Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

DC fanbros whining again that critical praise is not unanimous for a movie and cry conspiracy

Imagine having one of the currently buzziest movies and STILL bitching endlessly about how Marvel is somehow controlling all reviews?

When do you ever see this kind of behavior for any other fandom, demanding critics fall in line with their take of a movie they haven't seen and then "investigating" fake conspiracies? They've slid entirely into the comics gate brain-worms bullshit in ways no other movie fandom has (save MAYBE Alita)

Edited by SpiderByte

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

DC fanbros whining again that critical praise is not unanimous for a movie and cry conspiracy

Imagine having one of the currently buzziest movies and STILL bitching endlessly about how Marvel is somehow controlling all reviews?

Why are you so obsessed with DC fanboys lmao. Like, who cares what they think

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

When do you ever see this kind of behavior for any other fandom, demanding critics fall in line with their take of a movie they haven't seen and then "investigating" fake conspiracies? They've slid entirely into the comics gate brain-worms bullshit in ways no other movie fandom has (save MAYBE Alita)

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

unsure but find MCU films dont sell that epic on Home Video it seems...

but they get rewatched a lot like crazy oddly so its weird lol 

They generally sell as well or better than any other comparatively B.O. sized films currently (look at the top of the combined charts on The Numbers) in physical media. Digital downloads meanwhile have outpaced physical media.  AIW was Disney's highest ever digital download.  No reports from Disney yet on AEG in the US but in it's first week it smashed the record for digital downloads in the U.K.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2019/09/james-camerons-reaction-to-avatar-losing-box-office-crown-relief-1202731591/#comments

James Cameron’s Reaction To ‘Avatar’ Losing Box Office Crown: Relief

“It gives me a lot of hope,” Cameron told Deadline. “Avengers: Endgame is demonstrable proof that people will still go to movie theaters. The thing that scared me most about making Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 was that the market might have shifted so much that it simply was no longer possible to get people that excited about going and sitting in a dark room with a bunch of strangers to watch something.”

“Will Avatar 2 and 3 be able to create that kind of success in the zeitgeist? Who knows. We’re trying. Maybe we do, maybe we don’t, but the point is, it’s still possible,” Cameron said. “I’m happy to see it, as opposed to an alternate scenario where, with the rapid availability, custom-designed experience that everybody can create for themselves with streaming services and all the different platforms, that [theatrical potential] might not have existed anymore.”

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

How long until the death threats against critics start, a la BvS?

The conspiracy shit started with BvS, and it has gotten worse since.

We a couple of DC fanboys here who, like clockwork, post the "Disney buys the critics" crap on a regular basis.

What has happened with "The Joker" is a controversy over the violence in a film which is almost a mirror image of the fuss over violence that happened with "A Clockwork Orange" back in 1971. Yeah, a lot of the reviews are, IMHO, pretty stupid (fear  the film will trigger acts of mass violence for instance)

but the way the extreme DC fanboys overreact is just as stupid. "HOW DARE PEOPLE NOT LIKE SOMETHING I LIKE!"

Every fandom has a idiotic extreme fringe with it's own particular method;with the extreme DC fans it's hatred of any criticism whatsoever of DC films.

5 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

People watch them once and forget about them. Most forgettable movies of all time. Excluding avengers one of course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

5 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

And even without re watch/actually opening the dvd I would imagine it is among the most collected movies out there.

Before EndGame I thought because they had for a while a very high profil Netflix release with that window coming fast, now that EndGame/Captain Marvel seem to play similary to the previous one without a Netflix release maybe it was a non-factor after all.

1) One obvious factor they do better relatively to other big movie on EST/digital renting, that explain at least with they underperform on physical renting, the target population for those movies is probably more online/techno/younger than some other.

2) Price:

on Amazon US:

Black Panther.: $20.36 BR, $14.96 DVD

Captain Marvel: $25.00 BR, $14.65 DVD

AvengerEndGame: $25.00 BR, $19.96 DVD

AvengerInfiWar: $19.96 BR, $19.97 DVD

Aquaman.......: $18.33 BR, $13.00 DVD

Shazam........: $18.90 BR, $12.70 DVD

Venom.........: $16.99 BR, $14.99 DVD

They do not offer any cheaps physical option for the Avengers title, even the DVD of an somewhat old Infinity war is more pricey than an Aquaman bluray.

3) Inflated box office by rewatcher/lesser proportion of people waiting for tuesday/paying the high ticket price for the PLF views, their actual viewer by $ is probably quite lower than the other, that said the same would go for a Star Wars and those were monster on physical media sale.

I was impressed by the number of replies in the Avatar 2 thread and went to check the most replied threads. Since they're split in several forums, it's hard for me to check, but was the BVS thread the biggest of all time, with over 54,000 replies?

Damn that's a lot, that movie is truly iconic and a modern classic.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/9728-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-extended-edition-now-available-on-video/

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I was impressed by the number of replies in the Avatar 2 thread and went to check the most replied threads. Since they're split in several forums, it's hard for me to check, but was the BVS thread the biggest of all time, with over 54,000 replies?

Damn that's a lot, that movie is truly iconic and a modern classic.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/9728-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-extended-edition-now-available-on-video/

Imagine if the theatrical cut made sense. Would have broken all the records.

No movie will ever reach that hype. It had decades long hype.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

As much as I liked to believe at the time that BvS had a lot of hype behind it, I sadly don’t think that was the case in hindsight. Maybe it was because of how divisive Man of Steel was, but people seemed pretty apprehensive about the film from the moment it was announced. That’s not to say there was zero hype for it, but it wasn’t all across the board like it was for The Force Awakens or Endgame. With the exception of the Comic Con trailer, the marketing was pretty divisive, as were the casting choices. 

There was never any chance that it would score the highest OW of all time. I don’t even think it would’ve crossed $200 million on OW. Sure, it had a higher opening day than something like The Avengers, but that’s because it had Thursday night previews and Good Friday going for it. 

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

So DC Comics just hired  a fucking

MURDERER 

to write a new Batman/Superman spin off.

How glib can you be really ?

Which goes to show the sad state of comic books today. 

It funny how she gets support, even though it's obvious that she's a lying psycho. After Holowka's suicide, someone pointed out that her tweets during the period she claimed she was abused by him pretty much prove she was lying about most of the alleged abuse. It's a shame what this industry has come into.

• Knock It Off 1