Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, Alexdube said:

If you think there is a right and wrong answer to this, I'm curious to know how you explain what makes The Godfather a part I / part II / part III situation but not your Avengers movie.

the_godfather_part_2-al-pacino-poster.jp

Um Godfather is a trilogy not a "part" series. Each movie has it's own ending. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexdube said:

If you think there is a right and wrong answer to this, I'm curious to know how you explain what makes The Godfather a part I / part II / part III situation but not your Avengers movie.

the_godfather_part_2-al-pacino-poster.jp

Well, for one, IW and EG aren’t called part 1 and part 2. But in all seriousness, calling it The Godfather Part I/ Part Ii/Part III was just the title. It wasn’t one movie that was split into 3 parts. Unless you believe that all franchises are just 1 movie split into multiple installments. But no one believes that. I don’t think I have to define what a franchise is for anyone.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was one movie split into 2 parts. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay was one movie split into 2 parts. IW and EG are 2 distinct movies, with 2 different plots. They are both installments in the same franchise, but they are not the same movie. In order to believe they are the same movie, a person would have to have not understood the plots of IW and EG. Additionally, Kevin Feige was quoted in the article posted above stating that they are 2 distinct movies.

Edited by Walt Disney

5 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Well, for one, IW and EG aren’t called part 1 and part 2. But in all seriousness, calling it The Godfather Part I/ Part Ii/Part III was just the title. It wasn’t one movie that was split into 3 parts. Unless you believe that all franchises are just 1 movie split into multiple installments. But no one believes that. I don’t think I have to define what a franchise is for anyone.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was one movie split into 2 parts. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay was one movie split into 2 parts. IW and EG are 2 distinct movies, with 2 different plots. They are both installments in the same franchise, but they are not the same movie. In order to believe they are the same movie, a person would have to have not understood the plots of IW and EG. Additionally, Kevin Feige was quoted in the article posted above stating that they are 2 distinct movies.

You can easily argue that both movies are part of the same plot. Again all of this is semantics and editorial decisions. You could also easily call them Avengers: Infinity War Part I and Avengers: Infinity War Part II and no one would be confused and say that it's "wrong" (except maybe you).

Listen this is cinema not algebra. There are no black & white answers to this not matter how hard you try to convince yourself

4 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Then there was the 1974/75 Three and Four Musketeers, where the decision to split the film into two films was not made until a couple of months before the film came out. It was shot as a Three and half hour epic,covering the entire Dumas novel,  with the actors signed to make one film, but the studio decided to split it into two films.with the breaking point being where the Intermission was going to be. Luckily for them, you had a complete story in the first half of the novel, the "Queen's Necklace" story; if fact most of the previous film versions of the novel only covered the first half.

Created quite a fuss, nothing like that had been done before,and the actors sued the studio over it, claiming they were paid for one film instead of two, The case was settled out of court, with the actors getting a hefty bonus. And every contract in the industry from then on included a clause about the actor getting more money if the film was released in two parts.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Alright let's change the topic. Not looking good for Spidey huh?

You know, this routine of the Cameron fanboys basically wishing bad luck for every franchise that is not a Cameron franchise has gotten really old.

55 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You know, this routine of the Cameron fanboys basically wishing bad luck for every franchise that is not a Cameron franchise has gotten really old.

oh don't make me cry, you know there's about 90% of the people on this forum just dying to watch Terminator fail

• ...wtf 1

14 hours ago, Alexdube said:

oh don't make me cry, you know there's about 90% of the people on this forum just dying to watch Terminator fail

I'm dying to watch Terminator

• Haha 1

Christ the DC fanboys are going to be insufferable over this Joker shit. When were Marvel fans this pretentious when Black Panther was in contention?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Christ the DC fanboys are going to be insufferable over this Joker shit. When were Marvel fans this pretentious when Black Panther was in contention?

We’re winning the $$$ so don’t really care about awards that much. If we’d crossed 2 billon marks in the 2010s instead of 11 I bet people would have been more invested in the BP BP nom.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Maybe because Black Panther was never a serious contender for any relevant win, and even Marvel fans must admit to themselves the BP nom was undeserved.

Joker was also on the same place as a film (only Joaquin Phoenix in acting categories was considered to have a chance). The best picture win at Venice was a total surprise, and changes things for the movie going into awards season.

• ...wtf 1

Kristen Stewart clarified her interview involving Marvel.

Nor does she think the roles she’s offered have changed since being an out queer actor — and she cited Marvel only because she was illustrating “it was literally just a big conglomerate-y type thing.”

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/kristen-stewart-gay-superhero-1203327460/

I mean, that was obvious before, but it's amazing the ability of some people around here to misunderstand some things

Edited by Seto Kaiba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Kristen Stewart clarified her interview involving Marvel.

I mean, that was obvious before, but it's amazing the ability of some people around here to misunderstand some things

You mean the perseverance. 

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Well to be frank, at least half of MCU fans were bitter over the recognition BP received, as they thought IW was more deserving (lol). They were not as pretentious as I imagine DC fans are but Joker is still a long way away from winning big awards. An Oscar nom is certainly not a lock outside of JP in lead actor, perhaps. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Maybe because Black Panther was never a serious contender for any relevant win, and even Marvel fans must admit to themselves the BP nom was undeserved.

Joker was also on the same place as a film (only Joaquin Phoenix in acting categories was considered to have a chance). The best picture win at Venice was a total surprise, and changes things for the movie going into awards season.

You mean other than the three categories that it won in?

And it's not like Jokers winning Best Picture either. Look at how many movies that win the Golden Lion also win best picture. Maybe it'll give a needed reality check.

Let's not pretend DC fans aren't going to use this to make call every single fucking movie they make that's even halfway decent "high art" unless it's a complete turkey like Green Lantern, Jonah Hex or Justice League, like they did since 2008 with all the DCEU movies till JL. They even shit themselves when Aquaman wasn't nominated.

The "DC movies are REAL TRUE CINEMA, unlike Marvel movies" shit from that fandom had finally died out after a fucking decade of that shit and now it's already back.

Edited by SpiderByte

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

We’re winning the $$$ so don’t really care about awards that much. If we’d crossed 2 billon marks in the 2010s instead of 11 I bet people would have been more invested in the BP BP nom.

"we"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

"we"

Not quite sure what you’re getting at here. The pronoun pretty clearly dereferences to “MCU fans.” Are you surprised to learn that I’m an MCU fan 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Not quite sure what you’re getting at here. The pronoun pretty clearly dereferences to “MCU fans.” Are you surprised to learn that I’m an MCU fan 🤔

More so in that you're not "winning the $$$" since you guys aren't shareholders at Disney (outside of @Walt Disney I guess)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Since 2013 DC fans became like Trump/Qanon supporters, any critical setback is a massive conspiracy against them and they're convinced they're  both somehow on top and everyone loves them and a hated put-upon group with the world against them. It'll be interesting to see how they weave Jokers success into the narrative that Geoff Johns was secretly bribed by Marvel to sell them scripts to Batman V Superman and two Justice League movies so Marvel could use broad plot elements (heroes fighting and time travel) to make them look bad, and that Disney pays Rotten Tomatoes to make specifically and only certain DC movies to have bad reviews.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Not Cool 2