Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

12 minutes ago, Goffe said:

But Avatar (and pretty much every Cameron movie) has the better direction, so it wins by default.

Directing is more than camera angles and lighting and I'm more interested in content, characters and performances than the wrapping and if it doesn't improve or inform the later it's meaningless.    I haven't much liked a Cameron movie in over two decades.

Edited by TalismanRing

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's the irony really.

Talisman: Directing is more than camera angles and lighting and I'm more interested in content, characters and performances than the package.  A pretty package is nice but for me it's the frosting not the cake. I haven't much liked a Cameron movie in over two decades.

IronJimbo: Oh so what do you like?

Talisman: Marvel films.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's the irony really.

Talisman: Directing is more than camera angles and lighting and I'm more interested in content, characters and performances than the package.  A pretty package is nice but for me it's the frosting not the cake. I haven't much liked a Cameron movie in over two decades.

IronJimbo: Oh so what do you like?

Talisman: Marvel films.

Yawn.  It's a matter of taste and I unlike you am not limited to banging the drum of one director or film series.

• Like 3

You mean superficial and inconsequential melodrama packged in the most formulaic character arcs and tired plot beats, plus it looks rather unimpressive? Kill with fucking fire.

And direction is more than just pretty pictures. It's about knowing when to stop and when it's not working, it's making even the most cliche stories work, it's knowing how to build a moment, and yes, it's about shooting "pretty pictures".

They don't call movies a director's medium for nothing.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Just now, Goffe said:

You mean superficial and inconsequential melodrama packged in the most formulaic character arcs and tired plot beats, plus it looks rather unimpressive? Kill with fucking fire.

And direction is more than just pretty pictures. It's about knowing when to stop and when it's not working, it's about making even the most cliche stories work, it's knowing how to build a moment, and yes it's about knowing how to shoot "pretty pictures".

We weren't discussing the X-Men series were we? 

Yeah he doesn't make those cliches work.  In his hands it's dull trite pablum.  He's not Spielberg.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Goffe said:

James Cameron FTW, dude knows how to make movies. To even say Marvel in general is on the same level as JC is offensive to the art.

Look Marvel is the highest grossing franchise and they are popular and JC movie Avatar is an overrated piece of shit and I do not care about it sequels. It will gross huge overseas but probably fall behind in NA.

2 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

Look Marvel is the highest grossing franchise and they are popular and JC movie Avatar is an overrated piece of shit and I do not care about it sequels. It will gross huge overseas but probably fall behind in NA.

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time.

I do not want to get into a flame war but I known that! MCU is the highest grossing franchise. I feel like Avatar 2 will gross less than Infinity War since that will kick Avatar 2 ass and stars Earths mightiest heroes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Marvel is more relevant in pop culture.

I should hope so, Avatar is an original film (highest grossing of all time) which isn't a sequel or based on a comic book or regular book.

The Avatar series however, will be relevant in the same way Lord of the Rings was : )

I literally just had this argument with someone about Avatar. 

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time. When it came out, it had mind blowing visuals and it was an event type film. It's weekend to weekend drops were insane. 

People for some reason call it a piece of crap now but that's only because the technology we have now a days is totally different than 2009. 

But when it came out, don't tell me people weren't freaking out over it and how great it was visually. 

Visually speaken, it's one of the greatest of all time. It's why it grossed as much as it did because people wanted to see how great it was for themselves. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2