Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

14 minutes ago, langer said:

To celebrate this thread reaching 1000 pages, I'd like to express my opinion on the following franchises:

Star Wars :  Luke was properly portrayed in The Last Jedi

MCU : Tony was not the hero of Endgame, - he wouldn't have snapped if he had known it would kill him - Also Infinity Wars was part 1 and Endgame was part 2

DCEU : Snyder deserves credit for the Wonder Woman script

X-Men : X-Men The Last Stand was pretty good

Avatar : This is not a franchise.  At least not yet...  and maybe never.  I still think this will get delayed to 202X...

Harry Potter : Old Harry scene at the end of DH2 was cringe worthy

LOTR : Visual effects in the Hobbit series were better than in the LOTR

Transformers : Shia Leboeuf was a pretty good actor

That's all. 

Oh you.

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Man of Steel is one of the most divisive superhero movies right now

I am not sure how relevant that is, I could see ads and message still work as long the movies are seen.

One major and arguably important difference between some title is how much the audience is aware that they are watching military propaganda or not, when you go to see a Top Gun movie you are paying and wanting an US Air Force ads, when you are watching a Zero Dark Thirty you do not feel that it is has obviously propaganda that you are watching.

There is a continuum when a movie make it really explicit like a Man of steel (Consideration to join the National Guard increased by 50%)

https://www.lmo.com/work/army-national-guard-soldier-of-steel-campaign

A Transform and a Captain Marvel vs movie that do not and are more subtitle about it, there also a case by case to be made about how much control the military had and how they effectively influenced the movie (not that auto-censorship will not be a giant factor here, but potentially a Captain Philips that got the script approved on the first read is a different story than for movies that actually made change requested by the military).

Also did the studio really needed to trade pentagon approval over the movie for access to hardware or was it greed, Malick made Thin Red Line with scene like that after all:

Without a SH movie budget:

On the other hand, there are many films that refused Pentagon script approval, such as Apocalypse Now (1979), Platoon (1986) Forrest Gump (1994) and The Thin Red Line (1998).

It would be healthy to have healthy budget movie portraying the military a lot without having their script proof read and changed by the Pentagon, to balance the views.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You clearly didn't read all of what I said. And yes, it's hard spread your influence through shitty products, ie. MoS and Green Lantern.

Based on how much money MoS made, I'm pretty there are plenty of people out there who don't see it as a shitty product. But keep peddling this silly argument. 

48 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Based on how much money MoS made, I'm pretty there are plenty of people out there who don't see it as a shitty product. But keep peddling this silly argument. 

The only silly person here is the one looking it at a Marvel vs DC argument and not the biggest franchise of all time (that still continues to use military propaganda to this day) vs everything else. 

I'm honestly not even sure what your problem is. You first talked about how the conversation shouldn't be taken away from Joker and now this. Marvel, Man of Steel, Transformers, whatever. This kind of propaganda is absolute shit and should be taken more seriously than anything to do with Joker.

Edited by lorddemaxus

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The only silly person here is the one looking it at a Marvel vs DC argument and not the biggest franchise of all time (that still continues to use military propaganda to this day) vs everything else. 

I'm honestly not even sure what your problem is. You first talked about how the conversation shouldn't be taken away from Joker and now this. Marvel, Man of Steel, Transformers, whatever. This kind of propaganda is absolute shit and should be taken more seriously than anything to do with Joker.

I think we should personally calm down and read a little less into both movies. I mean, I could say what I personally believe to be propaganda but that wouldn't be okay.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

They(DC movies exception are there but) aren't well regarded because they are not good enough that even general audience care about them. Also I don't get this military thing if it's only exclusive to US but none of that matters to GA and others. This is really weird. I can understand why people have problem with Joker cause in US gun laws are not strong and people generally blame the murderer as mental disability like every fucking single time thats why glorifying Joker or having something related to with it and the recent mass shootings is what have critics concerned. This is a serious problem in US.

Gee, I was in the US Army; guess that makes me a evil fascist...……I fully expect to be called a baby killer before long.

Does anybody here really think abolishing the military is a realistic possibility in today;s world. It's about as realistic as abolishing the police force.

But in a age when right wing stupidity is running rampant, probably a good thing to be reminded the left is equally capable of really stupid crap.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why? Because you say so? Lol 

I'd say your attempt at placing qualifiers on why we should care more about propaganda in Marvel movies is doing more to perpetuate fandom bs than anything else. Carry on. 

8 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Why? Because you say so? Lol 

Yes. Also because when the military does it, it's literally propaganda that's being intentionally sold to consumers and unless you are saying Phillips is trying to intentionally indoctrinate white men into becoming murderers and unless movies like Joker have actually had some affect (they never ever have) the same way military propaganda has had in blockbuster movies, it's nowhere near as bad.

