm so glad he/she won 'x' award!". The fan doesn't feel any inherent ownership of the win, why I don't know cause I've had this same thought when and actor/actress won while in something I liked. Perhaps because it is the inverse of the below. I'm sure you have as well.

Jurassic Park(insert franchise here) is a franchise you as the consumer actively participate in beyond the movie ticket. One might buy comics, novels, toys etc etc and therefore you feel like an active "owner" in the property and invested in its continued success. 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That’s basically what happened with Green Book. It’s probably the most controversial Best Picture winger since Crash. 

A lot of bad Oscar decisions get made becuase Oscar Voters seem more intent on sending some kind of "Message" then in actually rewarding merits as a film.

And then you have some real WTF decisions like "Shakespeare in Love" a pleasant, fun but not really great movie winning against "Saving Private Ryan" and "Elizabeth" two vastly better films.

1998 has got to be the year of the bad Oscar choices...

28 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Lol You sound more like the one who's trolling. 

(I will edit my post and correct the spelling of Zimmer's name.)

I'll just say, in my opinion, Joker takes on a character study about a mentally ill man to show the callousness of soicety. That is very new to CBMs. The fact that is dark and serious is an aspect of the movie, but it is not defined by it.

As for the blatant award campaigning, I mean it was invited to Venice. Phillips did not ask to be invited, they just were. Logan was never even up for discussion, as awesome it was.

Have a good day.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

I'll just say, in my opinion, Joker takes on a character study about a mentally ill man to show the callousness of soicety. That is very new to CBMs. The fact that is dark and serious is an aspect of the movie, but it is not defined by it.

As for the blatant award campaigning, I mean it was invited to Venice. Phillips did not ask to be invited, they just were. Logan was never even up for discussion, as awesome it was.

Have a good day.

Gee  just like a number of Martin Scorsese films...….

'Taxi Driver" "Raging Bull" 'King of Comedy".....

Edited by dudalb

15 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

It's not however nothing new to cinema in general. From Taxi Driver to Falling Down and Sling Blade.

I know. But the discussion was regarding comicbook movies.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Gee  just like a number of Martin Scorsese films...….

'Taxi Driver" "Raging Bull" 'King of Comedy".....

I know. But the discussion was regarding comicbook movies.

25 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

As for the blatant award campaigning, I mean it was invited to Venice. Phillips did not ask to be invited, they just were.

Source/what do you mean by that ? I am not sure how a director like that will get invited to a festival without them seeing the movie first, I am not sure how they would see the movie without having the distributor submit it first.

The festival received 1,500, 2,000 movies they pick some of them to get in competition, you have to pay a fee to get in there you do not get invited out of the blue no ?, https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/2019/regulations 

Invited has in the sense: after asked if he can compete to Venice, filled a subscription form, sent the movie and paid a fee received he then received an invitation to participate?

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Source/what do you mean by that ? I am not sure how a director like that will get invited to a festival without them seeing the movie first, I am not sure how they would see the movie without having the distributor submit it first.

The festival received 1,500, 2,000 movies they pick some of them to get in competition, you have to pay a fee to get in there you do not get invited out of the blue no ?, https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/2019/regulations 

Invited has in the sense: after asked if he can compete to Venice, filled a subscription form, sent the movie and paid a fee received he then received an invitation to participate?

"Phillips didn’t call the programming director of the Venice International Film Festival and ask for “Joker” to be in competition — they were simply invited and accepted."

In the Golden Lion acceptance speech, Phillips said a early cut was seen by an executive in WB Italy and she sent it to the director of the festival. Then the film was invited.

1 hour ago, The Chad DC said:

Have a good day.

Sorry but I'm not praising Phillips for simply making a CBM version of movies we've seen already. 

I did not say Phillips personally asked for anything. Obviously, the studio decides if a movie will get an awards campaign. 

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

Then your point loses all gravity on account of it being too niche, since it only applies to cape comic book movies. The concept is not groundbreaking for movies in or comic books.

Give this man a manual. What are you blabbering about? Character studies are new to CBMs get outta here.

1 hour ago, The Chad DC said:

In the Golden Lion acceptance speech, Phillips said a early cut was seen by an executive in WB Italy and she sent it to the director of the festival. Then the film was invited.

Well yes, that how festival work, the studio submit the movie, send copies and if the jury pick them they get in, Venice didn't sent an invitation out of the blue, it was after WB demanded one.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

And the extreme fans of Non Comic Book Franchises can be just as toxic. You are seeing a real level of toxicity building between the Star Wars fans the Avatar/Cameron fans.

Star Wars fans are probably much more at war with themselves than with Cameron fans

On 9/9/2019 at 1:38 PM, The Chad DC said:

Enjoy the moment. CBMs will never get more legitimized. In a decade, people will look back at this era as the one that killed the value of cinema.

"This era is the best it will get"  and "this era killed cinema" are pretty contradictory statements but okay

I also think people shouldn't put too much stock in a festival that was happy to give an award to a literal convicted pedophile who fled America to escape justice for his horrific raping of children

Edited by SpiderByte
  • ...wtf 1