And I literally ended my last point by saying, everyone doing it is bad. I focused on Marvel because they are literally the biggest franchise right now and they are STILL doing it. MoS released 6 years ago and Transformers was relevant 5 years ago. 

You seem so adamant to execuse Marvel just because "everyone else does it". Its just a weak whataboutism that's clearly there to serve your bias.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yes. Also because when the military does it, it's literally propaganda that's being intentionally sold to consumers and unless you are saying Phillips is trying to intentionally indoctrinate white men into becoming murderers and unless movies like Joker have actually had some affect (they never ever have) the same way military propaganda has had in blockbuster movies, it's nowhere near as bad.

And I literally ended my last point by saying, everyone doing it is bad. I focused on Marvel because they are literally the biggest franchise right now and they are STILL doing it. MoS released 6 years ago and Transformers was relevant 5 years ago. 

You seem so adamant to execuse Marvel just because "everyone else does it". Its just a weak whataboutism that's clearly there to serve your bias.

So anybody who served in the Military is a Murderer? Nice.

Edited by dudalb

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This has to be the most hilarious and ironic thing you've said yet. The only reason we are even talking about Marvel right now is because of the criticism Joker is getting. If that ain't the perfect example of "whataboutism".. lmao. 

You haven't once seen me excuse or defend Marvel. The point is, don't use Mavel or its popularity as an excuse for why other movies shouldn't be critiqued. But I get that doing so serves your own bias. Self awareness on zero, I see.

By the way, I saw tweets about military propaganda and promotion in Captain Marvel when the movie was in theaters. So it's not like this wasn't already being discussed. Seems you just hate that Joker isn't getting a pass for its wannabe edgy tale that's already been told and by better filmmakers.  

Edited by Ororo Munroe

I wish I could get a handle on what exactly the problem some people have with the concept of a Joker stand-alone is. Sure, when it was first announced, I didn’t like the idea of it either, but at the time, that was mostly because I was hoping that DC would be able to make a steady recovery with their cinematic universe after the success of Wonder Woman (remember, the project was first announced before Justice League tanked). At this point, though, why not? DC can’t compete with Marvel, so why not do something that Marvel would never do?

Is the problem that the Joker shouldn’t have a backstory, or do people really believe that portraying the Joker as a tragic villain will somehow incite violence? If it’s the former, then I’d normally agree with that, but considering that Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker is supposedly never going to face off against a version of Batman, I don’t think it matters. If it’s the latter, well, I’ve already expressed my thoughts on that over on the Joker forum. 

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wish I could get a handle on what exactly the problem some people have with the concept of a Joker stand-alone is. Sure, when it was first announced, I didn’t like the idea of it either, but at the time, that was mostly because I was hoping that DC would be able to make a steady recovery with their cinematic universe after the success of Wonder Woman (remember, the project was first announced before Justice League tanked). At this point, though, why not? DC can’t compete with Marvel, so why not do something that Marvel would never do?

Is the problem that the Joker shouldn’t have a backstory, or do people really believe that portraying the Joker as a tragic villain will somehow incite violence? If it’s the former, then I’d normally agree with that, but considering that Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker is supposedly never going to face off against a version of Batman, I don’t think it matters. If it’s the latter, well, I’ve already expressed my thoughts on that over on the Joker forum. 

I think people have become so enamored of the shared CBM they can't think in terms of a stand alone film.

Irony is that the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy is stand alone; no other DC charecters outside the Batman franchise exist in it.

But DC does seem to have beaten Marvel to the punch on this.

Although I understand that there is nothing in the film that says it could not exist in the current DC universe (it happened quite a  few years before the current DCU) 'it's just there is no direct connection.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I think people have become so enamored of the shared CBM they can't think in terms of a stand alone film.

Irony is that the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy is stand alone; no other DC charecters outside the Batman franchise exist in it.

But DC does seem to have beaten Marvel to the punch on this.

Although I understand that there is nothing in the film that says it could not exist in the current DC universe (it happened quite a  few years before the current DCU) 'it's just there is no direct connection.

Or... some people simply aren't interested in a Joker standalone film. Count me as one of those people. 

3 hours ago, HeadShot said:

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2019

Yikes, these EG numbers are kinda low, no? Unless it sold excessively digitally because people couldn't wait. :apocalypse:

Yeah EG digital sales are ridiculous.... It was downloaded like 5-6 million times in a single day or something. But yeah DVD sales and Blu-Ray sales are gonna take a hit in the digitised era. So there's that.

8 hours ago, Nero said:

Yeah EG digital sales are ridiculous.... It was downloaded like 5-6 million times in a single day or something. But yeah DVD sales and Blu-Ray sales are gonna take a hit in the digitised era. So there's that.

Sources for this? I never saw a figure specified.